306 TUD5 Turbo Project. - Yes, TUD5 in a 306!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 TUD5 Turbo Project. - Yes, TUD5 in a 306!!!
"306 TUD5, they didn't make those, thats impossible."
"What a bloody stupid idea"
"That'll be the slowest 306 ever"

Meh.
Peugeot didn't make it, I did!
Why, because why the f*ck not.

So I had a 106 TUD5 that I was gonna turbo but in typical 106 fashion it was rusty as f*ck even though the engine was still good. Well this wee beasty turned up on ebay at £80 and I went halves on it with on other forum member. Got £20 for the engine and £20 for the cat. FREE CAR!!

To drive it home I needed most of these

Any idea what was wrong yet LOL

This was the oil (with about 3l of coolant in it.)

So after liberating the TUD5 from the 106 and getting rid of the shell I stripped the 1.4 ready to drop out.

Then spent some time head scratching about the mount that I had guessed would be a straight fit but wasn't. Just needed 1 stud removing and one moving to a different hole thankfully so double nutted them and out they came.

Bottom mount was a straight fit with different length bolts after tapping the holes to clean nearly 2 decades worth of shit out of them.

Ready to go in, the water pipe at the back needs a little adjusting with a blow torch to clear the new engine mount but it needs less than 10mm so it'll be fine.

And Look it's in. Plenty of room for 'activities'.
All done in a day on my own and without an engine crane or any sort of hoist, just brute force, ignorance, many hammers and dropping the car down to the engine level.

Thanks given by:
Engine looks like it's leaning over the front axle a little bit?

Interesting project for sure, will be interesting how to see how long it'll last before it pops.. with the addition of the blower and hauling a few hundred kilos more than usual!
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2015, 04:11 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Engine looks like it's leaning over the front axle a little bit?

Interesting project for sure, will be interesting how to see how long it'll last before it pops.. with the addition of the blower and hauling a few hundred kilos more than usual!

Yeah the TU lumps do lean forwards a little in the 306, it's accentuated in this cos of the pump and alternator being at the front. It's not as big a weight difference as you might think. Last time I had the 106 weighed it was 860kg and partially stripped and running on fumes so easily 900kg full. The 306 1.4 only books at 1050kg so only 150kg difference potentially or a large passenger.
Thanks given by:
Lol. This is gonna be epic. Don't care what people say.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
This has potential.. I like the idea, just don't bodge it. If you need any help let me know.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(06-07-2015, 06:30 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: just don't bodge it. 
Rofl Rofl Rofl
Thanks given by:

I thought you would of learnt by now Jonny

Week 1: This is awesome
Week 2: Minor works are needed. Not an issue
Week 3: Plow money into bodging minor works
Week 4: Bodges fail, drivability worsens
Week 5: Can someone lend me some money to fix my car?
(Day 4 week 5: Internet begging commences)
Week 6: Car off road - Repair immanent
Week 10: Its f*cked, scrap it, I'm going to do something else equally stupid.

Tongue
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Love something different dum dum I will keep a eye on this all about the fun been there dome that
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2015, 06:05 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Lol. This is gonna be epic. Don't care what people say.
Cheers mate, gonna be interesting lol.

(06-07-2015, 06:30 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: This has potential.. I like the idea, just don't bodge it. If you need any help let me know.
Cheers buddy, It's only a daily so economy(, veg) and a little boost are the priorities.
I might take you up on the offer of help especially when it comes to doing the exhaust as I hate welding lying on the floor. Everything else is actually relatively simple.
As for not bodging, me, really? I've just nailed in the engine on my own without an engine crane. How about I nail it together and you come and correct the bodges if you want to help Smile

(06-07-2015, 06:59 PM)xudlingo Wrote: Love something different dum dum I will keep a eye on this all about the fun been there dome that
Cheers mate, I'd never seen a TUD engine in a 306 before (probably a good reason for that but meh) so as I has an engine and there was a cheap 306 I'm just gonna smash on. It's keeping me from trying to nail things that shouldn't be on a rallye on a rallye so all's well that ends well.
Thanks given by:
why not I say.

See what happens. If you can make 100-120bhp and still do 70mpg then I will be impressed.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2015, 06:36 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:
Rofl Rofl Rofl

This was going to be my response... ass

Popcorn

Let's see what happens to this one...........
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2015, 07:39 PM)Piggy Wrote: why not I say.

See what happens. If you can make 100-120bhp and still do 70mpg then I will be impressed.
Well that was my thought, admittedly it was averaging over 50mpg on veg I was hoping for but gotta have targets. Samass made over 120bhp with his and pretty much zero cooling so I can't see why I can't make that 120bhp reliable at very least and be lighter than a stage 1 HDi.

(06-07-2015, 07:42 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(06-07-2015, 06:36 PM)zx_volcane Wrote:
Rofl Rofl Rofl

This was going to be my response... ass

Popcorn

Let's see what happens to this one...........

Captain Popcorn Returns!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by:
So this is how you did your back in then?
Thanks given by:
(06-07-2015, 10:06 PM)306Dan Wrote: So this is how you did your back in then?

Nope, that was trying to lift my trailer up and lifting like a fuckwit with back rather than legs. Yes, stupid I know.
Thanks given by:
Haha won't be 200kg lighter once you've finished adding boost, proper brakes and wheels. Wink Should be interesting to watch, hope you get on well with it.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
You could sit in that engine bay along side that motor.

Definitely different which is awesome!

Whats the plan with drive shafts? do the 1.4 ones bolt right in?
Thanks given by:
Strap a GT2052V to it?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Glad to see this happening Smile been thinking about doing this to mine so someone having done it already is a bonus lol, love to have a visit to see how it looks in person sometime Smile
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2015, 05:42 AM)Poodle Wrote: Haha won't be 200kg lighter once you've finished adding boost, proper brakes and wheels. Wink Should be interesting to watch, hope you get on well with it.
Dunno, I quite like it on 14s. Turbo and stuff will add a bit but not a huge amount, maybe not alot more than the AC system that I just removed.

(07-07-2015, 08:18 AM)mr_fish Wrote: You could sit in that engine bay along side that motor.

Definitely different which is awesome!

Whats the plan with drive shafts? do the 1.4 ones bolt right in?
It's currently on the 1.4 box so 1.4 shafts are straight fit. When it goes to a BE box I'll just run BE shafts as the hubs are the same as is the center bearing.

(07-07-2015, 08:22 AM)silverzx Wrote: Strap a GT2052V to it?
Nope, too big and I have a 1749v in the workshop.

(07-07-2015, 01:43 PM)John1.4 Wrote: Glad to see this happening Smile been thinking about doing this to mine so someone having done it already is a bonus lol, love to have a visit to see how it looks in person sometime Smile

Yeah give me a couple of months to get it finished and I'll let you have a proper look, maybe Christmas meet.
Thanks given by: Redordead89
yeah sounds good Smile
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
Easssssy tiger!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
ahahahaha, don't ever change chris lmao
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
So anyone have any idea of how far to turn the lucas pump for the nad to make a few more horses without having a silly idle or coaling to fook?

Inlet to the lucas is a M10x1.25 banjo so that is going to be a pain in the arse for the 10mm lines but such is life, it has 10mm lines ready for bosch and boost.

Hopefully going to order what this needs to hit the road tomorrow morning.
Thanks given by:
A bit, but not to much
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
It wont take much without boost tbh. You just get coal!

So its all in and running then pal??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(19-07-2015, 08:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: It wont take much without boost tbh. You just get coal!

So its all in and running then pal??

I have done practically nothing since the initial post.

I've either been fixing the rallye or been away. Am going to get on with it over next week and hopefully have her "roadworthy" for the start of August
Thanks given by:
Misread your post i think...

The bit about it hitting the road tomorrow morning!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No ordering bits tomorrow LOL.
I could of phrased that better.
Thanks given by:
Boooo sad now
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Little bit more done now, got linkages on and battery tray back in. I've cut away the ECU tray to mount a smaller screenwash bottle so I can put the PAS pump up on the inner wing. The battery is in and the wiring is done bar having the wrong plug on the loom for the reverse gear sensor and I can now lock the car again. Not tried to run it as the starter is still in the garage and needs to stay off while I finish water pipes. Hopefully get some shafts in and finish the water pipes and I'll have a go at starting her.

Oh and the intercooler is here, Mondeo mk4, like most it's just a tad wide but it looks like it's gonna be spot on otherwise and for only £30. Still waiting on alot of fuel piping to turn up.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DeeC’s 306 VNT Turbo Build / Show Car Project darrencurry0808 63 22,956 30-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: darrencurry0808
  Project Truck Turbo MkII, gathering dust ozonehostile 418 187,798 29-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Dturboleeds
  306 XND to D-turbo track car project Sfin01 0 1,743 01-01-2019, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Sfin01