LED lights...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED lights...
ok, so basically i have a mental idea/.. those of you on the book of the face will have seem my mentally large light bulb,  i want to turn said mentally large light bulb into a lamp of sorts, and, as its a 3000watt bulb, that means that using the actual bulb would be a little silly (unless you wanted to get sunburned every time it turned on).

Now, my initial thought was to use LEDs,  5mm dome type ones angled toward the bulb itself i think would look awsome..

i have a few questions,  having been to maplin,  and having seen the HUGE array of LEDs they have i was looking at a few specific questions.

obviously higher is better but i was looking at 26000MCD white ones..

this got me thinking however..

colour changing LEDs would look f*cking awsome, 

Whats involved.. ?

is there an off the shelf controller I can buy with an LED Driver that i can wire into say.. 10 or 15 bright RGB LEDs?  bright enough to illuminate a room as a normal 4/5 watt LED lamp would if required. 

i am hoping people will have more experience in this than me (i have none) on here.. so let me know if you can help
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I have a 120W LED fish tank light and that gives you stars in your eyes if you look at it on 100% brightness whites/blues.

I hate to think what anything more then 500w is capable of. Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
500 watts? no i meant a total of 5watts of power on full whack! not 10x 5watt LEDs lol.. jesus Big Grin
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 01:36 PM)toseland Wrote: 500 watts?   no i meant a total of 5watts of power on full whack! not 10x 5watt LEDs lol..  jesus Big Grin

Owww... 500w would be epic.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
i cant believe no-one has any more input into this...
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
im confused by what youre evening trying to do... you saw a massive bulb? and youre making your own with leds... possibly colour changing... and?
Thanks given by:
Leds have moved on a LOT mate. I wouldn't personally use any of the old-school shaped ones, its all about power leds now. It's amazing how much light you can get out of a very small package. If you want colour changing you could also use the RGB strips that run off 12v and come with a remote control.
I've used DX.com a number of times over the years. I tend to buy the stuff with good reviews and have managed to avoid the worst chinese generic crap.
If you want to submerge yourself in more lumens of geekery than you can ever imagine take a look at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php
As for drivers for various leds I've had very good experience with Buckpucks. Yes they are expensive but they are well designed, made, packaged and do exactly what you want them to.
I retrofitted some wall wash lights at mine in 2008 and they are still going strong now Big Grin http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...nd-drivers
Thanks given by: