DW10 Piper cam

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DW10 Piper cam
Hi all!

I've put a few posts up recently regarding DW10 heads. I am currently rebuilding a head to be installed with a new gearbox mounted turbo set-up. 

My question to you guy's is, are the piper cams for the HDI any good? I'm thinking since im doing the rebuild anyway and can only help the new turbo with flow. Well once mapped. 

The can I am thinking about is the Fast road one 

http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www...=PHDIBP270

if anyone has had any experience on this it would be very helpful as to if its worth the cost?

I have attempted to do some research and found some people that have fitted them to XUD10 and people that have had a HDI but then never fitted. But no reviews from how it actually performs. 

any help is appreciated, 

Thanks in advance. 
Jake
Thanks given by:
XUD10???
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
*** XUD9 

Its late in the day......   TMI
Thanks given by:
Spend the money you'd spend on a camshaft on getting the engine/hardware built right first time.

It's a nice thing to do once the engine is ready to take a lot of power, but usually the head is flowing more than well enough for the power people want and people get hung up on fitting parts like camshafts, having heads flowed etc, but the fuel system isn't capable and nor is the turbocharger.

Order of things to do:

1. Decent exhaust
2. Decent turbocharger
3. Decent fuel supply system (CR pump and supply pump)
4. Decent injectors
5. Make the engine hold together (conrods, valvetrain...)
6. Get head ported by someone who actually knows what they're doing.
7. Maybe then bother with a camshaft at the same time as the head being ported.

Until you're at point 7, there's money to be spent in so many other areas that will gain you so much more horsepower per £££ than a camshaft ever would.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(20-03-2016, 09:29 PM)Ruan Wrote: Spend the money you'd spend on a camshaft on getting the engine/hardware built right first time.

It's a nice thing to do once the engine is ready to take a lot of power, but usually the head is flowing more than well enough for the power people want and people get hung up on fitting parts like camshafts, having heads flowed etc, but the fuel system isn't capable and nor is the turbocharger.

Order of things to do:

1. Decent exhaust
2. Decent turbocharger
3. Decent fuel supply system (CR pump and supply pump)
4. Decent injectors
5. Make the engine hold together (conrods, valvetrain...)
6. Get head ported by someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Until you're at point 7, there's money to be spent in so many other areas that will gain you so much more horsepower per £££ than a camshaft ever would.

Right ok looks like that alongside what i've found may have settled it. Thanks for the info. 

Out of interest as you mentioned injectors. what sort of price tag are JP's nozzles that he is selling?

Thanks Jake
Thanks given by:
if you take a look at the stickied thread at the top, he uses a piper ultimate road cam iirc (its definitely one of the SP cams from piper cams but I cant remember which one) and he is somewhere in the region of 500 horses..

JP would be the best one to ask about that but they are MANY pennies... there are viable alternatives much more cheaply for the sort of price (Alfa JTD nozzles anyone?) hell even the standard nozzles with a decent pump and rail sensor are good to over 200bhp.

I will add one caveat to Ruan's post and that is

1. Decent exhaust
1a. suitably sized (stupidly large) intercooler
2. Decent turbocharger
3. Decent fuel supply system (CR pump and supply pump) The R70 part number is CR/CP1s3/R70 0445010021, if you ebay the "00" number itll find loads
4. Decent injectors, 076 injectors are newer standard version,.
5. Make the engine hold together (conrods, valvetrain, ARP studs in the head and rods...)
6. Get head ported by someone who actually knows what they're doing. Psss... file, chisel and a lump hammer is all you need
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2016, 01:29 PM)toseland Wrote: if you take a look at the stickied thread at the top,  he uses a piper ultimate road cam iirc (its definitely one of the SP cams from piper cams but I cant remember which one) and he is somewhere in the region of 500 horses..  

JP would be the best one to ask about that but they are MANY pennies...  there are viable alternatives much more cheaply for the sort of price (Alfa JTD nozzles anyone?)    hell even the standard nozzles with a decent pump and rail sensor are good to over 200bhp.

I will add one caveat to Ruan's post and that is

1. Decent exhaust
1a. suitably sized (stupidly large) intercooler
2. Decent turbocharger
3. Decent fuel supply system (CR pump and supply pump)  The R70 part number is CR/CP1s3/R70 0445010021,  if you ebay the "00" number itll find loads
4. Decent injectors,  076 injectors are newer standard version,.
5. Make the engine hold together (conrods, valvetrain, ARP studs in the head and rods...)
6. Get head ported by someone who actually knows what they're doing.  Psss...  file, chisel and a lump hammer is all you need

Ok thanks will sure go with stock cam for now, a pump is on the list will porbs go with a R70 when the time comes to it. However, at some point I want to look at hybriding a R70 (cp1) shell to fit R85 (cp3) internals. 

Thanks Jake
Thanks given by:
Don't bother with farting around with fitting internals of other pumps in etc...

Use a CP3S3/R85 or whatever size you'd like as normal, disconnect the ZME and use a Mercedes CDI fuel rail instead, this has a regulator just like the CP1S3 pump has on the side which you can connect up.

Then it works the same as the original CP1S3 pump, but doesn't use the CP1H/CP3S ZME inlet metering system, just uses post pump relief.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: bixigu
You'll have trouble building a hybrid pump, i think uberderv burnt out a few carbide bits trying. Better off finding someone to map for a cp3 imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok thats some useful information,

Thanks for the help, i'm sure there will be some more posts before its all fitted.

I'll have to make sure i do some good documentation.

Jake
Thanks given by:
more valves.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Please do, we will be watching with interest. If ever you're over Southampton way feel free to pop in for a cuppa and go through your latest theories. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Jps injectors are £1000
Thanks given by:
Even brand new from Alfa they arent that much!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yeah it was like a kick in the stones when he told me the price. I was going to get it mapped by him but done alot of searching and decided to go elsewhere
Thanks given by:
Maps are good, the injectors match, i should clarify that what i meant was you can get a brand new set of alfa 1.9 JTD injectors for less than the cost of those albeit they are not as good, they do a damn good job for most of our needs.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Im not saying they are bad or hes a bad mapper or anything like that im just saying i like what i have heard about another tuner who will not charge me the earth
Thanks given by:
I know, was just clarifying my point to avoid drama!, seemed like I was saying he uses alfa injectors.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Piper Camshaft JTaylor2005 4 1,887 22-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  DW10 vs DW12 vs DV6 Dreijers 43 16,069 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Poodle
Wink Converting DW10 to IDI (XUD) TwinkleToes 22 6,715 27-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Poodle