clay bar

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clay bar
Hi all.
  First off I hope I`m posting in correct forum.   Has anyone used a clay bar on a pug? Secondly how do I use it, with water or cloths?  The bar has come in a kit with formulated car wash and wax.  Any advice would be good.  Will it bring up the dull white paintwork also.  
 I await in anticipation for your comments.                Cheers
Thanks given by:
Wash the car as normal
You then clay the car, but you need clay lube (This can be soapy water, but ideally a quick detailer)
You need the clay and the car to be as wet as possible, never ever use clay dry!
Once you've gone over the whole car, wash it again or rinse it, then dry it.

The car will feel alot more 'glass' like and will remove the rough feeling.

You will ideally also want an iron out product as well as a tar remover.

You then will need to add a polish, something like AutoGlym SRP is a cheap but good product, followed by wax.
Thanks given by:
Clay bar doesn't bring paint up it removes surface dirts that you cant get with washing like them annoying little tar bits. Basically the way I use it is wash car down. Dry car with shammy. Spray a little clay bar lube onto the paint and rub the clay bar lightly across the paintwork in a forward and back motion. No circular movements like polish. There shouldn't be any resistance when you slide the bar. If there is spray more lube. It takes me about 1 to 2 hours to clay a car. Then it will look mega horrid. At which point it needs polishing and waxing. Your choice on what with I guess.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Claying a car should take about 20-30 minutes, 1-2 hours what were you doing stopping for a tea break after each panel lol?
Thanks given by:
Thanks for advice to you all.  Will have a session as soon as the sun disappears.
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2015, 09:06 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Claying a car should take about 20-30 minutes, 1-2 hours what were you doing stopping for a tea break after each panel lol?

It usually takes me 20mins once its been done for the first time. My estate took me 1 1\2 to complete first clay though. It was filthy
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Yeah tbh mine usually takes smit 1-2 hours first time.
If your doing it in 20 minutes then you ain't doing it properly.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2015, 02:19 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Yeah tbh mine usually takes smit 1-2 hours first time.
If your doing it in 20 minutes then you ain't doing it properly.

I can understand the first time a car is clayed it will take slightly longer, however if it's taking you up to two hours to clay a 306, you've not quite learnt how to do it yet.

It's very very simple to clay a car, but I all all too often see people putting force on clay and it causing bad marring. A clay bar should not have any pressure put it on it, it just needs to glide along the paint.

A clay mitt or cloth is much better than using traditiional clay, I only use a clay bar for doing the wheels now as it gets in tighter places.

I can properly clay a medium size hatch, including glass and alloys in 45 minutes comfortably.
Thanks given by:
ive never done it and im scared to do it wrong... is there a good kit to start with?
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2015, 03:43 PM)Eeyore Wrote: ive never done it and im scared to do it wrong... is there a good kit to start with?

Its mega easy I can show you man.
Thanks given by:
(24-06-2015, 03:43 PM)Eeyore Wrote: ive never done it and im scared to do it wrong... is there a good kit to start with?

You won't do it wrong Sam.

The easiest thing is to buy a clay mitt like this:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/...-clay-mitt

Get this as lube too:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/...iler-500ml

and as it's on 3 for 2 at the moment why not something like this:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/...over-325ml

or some polish.

You literally wash the car as normal, leave it wet, the spray the lube onto the panel you want to clay, then glide the mit over the panel without putting pressure on it.. back and forward until you hear it go smooth (it'll sound like sand paper at first where the clay is gripping the foreign objects in the paint)

then once done just rinse the car off and dry it with a towel, the trick is to never dry a car with a bone dry drying towel - use the G3 spray as a drying aid.

I might get round to writing/photographing/filming some detailing guides one day if there's any call for it.
Thanks given by:
Used a G3 clay mitt myself for the first time at the weekend, did the whole car in about 15 mins! Just used cold water and a bit of QD for lube.

Must admit I had missed a few bits (probably 5 spots across the entire car) as it's hard to see being black and just sounding/feeling smooth obviously isn't perfect. Think I should have used some sort of tar remover as the bits missed were difficult to remove when I did find them before polishing.
Thanks given by:
YouTube ThumbsUp

Tis where I learnt
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  recommendations Clay bar please cully 12 2,453 24-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Last Post: samass
  clay bar W1ll 14 3,420 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Last Post: W1ll
Star clay bars 318d4n 8 1,671 13-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Just Sean