Air Conditioning.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Conditioning.
Hi all,

I am wondering what should actually kick in when I press the air conditioning button. At the moment I hear nothing and don't notice any engine rev drops, nothing seems to change at all when I press the button. I know on modern cars when you press it you often get a slight drop in revs and hear a pump or something etc.

I have looked in the haynes manual for information on the wiring diagrams but I have found nothing of any use unfortunately Sad

Any advice would be great Smile

Thanks, Jack
Thanks given by:
The air con compressor, bottom front drivers side of the engine has an electric clutch, The pulley free-wheels on the belt until you press the AC button. IF there is enough gas in the system the electric clutch kicks in and the pulley turns the compressor. I would guess theres no gas in your system so nothing at all will happen. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ahh so it is dependent on the gas in the system. Surprised there isn't some fault if it has a pressure sensor on it for when its running low. Shouldn't a fan turn on as well?
Thanks given by:
Yes dependant on amount of gas. There is a pressure sensor for the system (brown plug next to washer filler tube), if this detects too low a pressure (not enough gas) then it won't allow the system to start at all - so no AC clutch or fans or anything. Only thing that happens is the button illuminates, which is a bit pointless lol. It's a failsafe thing as if you did turn on the compressor without any gas (and the lube that's mixed in the gas) you'd wreck the compressor.
Thanks given by: JTaylor2005
Lovely haha. Never an easy fix with these cars. Don't enjoy driving it at all in the hot weather haha.
Thanks given by:
You are welcome to try a regas, it could be that simple. However I'd expect damaged pipes. Most places will do a simple leak test before filling the gas anyway, so if there is a major leak you don't have to pay anything.

Air con is great btw, mine works fine. Tongue Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeah I will have to give it a go but I just know its probably going to not work anyway haha :/ never mind. Suppose I will get used to the warm lol. There is no shade to park under where I work.

And haha lucky but then again you didn't buy french this time Tongue lol
Thanks given by:
Lots of good threads on this, relatively cheap and easy DIY fix + £30 re-gas.
Get on it, so so so hot at the moment.
Thanks given by:
My a/c works but i dont like keeping windows closed in the summer. 
Rather have the shitty warm air rushing into the car as i drive lol
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2015, 08:03 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Yeah I will have to give it a go but I just know its probably going to not work anyway haha :/ never mind. Suppose I will get used to the warm lol. There is no shade to park under where I work.

And haha lucky but then again you didn't buy french this time Tongue lol

AC is broken on a lot of old cars tbf, its not French specific... In fact there are loads of Focii with broken AC as they put the condenser rad in front of the fans...right in the path of stones flicking off the motorway at 70mph... lol

Seriously though, you wont get used to this sort of heat. Its worth at least attempting to fix imo. Smile

Also could get a reflective windscreen thing for when parked.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Conditioning Repair JTaylor2005 13 4,388 03-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: mangler