Job Hunt and Health Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt and Health Issues
Seems like a decent idea. You get the diag hardware which lets you record a time stamp when its one of those things that happen every so often. So youd win points with people who take it to dealers only to be told there's nothing wrong since it didn't appear on the screen right then
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
What have you got to lose, you've got some diagnostic equipment already haven't you?

You'll have a lot of call for airbag lights etc. You'll be able to diagnose and then fix it if you're able to. Probably get quite a bit of mechanical work out of it which you can obviously choose whether or not you're confident enough to fix it yourself.
Thanks given by:
Yeh do that tom. Thatll work out. Then when you have money you can get the custom config software like PP and tec2 etc and do some other things.
Thanks given by:
I've got a decent handheld reader, but its only for engine ecu codes and live data, doesn't do airbag or abs lights.

I also have PP2K, VAGCOM and an ELM cable with Forscan etc...BUT as they're just cheap Chinese knock offs on a knackered old xp laptop, probably not legal to use those commercially!
Thanks given by:
Tom cracking Idea. There's a guy round here who started doing it a few years working out of a shitty old Ibiza. He now has 3 sign written Octavias parked up on his drive so must be doing fairly well out of it!
If it takes off, you may have to invest in a proper reader but that's later down the line.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cracking idea tom

Best luck mate Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Lots of ready made work for your handheld diagnostic scanner among the fleet of dominos cars in your local branch and every other one nearby too most likely!
I have to think the pizza hut and papa johns drivers are all in the same boat too so might be worth dropping some leaflets or cards for their noticeboards for cheap fault diagnosis without the dealer time charges in to your local fast food branches!
Thanks given by:
The more I've thought about it, it wouldn't really work. I wouldn't be able to take live driving diags, do ABS or airbag faults or anything dealer specific. Half the threads I read on the Ford forum people reckon theres 'no faults' on their car because a lot of stuff is specific these days.

But even despite that I'm terrible at being my own boss. Hence the sticker business, gardening business, window cleaning business, valeting business etc (probably missed some!) never working out. So I need to find something where I'm being told what to do ideally.

As some of you know I went to an interview today, very unlikely I'll get the job, but even if I do I'm really not sure I'd be able to do it. Plus it'd only cover half my costs so would need extra anyway.

I've also been to the job centre, they don't offer job advice apparently, only choice I was given was to go on JSA, as long as I'm looking for a FT job...which obviously I'm not. Dodgy

Also had assumed once I'd got a job, even if it didn't cover everything I'd be able to get tax credits to top it up...but I've since found out that doesn't apply until you're 25 and working at least 30 hours a week. So that's not great lol.

I've made 3 attempts to ask if Dominos are after any drivers atm (no signs up) but just can't go in when I get there, keep panicking, freezing and ultimately just walking away again.

I've pretty much run out of places to try now though, there must be something or someone that can help or advise people in similar situations, I just don't know who or where... It's getting a bit frustrating now tbh.
Thanks given by:
Ive got a friend who does landscaping and gardening. He is his own business but often wants a hand. He might be able to help you out but its going to be a problem if you still need safe toilets when youre working away in peoples gardens.
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 09:21 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Ive got a friend who does landscaping and gardening. He is his own business but often wants a hand. He might be able to help you out but its going to be a problem if you still need safe toilets when youre working away in peoples gardens.

Dig a hole, pop up tent with a hole cut in the bottom. Problem solved!
Thanks given by:
If you can sort out mobiles phones you'll have no problems doing a PC, the tiny fiddly electrical bits inside a phone are a nightmare compared to the massive, ham-fisted shit inside a computer.
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2015, 04:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The more I've thought about it, it wouldn't really work. I wouldn't be able to take live driving diags, do ABS or airbag faults or anything dealer specific. Half the threads I read on the Ford forum people reckon theres 'no faults' on their car because a lot of stuff is specific these days.

But even despite that I'm terrible at being my own boss. Hence the sticker business, gardening business, window cleaning business, valeting business etc (probably missed some!) never working out. So I need to find something where I'm being told what to do ideally.

As some of you know I went to an interview today, very unlikely I'll get the job, but even if I do I'm really not sure I'd be able to do it. Plus it'd only cover half my costs so would need extra anyway.

I've also been to the job centre, they don't offer job advice apparently, only choice I was given was to go on JSA, as long as I'm looking for a FT job...which obviously I'm not. Dodgy

Also had assumed once I'd got a job, even if it didn't cover everything I'd be able to get tax credits to top it up...but I've since found out that doesn't apply until you're 25 and working at least 30 hours a week. So that's not great lol.

I've made 3 attempts to ask if Dominos are after any drivers atm (no signs up) but just can't go in when I get there, keep panicking, freezing and ultimately just walking away again.

I've pretty much run out of places to try now though, there must be something or someone that can help or advise people in similar situations, I just don't know who or where... It's getting a bit frustrating now tbh.
Morning Tom, how about an indirect route like phoning the domis or approaching one of the drivers in the branch car park?
Right now is a great time for shifts as all the uni students are going back so every branch is losing staff right now and are pretty much all hiring with sign up or not!
Thanks given by:
Personally the Diagnostics Service seems to be the best option imho

Just think, you receive a call, you drive there to do the diag, get the money and drive home or to the next Wink

That would be one hell of a stress free job. You are your own boss. Advertise on here, in supermarkets, corner shops and, as said above, takeaway places. Ask the JC and they can help point you in the direction of self employment, its easy too mate. They provide courses through another company thats gov funded and they can help you sort stuff out. They can even help you out over the phone if you're not up to sitting in on a lecture with others Wink

Going SE can be sorted out on the net too...no people to contend with ThumbsUp

I would consider it an option Tom, you never know...could be the thing you've been waiting for Wink

P.s off the back of that you could fix mobiles and PC's as an in between thing Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 09:21 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Ive got a friend who does landscaping and gardening. He is his own business but often wants a hand. He might be able to help you out but its going to be a problem if you still need safe toilets when youre working away in peoples gardens.

Thanks but yeah you're right, not ideal. Undecided

(13-08-2015, 09:48 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote:

Dig a hole, pop up tent with a hole cut in the bottom. Problem solved!

It's illegal to bury toxic waste... Confused lol

(13-08-2015, 10:13 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: If you can sort out mobiles phones you'll have no problems doing a PC, the tiny fiddly electrical bits inside a phone are a nightmare compared to the massive, ham-fisted shit inside a computer.

I can't do phones, or at least I've not tried. I can change PC hardware, but don't know enough about software (be like a Bosch VE tech trying to program a HDi ECU..).

(13-08-2015, 10:41 AM)Redordead89 Wrote: Morning Tom, how about an indirect route like phoning the domis or approaching one of the drivers in the branch car park?
Right now is a great time for shifts as all the uni students are going back so every branch is losing staff right now and are pretty much all hiring with sign up or not!

I can't really use phones, especially if I've gotta start the call. I hoped they'd have branch e-mail addresses but they don't. Also been waiting for someone in my flats to order pizza to catch the delivery guy lol. There never seems to be anyone in the carpark...or on the counter from what I can see through the window. lol I'll just have to keep trying it tbh.
Thanks given by:
Tom if you can't do face to face you NEED to be able to do telephones, not everything can be done via email.

I bloody hate telephones but I've worked in a call centre environment for 4 years now even though my job is no longer telephone based I have to use the phone daily!

What's wrong with using a phone? You can sit on the toilet whilst on the phone, in your own home, with no-one able to see you.. it doesn't get much easier..
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 11:18 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: Personally the Diagnostics Service seems to be the best option imho

Just think, you receive a call, you drive there to do the diag, get the money and drive home or to the next Wink

That would be one hell of a stress free job. You are your own boss. Advertise on here, in supermarkets, corner shops and, as said above, takeaway places. Ask the JC and they can help point you in the direction of self employment, its easy too mate. They provide courses through another company thats gov funded and they can help you sort stuff out. They can even help you out over the phone if you're not up to sitting in on a lecture with others Wink

Going SE can be sorted out on the net too...no people to contend with ThumbsUp

I would consider it an option Tom, you never know...could be the thing you've been waiting for Wink

P.s off the back of that you could fix mobiles and PC's as an in between thing Wink

Not stress free at all... I'd be panicking about the phone ringing all the time!

