Oil Cooler

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Cooler
So looking to purchase my oil cooler ASAP but not sure if I should go for 13 row or 16. I'm getting it with a thermostatic plate so I don't have to worry about it not getting up to temperature. What would you guys recommend?
Thanks given by:
is it the same as 306 ones? If so im also after one so please recommend people!

Thermostatic plate is the best i believe as it allows the engine to warm up in the first place.
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2015, 02:31 PM)Eeyore Wrote: is it the same as 306 ones? If so im also after one so please recommend people!

Thermostatic plate is the best i believe as it allows the engine to warm up in the first place.

Yeah allows it to the right temp then opens up to cool it down Smile
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2015, 02:34 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(28-07-2015, 02:31 PM)Eeyore Wrote: is it the same as 306 ones? If so im also after one so please recommend people!

Yeah allows it to the right temp then opens up to cool it down Smile

Seems like a no-brainer!
Thanks given by:
Thermostatic will open at 80, this seems too cold to me, would prefer it a little higher but no one makes one. As for recommendations i dont have any im afraid.

Pointless post.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why? You'll have the stat open in no time driving normally, running it cooler keeps the oil from optimum temperature.

Even my golf runs at 95 oil temp unless regenning the dpf. Rallye has a 19 row and sits at the stat temp..
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Also looking into oil coolers so will be keeping an eye Tongue
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2015, 06:28 PM)C2K Wrote: Why? You'll have the stat open in no time driving normally, running it cooler keeps the oil from optimum temperature.

Even my golf runs at 95 oil temp unless regenning the dpf. Rallye has a 19 row and sits at the stat temp..

It's for my track 106 so will be getting pretty hot. Want to keep the oil at a good temperature to reduce failure due to oil pressure
Thanks given by:
That was for the post ahead of mine. You don't have a stat yet lol, and I know why you want one. Wink
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2015, 07:30 PM)C2K Wrote: That was for the post ahead of mine.  You don't have a stat yet lol,  and I know why you want one.  Wink

Oh haha no ones answered my question still lol I'm probably just going to get a 13 row it's good for 150bhp
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't bother with a stat I don't run one on my 205 stats are open a little all the time anyway.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(28-07-2015, 09:12 PM)Stef205 Wrote: I wouldn't bother with a stat I don't run one on my 205 stats are open a little all the time anyway.

Oh okay so it should run fine temp wise. What's a good temp for oil? 90 degrees?
Thanks given by:
I have a 16 row and stat atm on the astor

Had a 19 and no stat on the rallye.if don't drive it everday no stat's fine.obviously with no stat you have to wait that little bit longer till its warm as cooler is always on.

106 sub 150 bhp should be fine with a 13 row

(28-07-2015, 09:33 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(28-07-2015, 09:12 PM)Stef205 Wrote: I wouldn't bother with a stat I don't run one on my 205 stats are open a little all the time anyway.

Oh okay so it should run fine temp wise. What's a good temp for oil? 90 degrees?

Mine used to take best part of 20 mins to get to temp (driving mph roads and a little bit of 70's) 

When warm should sit at 89 on road maybe peak at 100 on track.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
well the gf has a small 10 row on her 106 and that heats up fine as does mine. I wouldnt expect it to heat up any quicker than 20mins tbh
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
What oil temp are you hitting at the moment?

On my HDi that had an oil cooler even with a thermostatic plate it never got past 70 which isn't hot enough. If your not struggling with temps then don't bother and spend your money elsewhere.

The stats on the oil coolers are not like the one in your cooling system, even when "closed" they are still letting oil through as otherwise no oil would go through the filter so they do still slow down warm up times.
Thanks given by:
Might just put my oil temp gauge in, give it some abuse and see what temp it comes back with
Thanks given by:
You'll need it on a revvy petrol track car, hdi is a completely different kettle of fish. Have you signed up to any of the track day forums?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-07-2015, 12:34 PM)Poodle Wrote: You'll need it on a revvy petrol track car, hdi is a completely different kettle of fish. Have you signed up to any of the track day forums?

Not yet what forums would you recommend?
Thanks given by:
So I'm thinking out loud here. From my rudimentary knowledge of cars I thought cold oil is a positive. The main negative of cooler oil temperature being that it doesn't flow as well, putting more pressure on the pump and not flowing to important internal components. But isn't the engine and all internal components perpetually oil soaked, so the only negative being oil pump working overtime. Can this problem be negated by using a lighter weight oil?

I can't remember why I think colder oil is better. Thermal efficiency? Less entropy?

I've got a 16 row cooler on an xud9. Seems its probably not needed but I'll have to do some more reading now.
Thanks given by:
you need oil at atleast 80+ to evaperate out the condensation that forms from cold starts

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Seems the same in aircraft engines as well... 86deg constant moves 1 deg at most at 100% or 10%
Thanks given by:
No idea, i'm not on any of them lol. I was chatting to a guy who runs a business prepping track cars and he suggested i sign up to a couple when i showed an interest, reckoned there was a wealth of knowledge there. Just figured it might be more useful than the limited experience here.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: