Rear Suspension fettled - still a knocking noise! (ZX)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Suspension fettled - still a knocking noise! (ZX)
For the past few months, I;ve had a horrible knocking noise from my car (ZX Hatch). When bumbling along, any adverse change in the road surface (so 99% of the shit roads round here!) causes some hollow clonking noises from under the car. Not when going round corners, slow full lock creeping etc, just driving along normally.

I've changed the lower balljoint (which fixed a previous noise, although it has occured to me that it could have failed again, was only an ebay cheapy but has done under 2000 miles) and track rod ends.). The balljoint used to knock like a bastard when turning a corner, there's no knocking at all now whilst turning.)

She's also wearing 4 shiney new tyres, so I can rule that out (new tyres fixed the steering wheel alignment too...)

[Image: upload_-1.jpg]

Last weekend, I changed all the rear beam bushes after following a guide on here, which went well tbh, although the old ones weren't ruined tbh

I had hoped to fit some new rear shocks but it turns out I bought/got sent the wrong ones from ebay...

The new ones have a protruding piece either side on the top which the old ones dont have. Am I safe just chopping the ends off flush with the bush or will it knacker the shock? If not, anyone know of a set of rear shocks that fit a 94 ZX 1.9TD Volcane?

Anyway, back end done (really need a new exhaust though it seems) and..... still knocking about! A mate came with me for the shakedown test and after sitting in the front and back said it sounds like it's coming from the front.

So, droplinks or wishbone bushes next? Neither are particularly expensive so dont mind spending out on both but is it more likely to be one rather than the other? Need an exhaust too as the backbox is welded onto the centre section, and that weld is rusting away, theres already a big hole and she sounds even more shite than the xud normally does.

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
is your spare wheel carrier tightened up properly? i had this once, was worried about the sus but it was just the spare thumping the boot floor
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Almost certainly arb links. I take it the new shocks don't fit? If they do it could just be an updated design.

Will take this opportunity to warn you against any more ebay special parts, unless of course you enjoy doing the same job every six months, in which case drash on! Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Best option is to put all 4 wheels of the ground and check everything for play/wear, if youve new shocks and beam mounts check everything is tight first. Next thing id check is spare wheel carrier if you still have it and exhaust. You can get noises from the front that will convince you are from the back...trust me Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Well, it was the drop links in the end, it's now as quiet as a 21 year old car with lowered suspension from factory as it can be!

Also means that most of my suspension consumables are ebay specials, we shall see how good they really are (it's all fitted now, I'm not replacing them just because, I'll wait for them to come a'knocking again and have a think about newer parts!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Side Rear Knocking (video included) Tom85 4 1,161 04-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Tom85
  Rear suspension, torsion bar to mcpherson Insanity-74 21 3,636 01-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Rear beam knocking hotrodjacko 13 2,994 27-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Matt