best way to clean temp sensor contacts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best way to clean temp sensor contacts
So what is the best way to clean the temp sensor contacts in the sensor and the connecting block please??

Also best way to cure a loose contact with these connections please?
Thanks given by:
Small wire brush and contact cleaner is what I'd use.

For a loose contact, if its the blade type (I think it is?) just squeeze the socket together slightly with long nose pliers.
Thanks given by:
The contacts seem to be encapsulated in the loom connector and sunken in the temp sensor itself, so difficult to get at for a manual clean and squeezing, to make a better contact.

The reason I ask is that recently I ran the engine up for some time to test the fans ( so they defo work if stuck in a traffic jam which is the south east ).

The gauge approached the majic  98 degrees and I could not hear the fan, so looked at the fans from the front. I fiddled with the temp gauge connection and the fans came on.

This may have been cos of a bad connection or cos the temp actually hit the majic figure at that time?

Both fans came on at slow speed.

I had tested the fans the same way when we first got the car, but cant remember if both fans came on. cut in at about 98 ish and cut out at about 92 ish....

I presume if the temp gauge connection is disconnected with the engine running the fans should come on?? a fail safe??

I have sprayed the connections with a wd40 type spray, and have never heard the fans come on at all ( other than deliberate test ) since we have had the car.

The temp usually sits about 70 ish until more load and more hills.

I have never seen the temp above 95 ish with driving.
Thanks given by:
Needs a new thermostat if she's not going over 70 with normal driving. Fans should come on when you unplug the coolant temp sensor. Pretty sure the temp sensors are resistance based sensors, so don't use anything too harsh (like a wire brush) to clean then, nylon should be alright. These are very efficient engines, i wouldn't expect the fans to cut in during normal driving, unless you're the sort that will sit in stationary traffic for an hour with the engine running lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant temp sensor MartinL 2 975 23-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Last Post: MartinL
  Intake temp and Exhaust temp sensors? JTaylor2005 5 2,387 26-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005