Brake disk temperatures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake disk temperatures?
Hi guys.

Just done a 40 mile drive and when I got home I decided to see what the brake disks were like temp wise.

I touched all 4 with the back of my hands quickly. 
All but the rear left one were hot. The rear left was cold. Which way round would you think would be more likely?

Could it be that the rear right is binding and getting hotter than rear brakes usually get?
Or do you reckon it's that the rear right is working at stopping the car correctly and the rear left one isn't gripping at all?

The car passed it's MOT not long ago so either it was missed in the brake test or it has been an issue that's come up since then.

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

Thinking about it I will get it jacked up later and give each of the wheels a quick spin and see if any of them are gripping but as one is cold and the rest are hot it seems to suggest that either all 3 are binding or just one is not working. The second option sounds more plausible :/
Thanks given by:
If it's cold, I'd says its not working....
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
After a 40 mile drive, presumably with numerous applications of the brake at various points in the journey, I would expect the brake disks to be warm. If one is still cold and the others fairly uniformly warm/hot, I'd suggest that the one that is cold isn't doing much.

Go for a drive and do a few hard stops in a row, and re-do your check (carefully, as they'll be hot!) - if it's still noticeably colder than the others then that corner needs investigation. You'll probably find that the car will pull to one side with one brake giving low effort relative to the others, although it's much less pronounced with the rears compared to the fronts.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Yeah well that's the thing really I haven't noticed it pulling to the side at all really but something gotta be up with it. I will give it a go in a bit.

What could be causing that calliper to not be working do you reckon? Just jammed or something. Dont think there is a brake leak at all anywhere tbf
Thanks given by:
Sorry all but the rear right were hot. Just been out and done 3 agressive brakes and found that after that the two left and front right were red hot and the rear right was just a bit warn so seems like that one ain't working. Didn't seem to pull though. However it's pretty obvious looking at the disk that the rear right ain't been working well as it has all rust patches on it :/ gonna give it a good looking at on the weekend and possibly have the pads and disks replaces as that was one of the minors I had on my MOT certificate.
Thanks given by:
Probably just sticky sliders, pull it apart and see what's what. If the piston doesn't wind back easily it'll probably need replacing. Assuming the piston and sliders are fine, just clean everything thoroughly, including the carrier where the pads sit and slide, and regrease it all properly.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sounds easy enough Smile well they are all getting cleaned up and painted this Saturday so I will stick my new pads in as well and give them all a clean and grease up Smile

Cheers guys should be an easy enough fix by the sound of it.
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2015, 06:33 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Sounds easy enough Smile well they are all getting cleaned up and painted this Saturday so I will stick my new pads in as well and give them all a clean and grease up Smile

Cheers guys should be an easy enough fix by the sound of it.

If the discs are rusty and were an MOT advisory, change them as well. No point doing half a job
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yeah I think that will be for the best tbf. Will have a look in the Haynes manual but doubt I will be able to do disks with the tools I have at the moment so I will get it booked in at a place that my mate works out to get them done Smile

Cheers.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Disk Wheel Bearing daveylennon93 21 6,842 06-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Last Post: dt_
  rear disk slider bolts tigerstyle 7 1,156 16-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Disk beam with drum arms? daveylennon93 1 1,018 20-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard