307 1.6 hdi to 2.0 hdi conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
307 1.6 hdi to 2.0 hdi conversion
Hi All,

I could get my hands on a facelift 2006 307 van. Would fitting a 2.0 hdi be much of a conversion?

Would I have to get a full 2.0 hdi loom from a older 307.

Or would I get away with just changing the ecu?

I'm guessing I would need 2.0 hdi box, exhaust, mounts, ecu, possible fuel tank and clocks at a minimum?

Has anyone seen this conversion done before?

Thanks
Project 205 D turbo- Reshell : http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28909
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't recommend fitting a loom from any older 307 as all the pre 2006 models had a shite body loom with I reckon a Bosch engine loom which changed to fully motor and body Bosch loom from 06/56 or thereabout with the new loom came a new squarer shape possibly flick out key which is the one to live with if you have to! ;-) 53 plate 307 sw se110 daily family bus :-((( booooooooo!!!!!!:-((((((
Thanks given by:
Why would you take the 1.6 out and go back to the older 2.0 8v, the 1.6 is a much better engine. Or, you could put the 2.0 16v 136 engine in, that's really good, but you won't be able to get one of those cheaply...
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
1.6 better?

Most people seem to think there scrap. Known to give plenty of problems?
Project 205 D turbo- Reshell : http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28909
Thanks given by:
they just don't like being neglected.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Most people are idiots.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think they are great little engines. When looked after. Just look at hdis tuning page.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2015, 05:45 PM)Poodle Wrote: Most people are idiots.

Me included....for buying one...

I really wouldn't buy another. I also wouldn't stick an archaic 8v DW10 in either though. Tongue

Later 16v DW10 136 would be my preference tbh. They're not cheap to buy though, I'd have have swapped out the crappy 1.6 for one by now if they were. Wink
Thanks given by:
(22-07-2015, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

I really wouldn't buy another.  I also wouldn't stick an archaic 8v DW10 in either though. Tongue

Later 16v DW10 136 would be my preference tbh.  They're not cheap to buy though, I'd have have swapped out the crappy 1.6 for one by now if they were. Wink

Can you justify why the 1.6 is so crap? As has been said, the problems people report are nearly always caused by neglect or poor quality servicing.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(22-07-2015, 06:13 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(22-07-2015, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

I really wouldn't buy another.  I also wouldn't stick an archaic 8v DW10 in either though. Tongue

Later 16v DW10 136 would be my preference tbh.  They're not cheap to buy though, I'd have have swapped out the crappy 1.6 for one by now if they were. Wink

Can you justify why the 1.6 is so crap? As has been said, the problems people report are nearly always caused by neglect or poor quality servicing.

I bought mine on 46k, 2 previous owners, full Ford history (some dealer, some independent).

DPF was blocked when I bought it (yes, 46k!), despite changing DPF, topping up Eolys, checking pipes and sensors and doing all the correct stuff with diags I am still having DPF issues. The DPF doesn't get hot enough at 70mph even on a 30c day with AC on to passively regen - so it's rinsing fuel roughly once a week to actively regen, and the power loss is noticeable a day or 2 before it needs regen'ing, the backpressure causes a jerky/struggling feeling, which will ultimately ruin the turbo if the carbon doesn't get it first.

MPG is poor - it's only 110bhp and not massively heavy compared with a Golf/Astra etc - how can it struggle to maintain 55mpg at a constant speed!? In fact on a purely 70mph trip the computer reckons its more like 50mpg, a 2.0 will do that and more ffs. People buy diesels for long runs, whats the point of a diesel that is better round town/backroads!

Power is shit. Not so much the power itself but the delivery is terrible. Its mapped in such a way to avoid hurting the DPF or allowing NOx - which means you try pulling away normally and the power dips. Put your foot down and it lags/bogs/hesitates. Not only annoying but damn dangerous imo. Only way to get a quick pull away is to rev the tits off it and chirp a tyre as you go - wasting fuel and adding to the soot in the DPF. Then you quickly run out of puff, granted its a tiny turbo, but theres nowhere near enough top end for me. Don't get me wrong there is a very brief period of power which is impressive for a 1.6 - but someone cuts in, slows you down and it then takes forever to build the speed again so I tend to tailgate them to avoid that situation, I blame the engine lol, plus once again wasting fuel because it takes so long to build speed - you could drop a gear but then you're at the top of the rev band so making no more power anyway.

