Brake fluid info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake fluid info
Just wondering a few things, i'll be changing my calipers over this weekend and wondering about fluids. (also to add to the OC database.

1 - how much fluid is in the brake system (average)
2 - roughly how much am i going to loose when changing the calipers (hoses will stay on)
3 - what fluid should i use to top up, standard DOT4 or high performance 5.1?
4 - is there any major difference in fluid?
5 - can the fluids be mixed; if DOT4 is already in the system, can i top up with 5.1, or would the entire system need emptied adn refilling
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:Just wondering a few things, i'll be changing my calipers over this weekend and wondering about fluids. (also to add to the OC database.

2 - roughly how much am i going to loose when changing the calipers (hoses will stay on)
5 - can the fluids be mixed; if DOT4 is already in the system, can i top up with 5.1, or would the entire system need emptied adn refilling

1- around 1 litre
2- id be draining as much as i can
3- personal choice, dot4 is fine for road use
4- yes, higher boiling points etc
5- No they cannot be mixed!
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:Just wondering a few things, i'll be changing my calipers over this weekend and wondering about fluids. (also to add to the OC database.

1. not sure
2. not much if you put the flexies hanging up and a cap on the end - it will stain tarmac etc if in contact
3. i used DOT4
4. not sure
5. never mix as they have different boiling points
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Also Ginge i'd look at getting braided hoses, about £30 odd. My rear flexi's were not in good shape
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Anton Wrote:Also Ginge i'd look at getting braided hoses, about £30 odd. My rear flexi's were not in good shape

I've just had brand new ones put on for it to pass it's MOT - i've got braided on the rear - theres no point in me putting on braided on front when they're brand new standards. If i get some spare cash i'll look at replacing them.

saying that, the garage changed the hoses, and it seems i have braking on one side of the car.. not the other; harsh braking and i turn to the right Doh

soon find out anywho

cheers for the info peeps!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Invest in an easi bleed system makes bleeding brakes easy as pie! I changed the front breaks on the front of the car including 2 complete new brake lines used a 1litre of 5.1 to flush the system complete bled the whole system in less than 10 mins and that was doing it twice.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
All normal fluids - DOT4, DOT4+, DOT5.1 can be mixed.

DOT5 can't. It's silicone based.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
note; some dot4 stuff is silicone based-----------------i fitted a caliper on a celica in work and was sent a litre of dot4 in a yellow container (not comma) and that was silicone.

same day one the lads i work with brought his wifes focus in that has popped a front flexi when she tried to do an emergency stop at a crossroads !!!! fitted a hose and changed all the fluid through all 4 corners.
Thanks given by:
DOT4 by definition is glycol based....you can tell immediately if it's silicone anyway (dot 5)
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best brake fluid and pads? JTaylor2005 19 4,639 19-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Pgtips
  ATE v Pagid dot 4 brake fluid 306rhys 1 1,564 28-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Last Post: PartyJas
  Brake fluid circulation hennus 5 1,474 12-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Niall