Turbo pipe???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo pipe???
What does this sound like to you if i describe this?....

When driving and i come off the accelerator i can hear a sucking noise which sounds like turbo, i put my foot back down and i hear the turbo spool as normal...but every time it spools and i take off throttle, the sucking noise come back Confused

What do you guys think? Im leaning toward turbo pipe...bearing in mind that i haven't looked yet lol

cheers
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
How long does the noise go on for?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
blocked exhaust, or a hole in the cat?? i have had that before. if it was a turbo pipe you would of lost power.
Thanks given by:
my hdi used to do the same, i never found a cause. since i have fitted the FMIC it not made the noise since. i would check the plastic inlet pipe .
Thanks given by:
that was changed by a mechanic about a year back...maybe il check this first Wink

i fitted the exhaust, cat-back, and refitted it the other day, passed the MOT
i don't think that it's blocked as, when i boot it, there is a nice smoke screen caused by the dodgy maf i have fitted Big Grin it seems to be when i come off the accelerator and it lasts until i put my foot back on...

When clutch is dipped it goes...if that helps any?
Thanks given by:
dose it do it in all gears??
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann race centre pipe
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
yeah it does, I'm gonna go out in it soon and see what other info i can collate for y'all Wink its a funny one, car seems fine...apart from:
the bad geometry from the rear mounts
smokey rear end
nackered beam
shot engine mounts
blah blah blah

Wink
Thanks given by:
How about at a standstill? Could be the release bearing.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No noise at standstill Sad or i couldn't hear it...

i was in 2nd gear and i was doing around 25mph/ish...the revs were high, the turbo spooling...when i take my foot off the throttle it sounds like its a sucking noise

The f*cking EML light came on last night too now lol i really need a pp2000
Thanks given by:
Tbh sounds a lot like a boost leak, especially with the eml and if you're smoking a lot, but that wouldn't explain why it goes when the clutch is depressed.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I could just be me...the revs are already on the way down when i dip clutch, so that would lower the EGs and the turbo would slow down reducing (what little) pressure i might have in the system, leading to the reduction of the noise....? Does this make sense?

Il have to get back under the car when the weather is better and take a butchers.

Im also thinking of a possible hole in the cat suggest by craig earlier...that could also be feasible...

I didn't know the eml light could come on if there was a boost leak?
Thanks given by:
You have a leak after the maf possibly?
Thanks given by:
(26-07-2015, 11:40 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: I could just be me...the revs are already on the way down when i dip clutch, so that would lower the EGs and the turbo would slow down reducing (what little) pressure i might have in the system, leading to the reduction of the noise....? Does this make sense?

Il have to get back under the car when the weather is better and take a butchers.

Im also thinking of a possible hole in the cat suggest by craig earlier...that could also be feasible...

I didn't know the eml light could come on if there was a boost leak?

thats what i had, i hole in the exhaust right before the cat. so take a look when the rain stops  Rofl
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
This car is starting to piss me off now, with all the things i need to do on it, its looking cheaper to scrap it off Sad i don't want to but its looming on the horizon.

Everything that has rubber needs replacing, beam needs replacing, wishbone bushes are fooked, turbo is singing for too long, MAF screwed... i could go on lol Big Grin

15 year old car... needs some TLC but money permits Sad
Thanks given by:
you could always buy another 15 year old car that needs beam, wishbone bushes, turbo, MAF...

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Hoard the parts you need then come over to mine and we will get it all done at once, dont worry bout money we will sort something
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2015, 06:07 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: This car is starting to piss me off now, with all the things i need to do on it, its looking cheaper to scrap it off Sad i don't want to but its looming on the horizon.

Everything that has rubber needs replacing, beam needs replacing, wishbone bushes are fooked, turbo is singing for too long, MAF screwed... i could go on lol Big Grin

15 year old car... needs some TLC but money permits Sad

well, if you scrap the car you will need to buy a diff one, so it might be worth pricing up what is needed to be done, as might be cheaper to repair what you got,  than buying a new car. and on the plus side, when its all done you got a good car.

when i  got my 306 on a v reg, was told its been well looked after, but ive have to do the clutch the first week i had it, then cambelt water pump, rear shocks full exhaust, service, and i still got front shocks to do plus front wish bones,
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
I'm still running original clutch, so that needs doing, rear beam, all ALL the mounts and bushes, eml, shocks...the list goes on lol I love this car but I just can't afford the parts...baby is due September Confused
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2015, 12:02 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: I'm still running original clutch, so that needs doing, rear beam, all ALL the mounts and bushes, eml, shocks...the list goes on lol I love this car but I just can't afford the parts...baby is due September Confused

put a list together and price it up,  how much you got to spend on a new car???
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
This is why it's better to stay on top of the "little" jobs. lol

