306 cabriolet 2000

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 cabriolet 2000
Will a gti6 engine fit into a 2000 306 cabriolet with a 2.0 engine bay? Alas my poor cabriolet timing belt snapped hence I need a new cylinder head but I found a gti6 engine and gearbox with loads of history and love for £250 which I would buy if it would be a direct swap for the existing engine many thanks for guru advice

Subsequently if anyone has a cylinder head for the 2.0 litre 306 gimme a shout as I'm in the market for one [emoji4]
Thanks given by:
A search may return what you are after as this question may have been answered a fair few times, in a nut shell Yes

If you have a 306, any 306 engine will fit in the bay...petrol to petrol engine conversion will work easily with minor changes

Petrol to diesel conversion is a bit trickier. Looms being the issue.

If you wanna swap 2.0 8v with 2.0 16v i think you need ECU for said engine, i may be wrong but def. search mate Wink

Hope this helps:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...6+in+cabby

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...6+in+cabby
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Yikes won't be doing that then[emoji87]thanks for the help still in search of a cylinder head so if anyone has one pls get in touch I'm looking at an engine ATM but it's a 2 hour drive away and I only really want the head[emoji23]
Thanks given by:
if it is identical to mine (mine being the same description - 2.0l 2000 cabby)

it is already a twin cam 16v engine, you may find it is a direct replacement. can you not just get the head sorted?
i presume it will be bent valves, and new guides, but should not be too bad, well it cant be as bad as what my wife did, she snapped the exhaust cam shaft, i replaced the bent valves, re-seated them all, cleaned the bearings, and she flew through an mot and is still going 6 years on Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
out of curiosity, will the GTi6 box fit on the 2000 2.0l engine with no mods required? it is like the engine needs that 6th gear,
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(11-08-2015, 08:39 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: out of curiosity, will the GTi6 box fit on the 2000 2.0l engine with no mods required? it is like the engine needs that 6th gear,

The 6 gearbox can be fit directly to XU10J4R 2.0 16V but you need the reversing mechanism cable, collar for lift up while reverse and a little bit machining the inner Passenger driveshaft due to a little bit difference or if you got the driveshaft of GTI 6 no need to machining. (You can temporary unuse the cable but please beware and carefully while shifting to 5th from 4th)

Turning radius to the right will increase after 6 box fit, and I'm not sure the 6 box will match to 2.0 16V or not due to the 6th ratio is almost same to some RFV 5th ratio at 0.795 : 1 and the final drive for 6 box is 4.053 or 3.9 depend on model year.

I already done with my 406 2.0 16V RFV, The result is better than original box during 120-190 km/h (75 - 120 mph) was quicker.

Itwasntme
1999 306 GTI-6 PT81 & Remapping
2000 406 SRI 2.0 Turbo 6M/T @ 1 Bar Boosted

[Image: 150521115952.jpg]

Thanks given by:
There is also an 8v 2.0 engine that was fitted to these.

The gti6 box uses 6 gears to provide closer ratios for better acceleration, rather than a long top gear for cruising. It also ideally wants the steering rack swapped to account for the longer gearbox and avoid fouling on full lock, which makes it a bit of a pain in the arse to park. Not worth it imo.

OP, you might want to take your mobile number out of the post on the publically-viewable forum. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ahh, see i would have thought it would have ment 6th would have been slightly larger, meaning a better cruise speed. but if the gains are not that much (not doing this for performance upgrade, just cruisability) then i will put it on the list, just at the bottom of things todo.

thanks for the info guys, much help as always Smile

kindest regards

tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Yeah after looking at it I'll just get the head repaired or replaced after all I still love the car loads
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 10:51 AM)mattzCabrio Wrote: Yeah after looking at it I'll just get the head repaired or replaced after all I still love the car loads

why not just swap the engine and have easy power?
Thanks given by:
Swapping the engine when a quick head swap is easier and cheaper and I'm in no hurry for an extra 25 bhp the gearbox would be too much drama and its the best bit
Thanks given by: