Removing unwanted water from a car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Removing unwanted water from a car
So myself and Matt came across a dilemma and thought it would be appropriate to create a guide.

If you ever find yourself with water in your vehicle and wish to restore it to it's former glory, then this is for you!

Firstly, identify where in the car the water is and possibly where it's coming from and if you're able to, sort that out first

[Image: riIJvDX.jpg]

Then, find a suitable container for which you can empty the water from your car.

[Image: cWsmYAP.jpg]

[Image: rNxRRvl.jpg]

Next, it's time to tackle the carpets. Grab an old absorbent towel, and tread it into the carpet, ensuring you regularly turn the towel, absorbing as much water as possible.

[Image: sHODoou.jpg]

Moving on, grab some rice, about a 1kg will cover one footwell, and spread it out evenly, patting it into the carpet thoroughly.

[Image: QHpzi41.jpg]

Leave this for a few days ensuring no more water can enter the vehicle, then grabbing your hoover, SUCK IT UP!

If the carpets are still damp, repeat the rice step. Most of the time, warm climates should help evaporate the left over water.

When and if the carpets are smelly at all, most upholstery cleaners will sort that, so don't go scrapping things

C&C welcome
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Great guide lmao
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
best approach is to strip the carpet out totally, as the sound deadening will hold the moisture for months/years.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I leave a chemical dehumidifier in mine when its parked Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I genuinely thought this was going to be a pure trolling of Dum-Dum... lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Shoot holes in the floor. That'll fix it.
Thanks given by:
Life carpet, pull out plugs.

Dry carpet and sound deadening in the sun once pressure washed! Done.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hoover the rice!? Brush and dustpan would've saved your poor hoover from damp bacteria ridden rice festering in it... lol
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2015, 11:30 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Hoover the rice!?  Brush and dustpan would've saved your poor hoover from damp bacteria ridden rice festering in it... lol

Of if you're picky with bacteria, remove the filter when hoovering, empty it, then re-attach the filter.
Putting hands near "festering damp bacteria ridden rice" surely is worse than using a hoover?
Thanks given by:
I use gloves anyway, and hands can be washed a lot (trust me, I know that Dodgy ) unlike the hoover filters. You're now blowing bacteria around the house every time you switch the hoover on. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Tom, you're full of billions of microbes. Without bacteria you wouldn't exist.
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2015, 11:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I use gloves anyway, and hands can be washed a lot (trust me, I know that Dodgy ) unlike the hoover filters.  You're now blowing bacteria around the house every time you switch the hoover on. Tongue

(29-08-2015, 11:45 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(29-08-2015, 11:30 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Hoover the rice!?  Brush and dustpan would've saved your poor hoover from damp bacteria ridden rice festering in it... lol

Of if you're picky with bacteria, remove the filter when hoovering, empty it, then re-attach the filter.
Putting hands near "festering damp bacteria ridden rice" surely is worse than using a hoover?
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2015, 11:54 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Tom, you're full of billions of microbes. Without bacteria you wouldn't exist.

I know but there are some you want to avoid...like the ones found in dog shit and rat piss which is probably in the carpet in invisible amounts... Tongue Not to mention the mould spores that a re probably in a car that's been sat a while...

Ginge, you never said you removed the filter first time, I thought you wrote that in hindsight. lol
Thanks given by:
(29-08-2015, 12:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(29-08-2015, 11:54 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Tom, you're full of billions of microbes. Without bacteria you wouldn't exist.

I know but there are some you want to avoid...like the ones found in dog shit and rat piss which is probably in the carpet in invisible amounts... Tongue Not to mention the mould spores that a re probably in a car that's been sat a while...

Ginge, you never said you removed the filter first time, I thought you wrote that in hindsight. lol

Well the post isn't edited...
Thanks given by:
unfortunately you do need to lift the carpets to do it properly. When my matrix went... both times there was water under the sound deadening which is very hard to get rid of!
Thanks given by:
It will be coming out, once the mot is done. Haven't got the time/space on the drive to be doing it at the moment. My drive is too tiny
Thanks given by:
if the waters to deep the side impact sensors mounted on the sills will be flooded Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
It was only about 1/4 inch deep. Not even that
Thanks given by:
Strip the car Tongue Fixes all the problems in one go Tongue Can pressure wash it out then Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
you can use a vax carpet cleaner with the hose attachment too, It will help pull the water from the deadening, but you will need some sort of de-humidifier or leave the windows slightly open on warm days Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
where did the water come from please......bulk head, screen, air vents, heater matrix......??
Thanks given by:
Most 306 owners will know about this but if you have water building in the drivers side scuttle panel / upper bulkhead under your wiper motor then get a chopstick or similar and have a probe about in the middle of the waterlogged area and you will eventually find and poke clear the drainage hole which will let you scoop out all the leaves that caused the blockage in the first place!
Just don't wear white trainers when you do it! ;-)
asda also sell little dehumidifier damp trap tubs in their pound section and not bad results if you chuck half a dozen in the footwell, cheaper still leave a bucket of salt in the footwell until it goes damp then take it inside, dry it out and repeat!
Thanks given by: