406 blower fan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
406 blower fan
Pulling my hair out over this. So, when I was in Cornwall the blower just didn't come on when I turned the key one morning. I googled it and apparently its usually the blower speed controller, so I replaced this, still dead, sent that back. Then I read that it can also be the fan itself, replaced that, still dead, sent it back.

So decided to get technical. Apparently there's a switch on the back of the ignition barrel that only supplies power to the blower motor fuse, checked it with a multimeter and there's 12v at the fuse with the ignition on, so no problem there. Checked the motor plug, and that's where it gets weird. There's 2 wires, red and black. Black has no voltage, think it might be earth, but red has 12v regardless of whether the blower is even switched on? How is that possible and if so why isn't the fan running?

I hate electrics. Any ideas guys?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Try putting 12v on the fan to make sure it works first. The black could be a switch wire and the motor is grounded from the body?
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate. Can I literally just connect a wire from the battery positive to the pin on the motor?
Thanks given by:
Have you already checked the ignition switch?

My 406 use to be like this by the blower can be operate if we supply 12V direct to it.

After find every related part and connector, I swap the new ignition barrel and they can properly work.

The cause of problem of my 406 came from poor contact of ignition barrel..
1999 306 GTI-6 PT81 & Remapping
2000 406 SRI 2.0 Turbo 6M/T @ 1 Bar Boosted

[Image: 150521115952.jpg]

Thanks given by:
I did yeah, the switch at the back feeds a 40A fuse in the fuse box, I checked the fuse terminal and it has 12v with the ignition on. I heard that was a common issue.
Thanks given by:
Just make sure you have you've polarity correct. But yeah I'd stick 12v on it and make sure the fan works first.
Thanks given by:
Whats polarity?
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2015, 05:59 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Whats polarity?

Determines which way the fan turns I think. So if it sucks (easy Wink ) you could switch the positive and neutral around for it to blow.

I think.
Thanks given by:
Think I'm gonna throw in the towel and go to an auto electrician to be honest Sad
Thanks given by:
The red does get 12v all the time - the current to the motor is controlled by the resistor/solonoid pack - I will say if you bought an ebay resistor then borrow a working one to check it, because I had that issue - 2 dead ones new from ebay....
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
as rip says try a new/different fan control module they are an electronic module not a resistor pack
they switch the ground on the fan motor, and yes the fan should have 12v all the time the ign is on Wink

drawing for you if you can read it

8050 is the fan blower
8045 is the electronic module

.pdf   liam.pdf (Size: 294.27 KB / Downloads: 3)

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Cheers lads I'll have a punt on another.
Thanks given by:
Have you tried tapping the relay or listening for a click whilst working the switch?
3 x Peugeot owner.

1996 106.
1996 306 D Turbo S.
1994 Mercedes Benz 320E.
1997 306 GLX.

Subscribe! - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheADKJD/videos
Thanks given by:
These are earthed back into the loom iirc, checked you've got a clean earth? Shit aftermarket controller is pretty likely though, see it a lot at work.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Tempted to just tap into an ignition live and hard wire it to be honest...
Thanks given by:
Is it the early or the late controller?
Can borrow mine if you're nearby, it's on axle stands at the 'mo anyway
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(17-07-2015, 08:57 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Is it the early or the late controller?
Can borrow mine if you're nearby, it's on axle stands at the 'mo anyway
Would have thought its the late one, mines a phase 2. Which is yours mate? Cheers for the offer pal.
Thanks given by:
Ah, mine is the early one, '98.
Thanks given by:
Damn, definitely different Sad
Thanks given by: