Playing with my rear

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing with my rear
As the slightly amusing title suggests im looking athe the rear torsion bar again and need to make the rear rnd just a tad stiffer to reduce rub but need to pull on peoples wisdom and experience.

1. Rear end is a little bouncy. On a gti rear axel and arb (standard estate failed and cambered) with bilstein b4 rear dampers which are only a slight upgrade over standard. Would a set of gaz help stiffen shiz up?
2. Would i benifit from powerflex bumpstops? Currently 10mm off riding on them, but this 10mm difference is causing the scrub as when i fasten a spacer between the trailing arm and bump stop i no longer scrub. There is still travel with a spacer in place which i believe to be the bumps stop compressing.
3. Over large bumps ive got a beautiful knock from the rear which i think is the mounts. Are solid mounts any good considering these will be home made or stick to original bushes? (Never driven a solid mounted beam so anyone shed some light to how they feel please)
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
get some 21mm TBs. Its likely the original beam had these in and now you have a GTi one which has only 20mm TBs. They make a vast difference.

Bump stops are there for a reason, and its NOT for riding on permanently!

Solid mounts have lots of advantages but you need to make them well or buy them. However my OEM mounts have lasted 3 years of stick now! And still in great shape.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2015, 06:55 AM)Piggy Wrote: get some 21mm TBs. Its likely the original beam had these in and now you have a GTi one which has only 20mm TBs. They make a vast difference.

Solid mounts have lots of advantages but you need to make them well or buy them. However my OEM mounts have lasted 3 years of stick now! And still in great shape.
Did forget to mention bars and arb were transfered over from the old axel as did find these when i lowered the beam again.

How about gaz rear dampers? Will these aid in stiffening at all? Expensive but atm im considering anything.

Last restor will be hack the arches right out. Ditch the stretch and fit bolt on arches but really hate the look of them

(27-06-2015, 06:55 AM)Piggy Wrote: get some 21mm TBs. Its likely the original beam had these in and now you have a GTi one which has only 20mm TBs. They make a vast difference.

Did forget to mention bars and arb were transfered over from the old axel as did find these when i lowered the beam again.

How about gaz rear dampers? Will these aid in stiffening at all? Expensive but atm im considering anything.

Last restor will be hack the arches right out. Ditch the stretch and fit bolt on arches but really hate the look of them
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
Solid mounts have only one "advantage". I used the quotation marks as I prefer the way my 6 handles on rubber mounts. Fitting the solids quells the passive steer making the feel more manageable. What I find on the rubber mounts is if you hit a corner going to slow you don't load the rubber enough which allows them to move and makes the back end squirm. So I just hit hit the corner faster. The rubber mounts are better for tight hairpins and can feel dodgy on long sweepers if your not going fast enough. I've tried both and that's only my opinion. Depends on how you drive as to which you'll prefer. But if you want solids they are good at what they do and are cheaper than rubber mounts. Also if your worried they'll feel crashy and what not, they don't.

Gaz rear dampers are decent and will stiffen it up. You ever considered raising to -40mm and having a more practical car that actually handles well?

Gaz rear dampers are decent and will stiffen it up. You ever considered raising to -40mm and having a more practical car that actually handles well?

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl
Thanks given by: