Brakes sticking on rear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brakes sticking on rear
Hi guys, I have an issue with my rear brakes.
They seem to stick when I pull off, and the handbrake is rubbish.
Ive got new cables on the way, is there anything specific I need to do to get them on.
Do I need to reset the yoke in the cabin?
Thanks
Mark

Also, my ABS is an issue. Will sticking rear brakes be causing the ECU a headache?
The light will pop on after about 10 mins driving then stay on till ive turned the car off and on again.
Thanks

Also forgot to mention its a rear disc HDI
Thanks given by:
Are your brakes disc or drum?
Thanks given by:
Their discs.
Thanks given by:
Assuming the discs and pads are good, you want to remove the pads and carrier, clean them up thoroughly with a wire brush and sandpaper on the sliders. Reassemble with a bit of copper grease on the sliders and the back of the pads. If that doesn't fix it, you're most likely looking at caliper issues and will need a rebuild kit or a new one/s.

For the handbrake cables, I'd back off the adjuster in the cabin, release the inside ends, pull them through under the car, remove them from the calipers and then reassemble starting under the car. It's worth putting a touch of copper grease on the end of the cable where it sits in the caliper before attaching to the lever, it helps with getting them out again.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Discs are ok. Pads are brand new. They needed forcing to get into the spider infact as they were too thick. This issue was there before I put new pads in btw.
Thanks given by:
Right.. Some manufacturers manage to get the friction material too thick, if you've forced a set in then that'll most likely be your problem. Pull it all apart and see; if they've worn evenly and move freely on the sliders, they'll be OK. If not, get some new pads and go from there.

Thanks given by:
Well i had this problem before i got these pads in, and admitedly they were worn at an angle. Do you think this is a caliper issue then?
Thanks given by:
Still sounds to me like slider issues, how well did you clean the carrier up? And when you say too thick, you mean the friction material, right? If they're too tight into the carrier, they'll bind, wear unevenly, overheat etc..

Thanks given by:
They were nice and clean when i put the new pads in, It was either friction material of the paint on the pad. I did have to remove the metal bits to fit them in aswell. I know the drivers handbrake cable is knackered. It scraped through on the mot.
Thanks given by:
Job done.
[Image: WP_20150705_15_31_04_Pro_zpsuqlnklx0.jpg]
[Image: WP_20150705_15_31_11_Pro_zpsubyb2iew.jpg]
Didnt even need to take the wheels off.
Nice and easy, hardest part was getting the rears out of the calipers.
This still hasnt cured my abs fault though.
Thanks given by:
Check the abs cables then clean the sensor rings. They rust and the sensor can't read them
If not it's a dead sensor
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Wire brush! Clean the lot up! It's surprising how bloody rusty they get. It's what caused mine to get sticky
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I have tried to clean the rings and the sensors before. I have even checked the resistance at the ECU and they're all similar and within spec.
Is there a problem that you can solve putting a spacer in between?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasty vibration coming from the rear brakes johnny625 9 3,907 12-04-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: johnny625
  Tricky sticking it in..... Uberderv 4 1,911 03-09-2017, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Uberderv
  What Rear Brakes Do I Have cateraxe 7 2,176 07-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Last Post: miles