Voltage regulator

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voltage regulator
Hi!

Owning old peugeot seems to be a nightmare!

To be clear I have 1999 hdi without existing service history.

Right now main problem is fluctuating voltage, battery discharge. 

From the beginning all lights went brighter, dimmer, car was struggling to get forward and battery light went on. Parked, and left for 3 days to get sorted at mechanic. Disconnected battery, but when going to mechanic all was good, they just replaced battery clamp, because they thought that is it, also low beam bulb went out. 

Drove car for 1 week, all good, thought that all is over, and then car almost died on road, barely got to park it. after 3h of parked, it wouldn't start. Towed home, changed battery on voltmeter and went see what is the problem. 

Symptoms (tested with good/excellent battery) 
1) voltage when car is turned off 12.5V (approx.) (on battery)
2) power draw when all is turned off 4.5A (approx) (inline at - terminal)
3) power draw when alternator diconnected 0.01A (inline at - terminal)
4) when started - for 5s it is all ok, then voltage spikes from 14V to 18V, at that moment too afraid to fry everything, turned off.

I disconnected alternator simply by unscreving all wires that go off it.

Through phone with father decided voltage regulator is faulty. it still worked for 1 week (approx. 300miles)
maybe moisture is at fault? both times symptoms happened after driving in heavy rain.

Question nr.1 - Am I right with this diagnostics?
Question nr.2 - How to get 3 more elbows and get alternator/voltage regulator out?
Also to take in consideration I have to work on side of street. Because student without garage or driveway.

if needed, can upload pictures of current situation with alternator and tight positioning of everything (I guess mostly all of you know how hard it is to work in engine bay)

I should need basic service seen 1k miles, so maybe speed up service and change voltage regulator at the same time. because oil filter is directly in front of screws for voltage regulator.
And right now existing battery shows 11.02V when disconnected and 5-6V when connected, so need that new as well.

Update to pictures - red circles bolts I think, that must go off, and blue circle is which wires I disconnected to check for parasitic voltage loss. 
Also Oil filter is right in the way to 2 out of 3 bolts!
Thanks given by:
New voltage regulator time or whole alternator. I would expect a healthy car to draw about 0.3a max when everything is shut down. Not over 4A!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I hope voltage regulator would be fix, due to cost 15€ vs 80€ and up.
Maybe some tips to get alternator off?
Thanks given by:
Im not 100% sure on the HDI as I've never worked on one in depth before but you should be able to remove the AC compressor (not take the pipes off, just swing it to one side) and drop the alternator out from the bottom
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
On my car, there are no AC compressor, but I have steel engine pan(tray), so getting out through bottom would be difficult.
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2015, 07:26 PM)Dreijers Wrote: On my car, there are no AC compressor, but I have steel engine pan(tray), so getting out through bottom would be difficult.

I'm guessing you mean the subframe. The alternator would drop out the bottom between the engine and radiator/front bumper
Thanks given by:
I have an undertray, since previous ovner ripped 2 plastic ones, so he fitted steel one, probably an OEM one. if pictures ar showing, then you can see at the bottom with rectangular-ish holes.

link to picture - https://picasaweb.google.com/11142670144...8139760466
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No voltage at some sensors JVB88 3 1,813 30-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  coilpack voltage grantpipe 5 1,661 16-05-2015, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Niall
  New alternator and battery, still low voltage. jamesgmg 9 2,175 26-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Last Post: Tom