Lowering help/Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowering help/Advice
OK I'm learning things I go along, but with suspention I'm clueless, its would be a garage job as I don't have time/room/knowledge to do it, can anyone explain what I would need to lower my car by a subtle amount and how much that may be, maybe some links to what would i need?! Also is it a long job for a garage?
Thanks given by:
A Chuffing big slide hammer to free up the torsion bars which undoubtedly will be seized.....

Other than that, have a read here...

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80349
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2015, 12:58 PM)Ben_w Wrote: A Chuffing big slide hammer to free up the torsion bars which undoubtedly will be seized.....

Other than that, have a read here...

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=80349

I've had a read through that, but I don't posses the skills or tools for the job, what new part would I buy if I was to take it to the garage, just a set of lowering springs?
Thanks given by:
No springs on beam, that's all done by the torsion bars. You need to pull these clear of the splined on the beam and arms, set the trailing arm to the proposed ride height and refit the torsion bars, by turning a spline at a time till they slide in.

But, to do the above, the beam needs to be pulled to bits. You may as well rebuild the bloody thing whilst you're there. Whatever you do, don't lower it without changing the seals at least, they cost bugger all and will prevent your beam from being scrap in 6 months time.

If you're lucky, the bars will come out with a little force from a slide hammer. Worst case they'll need pressing out.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
(04-08-2015, 08:27 PM)Alan_M Wrote: No springs on beam, that's all done by the torsion bars. You need to pull these clear of the splined on the beam and arms, set the trailing arm to the proposed ride height and refit the torsion bars, by turning a spline at a time till they slide in.

But, to do the above, the beam needs to be pulled to bits. You may as well rebuild the bloody thing whilst you're there. Whatever you do, don't lower it without changing the seals at least, they cost bugger all and will prevent your beam from being scrap in 6 months time.

If you're lucky, the bars will come out with a little force from a slide hammer. Worst case they'll need pressing out.

These are all things I'd get the garage to do though
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 09:30 AM)Calpin Wrote:
(04-08-2015, 08:27 PM)Alan_M Wrote: No springs on beam, that's all done by the torsion bars. You need to pull these clear of the splined on the beam and arms, set the trailing arm to the proposed ride height and refit the torsion bars, by turning a spline at a time till they slide in.

What you need is a set of lowering springs whch will comprise of a pair of front springs. If budget will stretch to it, buy a full suspension kit which will come with 2 front springs and dampers for all 4 corners. Chances are the dampers on your car will be way past their best so worth changing.
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 10:10 AM)PartyJas Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 09:30 AM)Calpin Wrote:

What you need is a set of lowering springs whch will comprise of a pair of front springs. If budget will stretch to it, buy a full suspension kit which will come with 2 front springs and dampers for all 4 corners. Chances are the dampers on your car will be way past their best so worth changing.

Thanks that will be my next thing for winter I think, how much are we talking about, and without sounding thick will that lower the rear too? There are a few springs going on Spanish second hand sites for around 50€
Thanks given by:
No, you can't buy a product that will just lower the rear, to put simply, the rear ride height is set by the configuration of the rear beam suspension, and that has to be partially dismantled (often very seized together) and put back together set at a different height.

Lowering springs will lower the front though.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2015, 05:40 PM)RetroPug Wrote: No, you can't buy a product that will just lower the rear, to put simply, the rear ride height is set by the configuration of the rear beam suspension, and that has to be partially dismantled (often very seized together) and put back together set at a different height.

Lowering springs will lower the front though.

And that would be very time consuming for a profetional? And most likly end up in needing new parts?
Thanks given by:
I work for a company that does this job regularly and we charge £120 to lower the rear of a 306. This can increase if the bearings need replacing. You will be better off talking to a garage that has done it before and getting them to quote you a price.
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2015, 08:42 AM)PartyJas Wrote: I work for a company that does this job regularly and we charge £120 to lower the rear of a 306. This can increase if the bearings need replacing. You will be better off talking to a garage that has done it before and getting them to quote you a price.

I have a regular garage that I use here, so I will have a word with them, there are a few garages here but not to many.
Thanks given by:
There is a lowering guide on here that you could show them.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(06-08-2015, 08:43 PM)RetroPug Wrote: There is a lowering guide on here that you could show them.

They cannot speak or read any English hahaha
Thanks given by: