Zx Estate | GT20

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zx Estate | GT20
Have bought Chris' zx estate

Has replaced the white volcane as the 'family' car - as 3 doors just not cutting it atm

Came with a couple of known issues, mostly around the fuel pump problems and general gutless performance - but working on that!

[Image: IMG_3531_zpsiesfgh1y.jpg]]

[Image: IMG_3595_zps5wximbwi.jpg]

Just a quick recap on current specs >

1.9 XUD
GT2052s
ARP headstuds
Full leather interior 

Has also had some other bits n bobs done recently, namely new clutch, powerflex wishbones bushes, solid gearlinkages ..etc ..etc

First thing was to tackle the fuel pump being in all sorts of bother after an attempted gov mod >

[Image: IMG_3533_zpsv7huqamx.jpg]

Won't go into too much detail, maybe you can spot a few things in the pic - but a few things gone wrong / been done incorrectly. Had to replace a couple of internal components and try setting up from scratch.

It is running a heck of a lot better now, but still not 100% - may well need to have the pump apart again and take a good look / reseal.

Next was to remove the coilovers and put on some zx volcane / 16v springs and struts.

Coilovers are great if you want infinitely adjustable lows - but for a daily / familywagon and living in a speedbump riddled London made sense to go back to a decent spring / strut option. Plus I think the ride height looks better / attracts less attention.

[Image: coilovers_zpsdvucwmaa.jpg]

Whilst I was at it I replaced the front wing which was a bit ropey for a spare I had
[Image: IMG_3712_zpsnhokapgf.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3707_zps9fc1xbgw.jpg]

Found a genuine french (probably) snail under the wing too

[Image: IMG_3708_zpso2z3gjgu.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3710_zps7txt23ah.jpg]

One of the rear window regs was gone too, so swapped that out 

What a farce of a job that was! Two variations on window regs apparently, but easy enough to change out the fitting in the bottom of the window

[Image: IMG_3714_zpsomtsgmjj.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3715_zpsgseqoe2k.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3717_zpstkeqrnnq.jpg]

It's had a couple of service items, rear brake cylinders, TRE and a front wheel bearing and driving nicely atm

So along with tidying up a few boost leaks and putting the pump halfway to working, its definitely picking up a lot more like it should be.

No immediate plans atm, might go with some 266mm brakes if I can fit them under the 14s and put another front wing on the other side.
Thanks given by:
This is the one he gov modded then couldn't get to run right isn't it? Can't see very well in my phone, looks a little rusty, what was the issue then? as I was trying to help Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Knew it wouldn't take you long to get stuck in to it. Looks fairly rust free under the wing, what's the inner like?

Funny looking 306 btw :p
Thanks given by:
What was the cause of the running fault?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 11:07 AM)ADV_93 Wrote: What was the cause of the running fault?

Multiple issues
Thanks given by:

he put the gov in backwards Tongue
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Glad to see you got a thread going now.

266s fit fine under 14s iirc, I had them on my zx.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 10:39 AM)Paul Baldwin Wrote: Knew it wouldn't take you long to get stuck in to it. Looks fairly rust free under the wing, what's the inner like?

Funny looking 306 btw :p

most of my 306s have been funny looking Smile

its been patched up on the turrets and inside the engine bay

(02-09-2015, 11:30 AM)Piggy Wrote: Glad to see you got a thread going now.

266s fit fine under 14s iirc, I had them on my zx.

not sure on these 14 inch alloys maybe they do, but clearance on the 247 is minimal!
Thanks given by:
Glad to see this go to someone who will make the most of it, look forward to seeing developments!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 11:21 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

Just for clarification, it wasn't in backwards

(02-09-2015, 01:08 PM)Poodle Wrote: Glad to see this go to someone who will make the most of it, look forward to seeing developments!

Cheers dude

I'll prob say there aren't going to be any developments forthcoming due to it being a daily family bus, but we all know something will happen

I mean lets face it, I daily the black one and that started out as a stop gap with no plans
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 01:08 PM)Poodle Wrote: Glad to see this go to someone who will make the most of it, look forward to seeing developments!

Couldn't agree more! lol Though I was quite tempted to snap it up myself to replace the hdi, I think it will get a better life with Tom. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hehe. So......Drop it on the Dyno?! ....

To make sure it doesn't smoke / optimise mpg tho....right....?!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 05:34 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 11:21 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:

Just for clarification, it wasn't in backwards

Cheers dude

I'll prob say there aren't going to be any developments forthcoming due to it being a daily family bus, but we all know something will happen

I mean lets face it, I daily the black one and that started out as a stop gap with no plans
spoilsport lol, it's impossible to put the gov in backwards, everyone knows that Big Grin
Thanks given by: Tmcilvar
I bet the pump took minutes to fix Wink when I was first selling this I was massively disappointed to be selling it (her in doors wasn't happy with it) but after tom drove it and said its "flat as fook" performance wise I was happy to see the back of it. Hopefully with your knowledge it will make an epic car. I will keep my eye on this tho be nice to see what you do to it.

Thanks given by:
(02-09-2015, 08:51 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Hehe. So......Drop it on the Dyno?! ....

To make sure it doesn't smoke / optimise mpg tho....right....?!

It would be rude not to

Also installed some inner mud guards / plastic crap shield arch things as they were missing from both front wings.

Essential to stop all the crap / winter rain / salt / from getting up where it shouldn't and rotting the shell away
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2015, 07:48 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: I bet the pump took minutes to fix Wink when I was first selling this I was massively disappointed to be selling it (her in doors wasn't happy with it) but after tom drove it and said its "flat as fook" performance wise I was happy to see the back of it. Hopefully with your knowledge it will make an epic car. I will keep my eye on this tho be nice to see what you do to it.

Not fixed unfortunately but running a lot better, swarf has been through the pump due bits hitting / shearing against bits it shouldn't have - so doubtful the head will be best pleased with that as the tolerances on these are stupidly fine.

It will be getting either another pump or a strip down / rebuild / new head as and when I've got the time or space to do it.
Thanks given by:
I might have a spare pump lying about that needs a rebuild and i think its missing some minor exterior bits. Probably ideal for you
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2015, 10:34 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I might have a spare pump lying about that needs a rebuild and i think its missing some minor exterior bits. Probably ideal for you

That does sound rather ideal tbh
Thanks given by:
Nice random piggy quote there lol

Glad to see this has ended up in your hands tom Smile Should make for a lovely daily
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2015, 09:26 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Nice random piggy quote there lol

Glad to see this has ended up in your hands tom Smile Should make for a lovely daily

Edited Wink
Thanks given by:
spoilsport ninja
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Had another quick gander at the turbo and made some choice adjustments to the wastegate setup which has dramatically improved spool

This thing fair flies now

Hope to get time to make a new wategate bracket and throw another fuel pump on and this thing will be an epic little car

[Image: IMG_3842_zpstqtwvhxd.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Shweet!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
replaced top engine mount and gearbox mount the other day

has stopped the engine moving about so much!

[Image: IMG_4017_zpsupjfddtf.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4021_zpsgk1jmftb.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks like it probably sits higher now too!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Nope, chocks up the same
Thanks given by:
Cool car man!! can't be many estates left on the roads?
Thanks given by:
(09-10-2015, 11:28 PM)Ricky volcane Wrote: Cool car man!! can't be many estates left on the roads?

don't think there are unfortunately, my first zx was an td estate too
Thanks given by:
So this is still going strong

Mot'd it last month, nothing major required which was a bonus

Clutch started slipping though, so have rectified that with a paddle clutch.

Updates with photos to come.
Thanks given by:
Yaaaaassss
Thanks given by: