DervMafia Eddy Current Dyno Upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DervMafia Eddy Current Dyno Upgrade
Well I thought after people found the last Dyno thread quite interesting that I would share this here to for anyone who is interested.

As most people know back along I bought and rebuilt a Clayton water brake chassis dyno for use in the workshop etc. Well after using it since putting it in, I have had numerous people offer good money for the unit, so ended up putting it on ebay to get an idea of its value, which turned out to be quite a bit more than expected, enough so that I realised I could likely fund a bigger / more capable unit pretty much entirely from the sale of the old one provided I could find something that needed work, hence cheap!

So the decision was made / took a risk and put it on EBay for real and let it sell, of which it did, so the time came to remove it!

So first step was to get all the covers etc off from around the dyno and begin dissconnecting everything..

[Image: DSC_0198.jpg]

Followed by splitting the dyno in half, and lifting it out:

[Image: DSC_0211.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0215.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0216.jpg]

Leaving a rather dirty messy hole (Amazing how much crap builds up in such a short period of time!)

[Image: DSC_0221.jpg]

So carried on removing the water tank / control gear etc and got everything up in the shed ready for collection:

[Image: DSC_0225.jpg]

Tried to label up all the wiring / plumbing to make it easy for the new owner to get setup

[Image: DSC_0219.jpg]

And then the chap turned up, and we managed to squeeze the entire thing into the back of a relay van!!

[Image: DSC_0202.jpg]

So that marked the end of that, which given the amount of work / effort was quite a sad day, but after managing to find a replacement unit, were able to concentrate on getting that in from this point on!

I managed to find a Eddy Braked Sun ram for sale up country, which after speaking to the guy was pretty much bare, as in a bare dyno with no control equipment, which is exactly what I was after as these sort of situations are normally sold cheap as people want plug and play and this was far from!

So after we did a deal, Anton very kindly went up in the van to collect it and drive it down to Cornwall (many thanks once again!!)...

The new unit should be a much better unit all round really, being Eddy Braked, it will enable me to put the computer in full control of the load, allowing for quick and easy power runs , and easy steady state mode, along with the great advantages of instant responce from the retarder (ideal for our diesel creations!). It also has much larger rollers (double the size) meaning more traction, and also closer coupled, meaning less issues with super low cars....And also features an air lift, which will safe the tyre abuse getting out with cold tyres!

So first step was to open up the hole in the floor, as the new unit is much larger, so out with the air chisel, didn't bother borrowing kango for this part as concrete not that thick....

[Image: DSC_0230.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0231.jpg]

Bit of a dig out:

[Image: DSC_0232.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0258.jpg]

Next step will be to lay a new concrete pad in the base of the now much deeper / bigger hole!

Thanks for reading!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Awesome dood! Great to see pics...

Your pics always take fOReVeR to load though!?

That hole is huge!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Kudos for moving onwards and upwards fella, you did put a lot into that last one but if this is going to be better then well played. Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Ooooh look forward to seeing this progress!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2015, 11:18 AM)Piggy Wrote: Awesome dood! Great to see pics...

That hole is huge!!!

Hm sorry, I take them with a dslr, and although I do reduce them hugely, I dont reduce them as much as most "hosting" sites reduce them, hence they take a minute or two to load on slower connections Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Saw the video of the old one being removed the other day. Wondered when this was gonna pop up. Will defiantly have to come down once i have another turbo fitted to mine so mine can be fettled with.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Nice to see you moving onwards, looking forward to seeing the progress of this one. That hole is f*cking huge!

Top work as always Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2015, 11:50 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(31-08-2015, 11:18 AM)Piggy Wrote: Awesome dood! Great to see pics...

That hole is huge!!!

Hm sorry, I take them with a dslr, and although I do reduce them hugely, I dont reduce them as much as most "hosting" sites reduce them, hence they take a minute or two to load on slower connections Smile

Even on this remote island they load perfectly fine...  Itwasntme

This will be awesome once it's all up and running, would definitely love to pop down with roo and have a 'play' Big Grin
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
quick one to suggest for the hosting of pics mr Lobb..

if you reduce the size it wont necessarily reduce the size much and they will still load slow, reducing the quality down to half its original, for the purposes of hosting and viewing on most moniters, is absolutely fine and will not degrade any visible quality in the photo itself..

when saving from photoshop if you have it, reduce the canvas size to something more fitting and then save with a lower quality (3-6 is a good shout) this will substantially reduce the file size but without noticeable degredation in quality of image.

nice shout tho.. will have to come down and say hi at some point with the stage3 and do some test runs!!! (for beer of course)
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Id rather not drop the quality to much unless alot of people are having serious issues? I have a crap 2mb ADSL connection and loads pretty quick for me so assumed it would largely be ok...

If more people are having an issue I will drop the quality more before I bang them up on the server...

Anyway, next step was to lay the new concrete base....The new dyno is much deeper (much bigger rollers) than the last unit, so we had to dig down a fair bit extra, so the old pad had to go, to make way for the new one...So setup 6 inch boards, for a nice thick slab..

Mixing....did it all by hand with mixer as normal:

[Image: DSC_0268.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0281.jpg]

And the new unit in question on the trailer (heavy)

[Image: DSC_0261.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0263.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Pics load fine for me tbh, think it's just Piggys internet lol.

Those rollers are huge, where did they come from?
Thanks given by:
Pics all load fine for me but then I'm on 150mb inter webs so not really an issue.
Them rollers look mad. Never seen anything that big for car use!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Im on 4g and load straight away for me.. Strange
Thanks given by:
2 meg adsl here too, no issues for me, if I know there's a thread with loads of pics I just open in a new tab and browse elsewhere for a few seconds Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2015, 06:23 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Im on 4g and load straight away for me.. Strange

4G is like 30mb!!

I'm on 3.5-4mb but its only with darrens pics. Not to worry! 

Just watch the videos instead!! Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Pics are instant here on my phone, I do have cable tho Tongue
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
That thing is a beast! Shame it looks tatty but I'm sure you'll have it fixed up in no time. Cant wait to see the progress.
Thanks given by:
F*ck sake Darren.

Enough is never enough with you... Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(31-08-2015, 04:15 PM)toseland Wrote: quick one to suggest for the hosting of pics mr Lobb..

if you reduce the size it wont necessarily reduce the size much and they will still load slow, reducing the quality down to half its original, for the purposes of hosting and viewing on most moniters, is absolutely fine and will not degrade any visible quality in the photo itself..

when saving from photoshop if you have it, reduce the canvas size to something more fitting and then save with a lower quality (3-6 is a good shout) this will substantially reduce the file size but without noticeable degredation in quality of image.

nice shout tho.. will have to come down and say hi at some point with the stage3 and do some test runs!!! (for beer of course)

hmm wouldn't quite agree on this, wouldn't go lower than 60% quality on a jpeg, DCT compression generally produces pretty bad artefacts whilst not drastically reducing file sizes after a certain threshold - ie image quality goes in the bin and you don't get much smaller files after a certain point.

and reducing the size of an image from a modern dslr of say 4000px longest side even to just half 2000px you're looking at reducing the total number of pixel data to store by a a quarter whilst still having a decent sized image that'd prob still be too big to view full size on anything but a retina display.

TLDR : resize to something reasonable for web use 1000 - 2000px longest side and save at about 70% will yield good quality images with a fast load time.

If the forum automatically resizes images to display at a certain width, then uploading at this size will save effort on the server side in processing them (php?) and also give you better looking images.

/back on topic
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2015, 07:04 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: If the forum automatically resizes images to display at a certain width, then uploading at this size will save effort on the server side in processing them (php?) and also give you better looking images.

/back on topic

IIRC if you use the forum uploader, it creates a thumbnail which is what we all see embedded in the page at about 800px wide hence why we like to use it as its uploading a much smaller image unless you click on the thumbnail. That said, people won't use it at the moment seeing as its f*cked lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I still persevere with the forum uploader at 1000p wide, might cut my resizes to 800p. That said it's really nice to click on the forum ones and instantly get a full size image for the ones uploaded full size.
Thanks given by:
host mine offsite now as most my original pictures are missing/lost by the forum
always convert mine to 800x600 before hosting

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2015, 07:52 PM)cully Wrote: host mine offsite now as most my original pictures are missing/lost by the forum
always convert mine to 800x600 before hosting

FYI They aren't missing. We do still have them. They just aren't in the right place lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Off topic much?? Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2015, 07:53 PM)Piggy Wrote: Off topic much?? Wink

Welcome to 306oc, you must be new.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2015, 08:42 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:

Ah thanks for the welcome. 

Can I just ask, whats the best turbo and wheels for my dturbo?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
round ones Piggy? Big Grin
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Lol can we at least attempt to keep this on track, I choose to only reduce my images to 1200 x x-x-x because personally when im on forums I like to be able to open a full size image if i choose to Tongue If you don't like it I do apologise. I don't use the forum uploader as I hot link to my images from many sites, so its far easier to keep them all in one place!

Never knew starting a new dyno thread would provoke such random image discussion!!

And yes it was tatty when I bought it, but thats how I was able to get it so cheap, which is the only way these things are possible Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2015, 09:01 PM)Piggy Wrote:

'clones and 40mm drop, TD04 and welded wastegate, 11mm pump.
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2015, 09:11 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(01-09-2015, 09:01 PM)Piggy Wrote:

'clones and 40mm drop, TD04 and welded wastegate, 11mm pump.

Thanks

How many nicks is that? And are HIDs easy to fit on my 306?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your current 'fleet'? Matt-Rallye 72 10,037 04-05-2016, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Current Scrap Prices? Toms306 33 5,982 19-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  enigne swap or tune current 7057sam 15 4,651 14-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Tom