Insurance Quotes - Complete madness.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insurance Quotes - Complete madness.
What are peoples thoughts on this? I currently have an insurance policy with Elephant. It is due to end on the 9th of this month. So of course I have started looking around on-line for quotes.

I noticed last year that just before my Elephant policy ran out that they disappeared from comparethemarket. (Elephant, Admiral, and Bell all went. They are usually the cheapest quotes I get)

This year exactly the same has happened. Elephant know my policy is coming to an end so they and their sister companies pull out of advertising on comparethemarket. So I decided to try something today after I had a ridiculous quote from a chat with elephant about continuing my policy with them.

I decided to change one letter of my name on the compare the market website. This could be seen as a typo. Instead of putting Taylor I put in Taylot (One letter away on the keyboard)

I changed no other policy details and instantly Elephant, Admiral, and Bell all were back in my online quotes. They had also managed to knock a whopping £600 off the quote I was given to on the phone for being an "existing valued customer"
Anyone else think that the way insurance run is crazy? Maybe if we make a typo every now and then it might possibly save us £600 haha.

Original Quotes with correctly spelled name.
[Image: 2hcjeyf.jpg]

Quotations with incorrectly spelled name but the same details.
[Image: 1z3m5ck.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Where did you get the idea you were valued as a customer? Its all new customer discounts these days! lol

That's still a hell of a lot for a HDi though. Confused
Thanks given by:
Yeah but £600!!! complete madness. Would it be wrong (Do you reckon it would work) If I signed up to that £830 quote and then just phone up and say sorry I spelled my name wrong on the website. Surely they can't then charge £600 for the privelidge of having an R at the end of my name? haha

And yeah. I don't have the greatest of history with driving :/ Although the last 2 years have been squeaky clean Smile
Thanks given by:
Try brentacre bud.
Nothing online, call them. Chat. Get a great service and price.
Mention 306oc too!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oops, ok I won't ask what you've done then. lol

Tbh, I've got my name wrong on insurance a couple of times (but I do have a stupid surname lol ) but that's ok cos its always wrong on V5s as well. lol

Tbh if you phone them now and say that you accidentally spelt your name wrong and saw the price difference, I reckon they'd be willing to drop it... I doubt you'll get it as low as being a new customer though, I just switch between them each year for the 'new' discount every time. lol
Thanks given by:
It is still a bit high really :/
Age and where you live can have a lot to do with prices, getting a girlfriend or another driver on it can lower it in some cases too Wink

As for insurance companies and comparison sites...well, they are all shysters! They make deals with each other and runs rates on ads,.. sometimes playing insurance companies off against each other can get some deals Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Yeah that was what I was thinking to be honest. Just try and make them feel like idiots and lower the price. It's a bit of a difficult one. I will definitly give brentacre a try though Smile Cheers Smile

I wasn't the best in my first car and it has given me a bit of a history that I still pay for but I have stopped being so much of a muppet in my newer cars and its paying off now Smile
Thanks given by:
Admiral wanted £500 for the 306 and £500 for the astra. Rang them up and got it down to £600 for both cars with multicar on a 12month policy. I hate admiral with a passion so stuck with chris knott even if it meant paying a little more
Thanks given by:
Its worth noting that if you're going stage 2, Admiral group don't allow intercooler mods...
Thanks given by:
Oooh did not know that one :/
Thanks given by:
Nor did I until it was too late. Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
i was quoted only an extra £1000 to add the 1.8 onto my saab policy.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 07:32 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Admiral wanted £500 for the 306 and £500 for the astra. Rang them up and got it down to £600 for both cars with multicar on a 12month policy. I hate admiral with a passion so stuck with chris knott even if it meant paying a little more

Last time i tried that they wanted 600 for my dtub and 600 for my ax gti ..... or 1800 for them both on one policy!! WTAF!!

Conclusion. Insurance companies literally pull a number out their arse and thats that.
Thanks given by:
I'd sign up with the typo, and then you can probs change it online anyway Tongue

That's bang out of order though, I'm sure that can't be legal!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink The quotes thread Jonny81191 12 3,723 26-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Last Post: THE_Liam
  Insurance quotes online RJDubya 6 2,025 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Last Post: RJDubya
  Madness in the Desert: Paris to Dakar Eeyore 3 970 27-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Eeyore