Plus the way I see it, half the places you turn up to won't have any faults viewable because they're specific, or it'll be someone with a 20 year old car which isn't OBD compliant, or they'll want abs or airbag faults done.

The other problem with working at peoples houses is that they like to be hospitable, and often get annoyed when I decline food/drink which again stresses me out lol. Did some decorating for a friend of my Nans earlier this week, in the end I had to accept the tea and dispose of it when she wasn't looking. Rolleyes lol

If I've learnt anything over the last few years, it's that nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Confused
Thanks given by:
You could always say you 'had one at the last call, thanks anyway' thats what i used to do Wink
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 11:31 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom if you can't do face to face you NEED to be able to do telephones, not everything can be done via email.

I bloody hate telephones but I've worked in a call centre environment for 4 years now even though my job is no longer telephone based I have to use the phone daily!

What's wrong with using a phone? You can sit on the toilet whilst on the phone, in your own home, with no-one able to see you.. it doesn't get much easier..

I can do face to face, I find it much easier than telephones. I know that won't make sense to most people lol. Problem is just initially getting to the face to face situation, if the Dominos guy was stood outside having a smoke or something, I'd be able to approach him, what I struggle with there is entering a strange building uninvited, and/or stopping someone from whatever they're doing to listen to me.

Problems with a phone are almost endless, it's a terrible comms device! (IMO of course lol).

-I have the choice not to answer it - don't have that choice if someones stood in front talking lol.
-I struggle to understand people, they struggle to understand me - I know I don't speak overly clearly and it's worse when I'm panicked. Because of that, information is almost always taken down wrong from a call. I also struggle to understand most accents over the phone, seems easier when you can lip read, don't understand that myself but I do know that's sort of specific to me.
-Its invasive - you wouldn't go up to someone and repeatedly poke them until they stop what they're doing like a phone call is essentially doing, feels extremely inconsiderate to me and I'm too British and polite. lol
-I don't know who or what will be on the other end, fear of the unknown I guess.
-It's instant - I tend to blank when asked a direct question (this part of the interview went badly as you can guess lol) but even face to face you can come back to a topic in 10 minutes time if you blanked earlier on, email is even better because you can re-read and adjust the reply as much as you like but on the phone it's quickly over and gone.
-Phone calls are bloody expensive. I know its not an issue for those of you with nice phones on contract but I'm on PAYG as I use it so rarely, homephone is also expensive during the week, free local weekends though I admit. Email and face to face are free, you're not pre-occupied with the price of the call trying to rush through.

There's probably a lot more...I really do hate the telephone... lmao

As for sitting on the toilet on the phone - never do that, people the other end can hear the echo, splashes and wind so are well aware of what you're doing. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Delivery driver? Dont have to spend much time near people and if you dont feel like it you can just claim they weren't in lol

But seriously, you're going to have to sort out either face to face or phone and stop finding excuses. Worst case if the phone rings and you dont want it you just don't answer. Thats it. Just swipe the little red button over, they'll either stop or leave a voicemail which you can then respond to in your own time or not or whatever. Just stop making "what ifs" and just go for it otherwise you'll never get started. Even if you do one diag session and find its not right then you can cross it off

I like many other people hate telephones but have asked in my annual appraisal for a desk phone so i can get used to them

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
pmsl about the toilet Wink although on reflection, its not that funny for you

I do understand though, i used to struggle with the phone but with a previous job i had to learn to deal with that as it was the nature of the job. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be for you but i can relate, albeit a bit differently.

What quals do you have, if you don't mind me asking Tom Wink

(13-08-2015, 12:02 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Delivery driver? Dont have to spend much time near people and if you dont feel like it you can just claim they weren't in lol

But seriously, you're going to have to sort out either face to face or phone and stop finding excuses. Worst case if the phone rings and you dont want it you just don't answer. Thats it. Just swipe the little red button over, they'll either stop or leave a voicemail which you can then respond to in your own time or not or whatever. Just stop making "what ifs" and just go for it otherwise you'll never get started. Even if you do one diag session and find its not right then you can cross it off

I like many other people hate telephones but have asked in my annual appraisal for a desk phone so i can get used to them

That could be tricky with the toilet issues mate, been there and done that....not great when you need to go
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 12:02 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Delivery driver? Dont have to spend much time near people and if you dont feel like it you can just claim they weren't in lol

