Gumtree for selling cars ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gumtree for selling cars ?
Anybody used gumtree for selling a car ?
If so any tips/pitfalls/advice please ?
Thanks given by:
pita in my recent experience

but worth a shout for free eh?
Thanks given by:
disable the 'chat' option or you'll have countless time wasters offering you a 1/4 of the advertised price
Thanks given by:
ive personally never really had a problem selling through gumtree. What car are you trying to sell. look on facebook there may be a specific selling group near you for that car.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Take all replies with a pinch of salt.

Expect replies in broken English.

Expect "Wots your best price 2nite cash m8?"

Expect loads of "Is the car still available?" to which when you reply you hear nothing ever again.

Don't put your telephone number on there.

Don't enable the 'Map' location thing, it shows a pin-point of where your house is.

You'll get scam emails.

It's free to advertise 1 vehicle on there, so it's worth a shot but don't expect much from it.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2016, 08:18 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: ive personally never really had a problem selling through gumtree. What car are you trying to sell. look on facebook there may be a specific selling group near you for that car.

Its my 1997 306 Bash - is there an FB page for 306's ?

Thanks for the replies so far guys : )
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2016, 08:22 AM)maxaret Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 08:18 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: ive personally never really had a problem selling through gumtree. What car are you trying to sell. look on facebook there may be a specific selling group near you for that car.

Its my 1997 306 Bash - is there an FB page for 306's ?

Thanks for the replies so far guys : )

theres the 306oc page but we dont allow selling on there. theywhoshallnotbenamed and loads of other ones just search 306.
Thanks given by:
Gumtree is full of idiots! I should know, I've bought a few cars through there. Wink But seriously, it's only redeeming feature is the fact it's free, I've only ever had one genuine car sale myself through there. It seems to be better for selling parts and wheels though. Just to pick up on the map thing, I find the map helps people (myself included), but don't put your exact post code, make it a few streets away. Smile

I'm having the same selling issue atm, tried gumtree, forums and facebook and got the odd bit of interest but no-one followed through, Put it up on ebay auction and got 2 bids which both turned out to be useless... So I still have the damn thing... Dodgy
Thanks given by:
sold most of my cars on gumtree for free if you are prepaired to filter the spam go for it
Facebook selling is where to go now though Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(12-10-2016, 08:50 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Gumtree is full of idiots!  I should know, I've bought a few cars through there. Wink  But seriously, it's only redeeming feature is the fact it's free, I've only ever had one genuine car sale myself through there.  It seems to be better for selling parts and wheels though.  Just to pick up on the map thing, I find the map helps people (myself included), but don't put your exact post code, make it a few streets away. Smile

I'm having the same selling issue atm, tried gumtree, forums and facebook and got the odd bit of interest but no-one followed through,  Put it up on ebay auction and got 2 bids which both turned out to be useless...  So I still have the damn thing... Dodgy

As i've always said, Autotrader. Expensive, yes, but don't get as many timewasters. 
In my experience anyway
Thanks given by:
Trouble is - its an old car so Autotrader and Ebay seem expensive options LOL.
Just changed the air and fuel filters on the 306 and its going really nicely Smile - would prefer to sell to an enthusiast but realise we are too far north for most forum members anyway !

(12-10-2016, 09:12 AM)cully Wrote: sold most of my cars on gumtree for free if you are prepaired to filter the spam go for it

How does FB selling work Cully ?
I am on FB but only use it for keeping in touch with people LOL
Thanks given by:
Don't think its any more expensive than ebay is it? £30 when an auction ends! You have to put a phone number on AT though which is why I don't do it.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2016, 10:43 AM)maxaret Wrote: Trouble is - its an old car so Autotrader and Ebay seem expensive options LOL.
Just changed the air and fuel filters on the 306 and its going really nicely Smile - would prefer to sell to an enthusiast but realise we are too far north for most forum members anyway !

(12-10-2016, 09:12 AM)cully Wrote: sold most of my cars on gumtree for free if you are prepaired to filter the spam go for it

How does FB selling work Cully ?
I am on FB but only use it for keeping in touch with people LOL

just join a group, click new post or new item for sale. add in the details and youre done. Everything is done outside of facebook though so its essentially a private sale.

(12-10-2016, 10:44 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't think its any more expensive than ebay is it? £30 when an auction ends! You have to put a phone number on AT though which is why I don't do it.

I dont think your phone number on auto trader is much of an issue. its hard enough to find the pages yourself so i woudlnt expect any bs from there. When selling a car id expect to put my phone number on it unless it was ebay.
Thanks given by:
(12-10-2016, 10:44 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't think its any more expensive than ebay is it?  £30 when an auction ends!  You have to put a phone number on AT though which is why I don't do it.

Put your email address down (they have an 'email seller' option) and state in the advert you work unsociable hours or something and can't answer your phone most of the time.
Thanks given by:
I'm sure the phone number was mandatory last time I checked though? People don't take any notice of asking not to phone...

I had a message left on my phone once, saying 'I know it said you don't want phone calls but...' FFS! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Gumtree always beaten ebay for me. And its free.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
When I sold the HDI estate most of the interest that I got for it was from eBay.
Thanks given by:
Just checked autotrader prices... £10 for 2 weeks seems reasonable... Then I notice that's only sub 1500 pound cars...£1500+ cars are £40 for 2 weeks!! Sod that! Confused
Thanks given by:
Gumtree, Facebook and Swapz are all free so you might as well start there as it's not going to cost you anything.

Just filter out the obvious spivs who can't spell and see if any genuine buyers come forward.
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2016, 09:08 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Just checked autotrader prices...  £10 for 2 weeks seems reasonable...  Then I notice that's only sub 1500 pound cars...£1500+ cars are £40 for 2 weeks!!  Sod that! Confused

Thanks Tom - I will check that out - seems reasonable,maybe they have dropped their prices to compete with other sites.
cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
It's nicknamed Scumtree for a reason.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 owner ph1 1.9d on gumtree Iceman299 12 1,775 04-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Last Post: londondan86
  Dreamer on gumtree with a HDI mspdan 25 4,762 24-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: lewisdmz
  Like a French Gumtree... C.A.R. 8 1,906 17-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Alex