How many cans to paint a car?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many cans to paint a car?
Wanting to rattle can my new project, 3 door ph1 dturbo S

Wondering how many 600ml cans to paint it all? Will be using montana black matte paint (grey)

Also want to do the roof black and also the bump strips and plastic bumper bits but I'll do those in stone chip paint or satin I think

Thanks
Thanks given by:
A lot. Spray cans are SUCH a expensive and wasteful way to do it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
If youre ruining it anyway, why not just roller it?
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2015, 08:43 PM)Niall Wrote: A lot. Spray cans are SUCH a expensive and wasteful way to do it.

I can get the cans for £4.95 for 600ml, was told by someone 10 cans should do it but asking here for more advice Smile

Considered using a roller too, does this tend to be cheaper?

(23-08-2015, 08:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: If youre ruining it anyway, why not just roller it?

Tbh I am ruining it, it's a sigma but the paint is fcuked and someone has tried fixing it with a rattle can and over sprayed everything
Thanks given by:
Roller will be quicker, cheaper and less messy imo.
Thanks given by:
Message justin on here. He used that spray for his. His called Jekyll and hyde or something similar.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
that montana grafiti paint goes a long way, one can a panel is enough I believe and you'll have some left over.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Sorry bud but that's just sad :-(((((((
Under 300 dturbo S left on the road,
and unless you spend days on prep you'll regret it every time you walk up to it
Thanks given by:
Poundland gloss black lol
Thanks given by:
About 10 cans of montana gold will do it well so I've been told.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2015, 09:24 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Sorry bud but that's just sad :-(((((((

The paintwork is pretty rough now, I have enough time to prep it and though there's not many DT S left I doubt they'll become such a future classic as other models :/
Thanks given by:
10 cans should do it. I used 5 for one coat all over. You'll need a couple of coats at least
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
You sure it's an S? Thought they were all Kingfisher with a bright green interior in ph1?
Thanks given by:
Nah Tom,most of them were sigma!
Thanks given by:
Yeah the kingfishers are the rare ones. Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
+1 Montana graffiti paint.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2015, 08:41 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Yeah the kingfishers are the rare ones. Smile

I thought the point of being an 'S' (special) model was the rarity factor lol. I know the ph2s came in various colours and even with half leathers but only ever noticed ph1 'S's in kingfisher lol, I obviously don't take enough notice of ph1s. lol
Thanks given by:

8 cans did my estate. Make sure to key around the windows properly. Ohhh and as people have said this blatently ruins your car [WINKING FACE] not
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2015, 12:06 AM)rtha6551 Wrote:
(23-08-2015, 09:24 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Sorry bud but that's just sad :-(((((((

The paintwork is pretty rough now, I have enough time to prep it and though there's not many DT S left I doubt they'll become such a future classic as other models :/
Hey dude sorry for being down on the idea, I had 2 sigma D turbo S's and kinda grew to like the oddball interior and the rarity of it compared to some other ones about Glasgow.
If your going to rattle can it then I'm pretty sure you have good reason to ( rough paint as you said! ) and no their not going to be any future classic but when they're all gone I'm still going to want one anyway so my own fault for not having one put by already!
I honestly hope it goes well cos there are next to fk all non Sigma or Kingfisher dturbo S's and if you do put in the prep time and as the DR prescribes clean, clean again and key then clean again with paint prep wipes all the window and edge areas including the hip line and round all your lights and doors where there's defo hidden grease waiting to fk up your day you'll be good! I do know a little bit about prep and painting projects etc so not just taking the piss, just worried it goes Peter tong and either you'll hate it and scrap it or end up with more work than you would want trying to redo a panel or 3!

(24-08-2015, 08:00 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote: 8 cans did my estate. Make sure to key around the windows properly. Ohhh and as people have said this blatently ruins your car [WINKING FACE] not

Well that's a matter of opinion! Obviously your 8 cans or rattle aces any moonstone or Diablo or sigma or kingfisher factory finish from Peugeot, obviously, btw you lost your bonnet!
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2015, 08:41 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Yeah the kingfishers are the rare ones. Smile

(24-08-2015, 10:54 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [quote='bashbarnard' pid='553080' dateline='1440405697']
Yeah the kingfishers are the rare ones. Smile

Inlove with my wee tu but wish she had an XUD from the factory like the one getting painted but sigma blue!
Can't you rattle can Sigma or is Montana a defo?

(24-08-2015, 08:00 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote: 8 cans did my estate. Make sure to key around the windows properly. Ohhh and as people have said this blatently ruins your car [WINKING FACE] not

I do genuinely like your car btw it looks like a nice job and nicely fettled too obvs! Blush
Worthy!!!!
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2015, 12:32 AM)Redordead89 Wrote: 8 cans did my estate. Make sure to key around the windows properly. Ohhh and as people have said this blatently ruins your car [WINKING FACE] not

I do genuinely like your car btw it looks like a nice job and nicely fettled too obvs! Blush
Worthy!!!!
[/quote]

Haha cheers. Was just built on a budget. Its worth adding it did only take 8 cans but the base paint was diablo. I dont know if it took so little because the colour sprayed ontop is such a close match. You will also find it stone chips like a bitch but if you can liturally blow in half a panel, step back and not notice.

Had a funny instance with an old lady who clipped my bumper on my car at asda. She actually waited till i came back to the car and wanted to pay for the damage as she had traded paint pulling in on my rear bumper. Just laughed and blew it back in with a can there and then and she actually looked extremley shocked and worried at me [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Oh and i did find my bonnet. My engine hamsters decided to hide it up [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] [Image: b98ef29388f38adb2ab803486fec31ee.jpg]
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
just a thought, why not beg/borrow/steal a budget HVLP sprayer and get your local paint shop/motor factor to mix up a litre or 2 of matched colour? budget for primer, thinners, various grades wet & dry. should come in around 100-200 my guess.
btw, it's all in the prep. flatting, priming etc. dust & grease are your enemy.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
getting a painter to do it will cost about a grand.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I did my bonnet for about £150,
included s/h bonnet, primer, colour coat & laquer coat. (already had a sprayer & wet n dry).
Quoted silly money by local body/paint shop. (£300 for panel & £300+ for paint)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2015, 10:17 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: I did my bonnet for about £150,
included s/h bonnet, primer, colour coat & laquer coat. (already had a sprayer & wet n dry).
Quoted silly money by local body/paint shop. (£300 for panel & £300+ for paint)

How much was the second-hand bonnet? That's a lot for paint?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheel refurb - how many cans? ginge191 9 2,101 19-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Grant