Lol, sounds like my Yodel driver 'ah, looks like he's not in, I wont waste time knocking'... lol

I am open to LOCAL delivery driving. I spend an awful lot of time driving locally anyway, don't see it being much different delivering parcels at the same time. And as long as it's fairly local giving me the opportunity to nip home now and then should be ok, something like Hermes maybe where you just get given a shit load of parcels and deliver them in your own time. It obviously wouldn't work over a long distance though. I did wonder how far the local Tesco deliver, seeing as there's one large one 5 mins away and another large Tesco just 15mins away...but then I don't know if I'd be alright driving one of their lorries lol.

I don't often answer phone calls...just ask Rowell... lol It's not intentional, but I just panic when it rings and leave it most times, even if it's someone I know! There's not long enough on a ring to think/calm/relax enough to answer it. If someone leaves a voicemail I have to go through the hell of trying to phone voicemail (yes, I know it's not a real person), plus voicemail is expensive as well lol.

You are kind of right about the what if's, but experience just keeps proving how often the 'what if's' end up happening!

(13-08-2015, 12:02 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: pmsl about the toilet Wink although on reflection, its not that funny for you

I do understand though, i used to struggle with the phone but with a previous job i had to learn to deal with that as it was the nature of the job. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be for you but i can relate, albeit a bit differently.

What quals do you have, if you don't mind me asking Tom Wink

That could be tricky with the toilet issues mate, been there and done that....not great when you need to go

Fortunately I can see the funny side to the toilet issues, will admit it's not funny at the time though, genuinely thought I was dying shortly before my interview yesterday, makes me wonder where it all comes from as I'm sure more comes out than I put in! lol

As for quals, don't think I have any now lol? Had a reasonable set of GCSEs (4xA, 2xB, 2xC,1xD), but afaik they expire after 5 years? I also have a C&G cert in electrical installation, but never completed it as I'd need an apprenticeship. And a level 3 BTEC ND in motor vehicle maintenance and repair - which again is irrelevant without an apprenticeship to complete an NVQ to finish it off. I think it was you saying in the chatbox how my 'issues' were affecting my life...well, lack of quals is purely down to my own issues. Even that D in GSCE was because of a panic attack mid exam. Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Order a pizza then speak to the delivery driver?
Can order online nowadays.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Ironically I can't eat Dominos pizza...and I grudge paying ~£2 for supermarket pizza, sod paying their prices! lol
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 03:01 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Order a pizza then speak to the delivery driver?
Can order online nowadays.
Do that but order a portion of chicken strippers or a tub of Ben and jerrys, remember a 2 or £3 tip will go a long way to reminding said driver to speak to his boss! Just don't do it on a busy night like Tuesday, Friday or Saturday as he will not have time to stop and put across the message!
Thanks given by:
Inquire into the Hermes then, even if it's just an email it's getting the ball rolling. Just be doing something instead of letting time slip by

Thanks given by:
I didn't say you had to eat it. I know you don't really like pizza.

Speculate to accumulate n all that.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 04:57 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Inquire into the Hermes then, even if it's just an email it's getting the ball rolling. Just be doing something instead of letting time slip by

Yeah, I'm really trying to keep doing something rather than just let it slide. Smile

(13-08-2015, 06:10 PM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: I didn't say you had to eat it. I know you don't really like pizza.

Speculate to accumulate n all that.

Hmm, maybe I'm just too tight... Nearly fainted when I read about a £3 tip above... Confused lol
Thanks given by:
The tips make my day worthwhile bud as you don't get paid for wear and tear, just diesel @ 85p per delivery and an extra 20p per delivery for the roof sign and it all plays a part in paying for the running of 2 cars and 5 kids!
Thanks given by:
Utilise a skillset you already have and apply it to make some money through a channel that suits you.

Stuff applying for a job with the likes of hermes.
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2015, 07:19 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Utilise a skillset you already have and apply it to make some money

Toilet tissue tester?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motorsport/Automotive Engineering Job Hunt Kezzieboy 29 6,422 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3
  At Least i have my health... Ben Jay 40 6,861 01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Matt
  Puffin dies after wandering into sexual health clinic. Ruan 9 3,348 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Eeyore