The way i see it you've got two options:
A - Commit to this one and fix her up piece by piece as necessary
B - Resign yourself to driving sheds with a long mot until you can afford option A

From experience option B usually ends up costing just as much/more than A anyway.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(27-07-2015, 12:36 PM)Poodle Wrote: This is why it's better to stay on top of the "little" jobs. [emoji38]

The way i see it you've got two options:
A - Commit to this one and fix her up piece by piece as necessary
B - Resign yourself to driving sheds with a long mot until you can afford option A

From experience option B usually ends up costing just as much/more than A anyway.
Exactly that Sad I would have to sell one to by t'other...its all just pants lol
Thanks given by:
Write up a list and send it to me ill get my mate to get a price staff price from gsf its wont be as bad as you think just prioritise
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
Ok cheers dan, I'm working on the list now but some things would need diagnosing not just pp2000-wise but those knocks and rattles... the more i read Craig's comments the more I'm convincing myself there's a hole or break somewhere on the zorst...

Il start the list off and update/edit it as i find stuff Wink

So far, from my own diagnosis:

Wishbone bushes (front ones as i have P bushes ready)
Engine mounts (all)
Rear beam mounts
Rear beam
Standard air box (running k&n atm... grrr)
MAF sensor (second hand one is fitted and there doesn't seem to be a choke on the power so i think its ok atm)
Break bleed nipples (f*cked on all but one rear)
Drive shafts (clunky on lock with one boot split... but passed MOT???)
Strut bearings (very dry sounding when steering)

Things to diagnose:

Noises mentioned in 1st post
EML
Bang/rattle from underneath (possible sway from shitty engine mounts causing zorst movement?)
Creaky noises from inside car at rear (more than likely the beam mounts and/or beam?)

So, not much then lmao cheers for the help lads

WHAT A PROJECT!
Thanks given by:
That does sound like a full on dog tbf, perhaps B is the better option in this case lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Engine pulls fines though Sad, the car corners a bit iffy with the dodgy mounts but i really like the car, have done for 5 years and the 30k I've done in it. I could do most of the work myself but with it being my daily and severe lack of funds i can't get the parts for it. I don't want it going to rack and ruin, I have always said 'il be the last owner of that car'...

I wish i could take it off the road and 'restore' it back to its former glory Sad
Thanks given by:
Can always buy my 306  Wink  Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2015, 03:36 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: Ok cheers dan, I'm working on the list now but some things would need diagnosing not just pp2000-wise but those knocks and rattles... the more i read Craig's comments the more I'm convincing myself there's a hole or break somewhere on the zorst...

Il start the list off and update/edit it as i find stuff Wink

So far, from my own diagnosis:

Wishbone bushes (front ones as i have P bushes ready)
Engine mounts (all)
Rear beam mounts
Rear beam
Standard air box (running k&n atm... grrr)
MAF sensor (second hand one is fitted and there doesn't seem to be a choke on the power so i think its ok atm)
Break bleed nipples (f*cked on all but one rear)
Drive shafts (clunky on lock with one boot split... but passed MOT???)
Strut bearings (very dry sounding when steering)

Things to diagnose:

Noises mentioned in 1st post
EML
Bang/rattle from underneath (possible sway from shitty engine mounts causing zorst movement?)
Creaky noises from inside car at rear (more than likely the beam mounts and/or beam?)

So, not much then  lmao cheers for the help lads

WHAT A PROJECT!

when was the MOT???
306 HDI 
stage 1+ remap
piper cross air filter
hoffmann de-cat pipe
sportex rear tailbox 3"

Thanks given by:
Three weeks back craigWink

How much ice? lol
Thanks given by:
(27-07-2015, 04:42 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: Three weeks back craigWink

How much ice? lol

Not 100% sure yet. Just had it's mot today and needs a new lower ball joint. Could've been worse i suppose lol

i'd scrap/sell it and buy one in better condition if i were in your shoes
Thanks given by:
Sounds like quite a project indeed lol, depends how attached you are to the car/what else is available to you on whether you keep or sell and find something new.

How in three weeks has that long list of parts needing fixed/changed appeared? Surely they would have failed it on the MOT on most of those things if they were bad?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metal intake pipe to turbo pug306driver 0 634 01-06-2021, 08:06 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
Question Bottom turbo pipe (updated with pics) questions added highwayman306 15 3,674 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Last Post: fgrc76
  turbo outlet flange to make custom down pipe pro_steve 5 2,078 25-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Last Post: HDi--Power