Add to that the fact that the injectors will eventually leak which you won't notice for months when it'll be too late. The turbo will eventually pop regardless of servicing. And the DPF will always be shit.

On the plus side, the tax is cheap - that really is the only plus side to the DV6. I did a lot of research into them before buying - and was interested in the amount of tech that went into making them so light and efficient in theory. But in practice it just doesn't work. I bought it knowing it wouldn't be overly fast, but expecting decent mpg, easy cruising power (being diesel), a reasonable powerband (being VNT) and not to expect death at every quick junction.

The 2.0 would cost more in tax, but MPG wouldn't be any worse, you'd get better power all round and better reliability (from the Focus' on Ford forums at least) so that's what I'll be going for next. Would've already swapped but my Focus is loaded with optional spec that most didn't get, and I haven't seen a local 2.0 with the same spec so far. I really do dislike the 1.6 that much, which is a shame as I like Focus itself.
Thanks given by:
Tom,

You've got an EGR problem, they are not supposed to dip when you accelerate.
Take the DPF off, blank the EGR and you've got yourself a very responsive reliable engine.

Injector seals are easy to do, or just tighten them up a little before they do start leaking. I've got a reseating kit which makes this job very easy to do.

If you've got a proper garrett turbo on there it should be very responsive.

Steve
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
They all seem to dip with standard mapping when the EGR opens, maybe its Ford specific though if you don't get it with the PSA cars? Blanking the EGR seems to be the fix on the Ford forums but I'm not keen on that without mapping, though I did buy a blank months ago. There are also no EGR faults on live diags or codes left.

Removing the DPF and re-mapping would cost as much as swapping to a 2.0 - with the Focus you get a 6 speed box and rear discs on the 2.0 as well so I'd rather put the money towards another instead of modding this one.

I have been tightening the injectors at each service, but as they're supposed to be angle tightened I'm not sure 'guess tweaking' them is good for the bolts?

I do have the original turbo still, GT1544v, but it just seems to have a tiny power band. Though maybe its because I'm more used to bigger VNTs? Both the Golfs and Vec used a GT1749v, which was slightly laggier bottom end addmittedly but had a much wider power band.
Thanks given by:
What Steve said.^^^^
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
i wouldnt bother swapping from a modern engine to one thats older... seems to be a lot of hassle for only saying ive got 2.0 instead of 1.6...
Thanks given by:
No comment, Tom. Makeup
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well you need to delete the EGR if you blank it otherwise it will give a fault after a few restarts (depending on your SW version). It's not normal on the peugeots to dip, but I ahve noticed it on a couple and blanking it definetely stopped it.

As for the small power band, the stock setup is never going to be great, but you could just have a MAF or turbo EV problem, would have to run some diag to be sure..
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
small power band? its a diesel FFS! if you want power band buy a petrol!
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2015, 10:57 AM)welshpug Wrote: small power band? its a diesel FFS! if you want power band buy a petrol!

Problem is I also like torque and MPG...

And I meant small for a diesel... Compared to the other diesels I've owned. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Or get it mapped properly lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think the problem with yours tom, lies between the drivers seat and steering wheel.. with every car you have ever owned for that matter!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2015, 04:03 PM)Poodle Wrote: Or get it mapped properly lol.

Costs too much with EDC16 lol. Sad

I miss £50 maps... lol

(25-07-2015, 09:11 PM)toseland Wrote: I think the problem with yours tom, lies between the drivers seat and steering wheel.. with every car you have ever owned for that matter!

I agree tbh. I honestly don't know how some (most!) people put up with things, particularly with cars that you spend hours in every day... I must just get more irritated by things that most people don't notice I guess?

For example, this afternoon I noticed one of my neighbours has a directional tyre fitted on the wrong side...it's been playing on my mind all evening, I doubt he knows or cares but all I want to do is swap it to the other side, its really frustrating me. lol
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2015, 09:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Costs too much with EDC16 lol. Sad

That's because it's really hard to do them properly Wink
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Should've had plenty of time to practice and perfect it by now, its not exactly new tech these days! Tongue

It wasn't aimed at you btw, costs too much with everywhere I've asked. lol
Thanks given by:
The problem is that they nearly always have completely differently software, and they nearly always have problems with the turbo VNT setup as none of them have the turbo they left the factory with so they're always a pain in the arse to set up.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by: