Rear Beam Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Beam Help
I've never really looked at a beam properly (taken it apart etc..), was wondering if anyone would care to help me? Smile

I want to try to understand how they work..

Is this what makes up the beam?:

3 bars 1 arb, 2 torsion bars
2 trailing arms
and the outer beam case?

I can kinda guess what the arb does (twist inside the outer beam case to try to level the car)?

What do the torsion bars do? Does it support the car at the correct height with the weight on it? (effectively the spring?)

Anything I've missed please add it in?

What are the max sizes people use for arb and torsion? ( I've noticed pug1off do 25mm torsion bars)

Reason I ask debating what spec beam to build for the track car and my supercharged one...
Thanks given by:
Why not speak to welshpug for a day's labour and tutorial.
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2015, 10:48 AM)Lwilliams Wrote: I've never really looked at a beam properly (taken it apart etc..), was wondering if anyone would care to help me? Smile

I want to try to understand how they work..

Is this what makes up the beam?:

3 bars 1 arb, 2 torsion bars
2 trailing arms
and the outer beam case?

I can kinda guess what the arb does (twist inside the outer beam case to try to level the car)?

What do the torsion bars do? Does it support the car at the correct height with the weight on it? (effectively the spring?)

Anything I've missed please add it in?

What are the max sizes people use for arb and torsion? ( I've noticed pug1off do 25mm torsion bars)

Reason I ask debating what spec beam to build for the track car and my supercharged one...

torsion bars do hold its height yes and are a sprung bar really.

23.5mm is the biggest torsion bar you can fit without having to remove the arm to fit.

Rear arb 30mm is the biggest but i have built one with a 32mm!! on that note youll need to check you trailing arm shafts as alot now will need machining out to fit a 28mm+ bar.

As for buying bars id try torsion bar performance first before paying lots with companies.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear beam ...the good and the bad Mighty306 35 15,403 23-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear Beam Pgtips 1 1,402 26-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Rear beam rebuild MOK 21 6,581 18-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MOK