Recommend a Mini Hi-Fi System?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend a Mini Hi-Fi System?
As title really, any recommendations for one? My Hitachi AXM26 has only lasted 12 years unfortunately. Sad About 6 years ago the CD part packed up. About 4 years ago the PCB gained a fault (pressing buttons triggers the wrong functions). And I'd put up with those faults until the last couple of months when there's been an awful intermittent fuzz on the radio which has got worse very quickly and has nothing to do with the location/weather/battery charging it seems.

So time for a new one, problem is I can't think of many places where you can try before buying, only Currys and Hughes afaik!? So thought it might be worth an ask on here... I'll go for value for money rather than outright cheapness, hopefully this one will last longer!! Max budget is £100 though.

Req's are - CD, DAB and FM, alarm/timer function, sleep function, remote control, clear sound but doesn't have to be overly loud, preferably gloss black to match all my other stuff lol.

I don't need iPad connections or anything like that, and I don't need enormous speakers either lol.

So yeah, anyone recommend anything? Smile

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Get a cheap dvd surround system. Best of both worlds; can enjoy music/radio and enjoy movies and tv in surround sound. Plus the speakers are tiny so don't blatantly stand out

Edit: just read your budget is <£100, disregard what i said lol
Thanks given by:
try your local Richer Sounds ?!? they usually have stuff to demo
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Just go to a currys/pc world and try out any models that take your fancy. Note the model number and price, find a cheaper deal online and get currys/john lewis to price match
Thanks given by:
Nothing in Currys that fits my criteria. Sad Didn't know John Lewis did that sort of thing though...will have a look there.

As for DVDs, I can't remember the last time I watched one lol, don't have the attention span for films, much prefer listening to music while doing other things. Smile
Thanks given by:
Richer sounds. The one here you can go in, demo most of their stuff and if you're really nice they will sell you the shelf item for cheaper!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Richer sounds do like talking to you a lot though (they're known for great service), so be warned lol
Thanks given by:
you want what i got... a set of sterling LS3/5a's with a cyrus 6a amplifier, with an REL Stadium III subwoofer! might be a shade out of your price range tho,.

but with only £100 to spend your "criteria" will be limited to little combined systems from places like argos most likely, as whilst richer sounds do supply them they tend to get pricey very quick

argos
something like

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...279672.htm

or a little cheaper

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...151888.htm

richersounds

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...151888.htm (currently £50 off, @ £99.

or for a little more money

http://www.richersounds.com/product/mini...chc29dbebk
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
There isn't a Richer Sounds round here so that's out lol, closest one is Norwich. Confused

Had already looked at the Argos ones, same as the Currys ones lol. The couple that fit my criteria only have 10W speakers, that doesn't like much compared when standard car speakers are more than double that?? Or will that be fine due to the different environment (less external noise)?
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2015, 08:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: There isn't a Richer Sounds round here so that's out lol, closest one is Norwich. Confused

Had already looked at the Argos ones, same as the Currys ones lol.  The couple that fit my criteria only have 10W speakers, that doesn't like much compared when standard car speakers are more than double that??  Or will that be fine due to the different environment (less external noise)?

depends if they're quoting RMS or 'Music'(PMPO) output Dodgy
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Scour charity shops and ebay for old but very high quality sound systems.
You can pick up something that used to be very high-end for next to nothing if you're patient. My old housemate bought a pair of huge living room sony speakers for 10 pounds that were definitely extremely expensive bits of kit in the 90s. Borderline audiophile top end stuff from the 90s still sounds absolutely excellent, with great clarity and way less distortion than any tiny ipod dock even if it is a pricey one.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
UPDATE 27/08

Sooo, I bought a Panasonic SC-HC29DB in early July. None of the other compacts came close to the sound quality and I was happy to pay a little more for a good brand. It was on offer at the time at around £100 so still quite expensive.

Anyway, it's now faulty, clearly you don't get what you pay for these, everythings shit regardless of price. lol

It keeps turning itself on at random times. I told Panasonic about this and their advice was to turn it off and on again for a reset...gee, thanks, I hadn't thought of that. Rolleyes Now twice it's changed the volume randomly as well, came on this morning at the correct time but at double volume, waking me up instantly and probably my neighbour as well. Fortunately he gets up early anyway but not that early. Dodgy

BUT now it's over 21 days old Currys won't take it back. The only other option I've been given is being sent away for an unknown amount of time for repair. Can I challenge this? I'd much prefer a replacement or refund and it's only 6 weeks old!!

I use it every morning to get me up, and often half the day as well, plus it'll almost certainly pick up scratches on the gloss plastic finish if sent away for repair which will drive me mad lol. So really don't want it sent away if possible.
Thanks given by:
f*ck that 21 days shit mate, Sale of goods act. What did you pay with, please say credit card....

(oh think it has to be over £100 for credit card help, worth checking)
Thanks given by:
You won't like it Tom but you just need to argue with Currys. We had the same with a TV. Just stopped working. They told us we would have to send it off. Asked to speak to the manager and mentioned sale of goods act and they replaced it there and then.
They do not like replacing things because it means they have to mess about with the return which I may add is substantially easier for them than it is for you!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Paid with debit card, don't trust myself with a credit card lol.

Thanks Niall, will have to give that a go then. Undecided
Thanks given by:
Should've bought an old Sony system off ebay or summit, I'm not a massive fan but they make a decent Hifi system, also as Niall says, you need to TELL them to swap it Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I had an old system...it was f*cked....I thought buying new with warranty was the best way to go. Rolleyes
Thanks given by: