crank pulley/de air con and belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crank pulley/de air con and belt
hi dudes,

Just doing this job very soon..........pic is of the belt the car came with and still shows some memory even after been contained within the replacement belt wrapper sleeve in the back of the car, lots of heat cycles due to warm weather.

[Image: P1010020_zpswgdnpm53.jpg]

This belt ( dayco ) seemed to touch the spring tensioner allan bolt and squeak.

The new belt was fitted ( Unipart ) and of cause did the same thing, touched the allan bolt and squeaked.

After some time it was found to have "skipped" over a ridge outwards on the crank pulley, due to "misalignment" and all that flapping about on the a/c to crank pulley run. This caused lots of noise from the spring auto adjuster when cold but was not tooo noisy when hot.

The crank pulley that came with the car is shown with the Unipart belt fitted, with the auto adjust as it should be ( the holes align up for the locking pin tool ) and with the manual adjust jockey wheel showing some tightening adjustment left ( eccentric ).

[Image: P1010021_zpsmkqim1oq.jpg]

The crank pulley measures 148mm diameter on this face, I cant get to the rear face to measure diameter there. Gates info says it should be 161mm diameter at the back. The crank pulley is the same diameter across the drive face @ 148mm with no increase in diameter at the rear. I have also noticed an chunk missing from the rear "peak", probably broken off when the bod who did the cam belt hit the pulley with a hammer??. This will encourage belt squeak and flapping about  I would have  though??

Some cast in numbers are visible on this pulley so I hope someone can identify it please. The numbers on the rubber by the white marks shows 3553236....then a 17.  I will be back tomorrow with the cast in pulley numbers.....

[Image: P1010022_zpsp4amiess.jpg]

number stamped on outer metal ring : 92400
number cast in oblong on inner hub  : 2207?     maybe 22C7??
number cast on  inner hub : C15431 LS 2

The rubber vibration  damper is seen to be sticking out somewhat ( and at the rear of the pulley ) and is cracking. There is not much clearance at the back of the pulley and I suspect the rubber at the rear has been rubbing on the cam belt cover.

The Gates data and fault pics say this  pulley in need of renewal.

I have been trying to source a Lynx pulley but can get a Gates one locally. They make the belts etc so should be a reliable make.

I intend to try the "TOM" run at first in de air conning, and hope that there is no alternator slippage, but utilize the manual adjust jockey wheel to control any flapping about due to the divided "long" belt run.

Hopefully the crank pulley bolt will co operate and come out with no snags.

The gate list TVD1002 crank pulley as being correct, 161mm diameter at the back....add an A for the one with a new bolt, and a 1750 belt  for the standard fitting crank pulley( with a/c ) .

If the crank pulley in tom's pic is standard diameter ( 161mm ) then the belt will be 6pk1185.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=23735]

Please TOM could you confirm that the crank pulley in your pic is standard diameter of 161mm please??

the crank pulley in the pic above looks similar to the one on our car but is not identical....

so an interesting sunday morning.....

Thankfully the crank pulley bolt came out ok, was a bit worried at first but all the threads look ok.

The pulley cam off quite easily, some lube and a cuppa then gentle pursuation, wobbling bit by bit and lub then tap back home, it came off hassle free.

The timing belt looks ok but will make a distance piece so the crank can be rotated exposing the cam belt bit by bit, to be sure.

The crank pulley is the same diameter across the "drive face" and the missing chunk looks well polished!

There is evidence of the crank pulley "rubber" on the pulley inner face having worn a circular groove in the cam cover, but not tooo deep.  pics to follow...

the pic of the pulley in the Haynes manual for a 2l hdi shows a different cast on number to the pulley that has come off, and the gates info says the proper pulley is a different diamenter, so this engine may have had the wrong pulley fitted??

so, when measured on the bench, the dia was found to be 151mm across the drive width.

you can just make out the missing chunk at about 5 o clock.
[Image: P1010023_zpsl2uoaco8.jpg]

[Image: P1010024_zpsqkwocl36.jpg]

wear groove and some melted plastic of the  cam belt cover......will have a go at removing the lower cam belt cover for better look and inspection.....
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2015, 01:21 PM)pug306driver Wrote: hi dudes,
 Just doing this job very soon..........pic is of the belt the car came with and still shows some memory even after been contained within the replacement belt wrapper sleeve in the back of the car, lots of heat cycles due to warm weather.

[Image: P1010020_zpswgdnpm53.jpg]

This belt ( dayco ) seemed to touch the spring tensioner allan bolt and squeak.

The new belt was fitted ( Unipart ) and of cause did the same thing, touched the allan bolt and squeaked.

After some time it was found to have "skipped" over a ridge outwards on the crank pulley, due to "misalignment" and all that flapping about on the a/c to crank pulley run. This caused lots of noise from the spring auto adjuster when cold but was not tooo noisy when hot.

The crank pulley that came with the car is shown with the Unipart belt fitted, with the auto adjust as it should be ( the holes align up for the locking pin tool ) and with the manual adjust jockey wheel showing some tightening adjustment left ( eccentric ).

[Image: P1010021_zpsmkqim1oq.jpg]

The crank pulley measures 148mm diameter on this face, I cant get to the rear face to measure diameter there. Gates info says it should be 161mm diameter at the back. The crank pulley is the same diameter across the drive face @ 148mm with no increase in diameter at the rear. I have also noticed an chunk missing from the rear "peak", probably broken off when the bod who did the cam belt hit the pulley with a hammer??. This will encourage belt squeak and flapping about  I would have  though??

Some cast in numbers are visible on this pulley so I hope someone can identify it please. The numbers on the rubber by the white marks shows 3553236....then a 17.  I will be back tomorrow with the cast in pulley numbers.....

[Image: P1010022_zpsp4amiess.jpg]

number stamped on outer metal ring : 92400
number cast in oblong on inner hub  : 2207?     maybe 22C7??
number cast on  inner hub : C15431 LS 2

The rubber vibration  damper is seen to be sticking out somewhat ( and at the rear of the pulley ) and is cracking. There is not much clearance at the back of the pulley and I suspect the rubber at the rear has been rubbing on the cam belt cover.

The Gates data and fault pics say this  pulley in need of renewal.

I have been trying to source a Lynx pulley but can get a Gates one locally. They make the belts etc so should be a reliable make.

I intend to try the "TOM" run at first in de air conning, and hope that there is no alternator slippage, but utilize the manual adjust jockey wheel to control any flapping about due to the divided "long" belt run.

Hopefully the crank pulley bolt will co operate and come out with no snags.

The gate list TVD1002 crank pulley as being correct, 161mm diameter at the back....add an A for the one with a new bolt, and a 1750 belt  for the standard fitting crank pulley( with a/c ) .

If the crank pulley in tom's pic is standard diameter ( 161mm ) then the belt will be 6pk1185.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=23735]

Please TOM could you confirm that the crank pulley in your pic is standard diameter of 161mm please??

the crank pulley in the pic above looks similar to the one on our car but is not identical....

so an interesting sunday morning.....

Thankfully the crank pulley bolt came out ok, was a bit worried at first but all the threads look ok.

The pulley cam off quite easily, some lube and a cuppa then gentle pursuation, wobbling bit by bit and lub then tap back home, it came off hassle free.

The timing belt looks ok but will make a distance piece so the crank can be rotated exposing the cam belt bit by bit, to be sure.

The crank pulley is the same diameter across the "drive face" and the missing chunk looks well polished!

There is evidence of the crank pulley "rubber" on the pulley inner face having worn a circular groove in the cam cover, but not tooo deep.  pics to follow...

the pic of the pulley in the Haynes manual for a 2l hdi shows a different cast on number to the pulley that has come off, and the gates info says the proper pulley is a different diamenter, so this engine may have had the wrong pulley fitted??

so, when measured on the bench, the dia was found to be 151mm across the drive width.

you can just make out the missing chunk at about 5 o clock.
[Image: P1010023_zpsl2uoaco8.jpg]

[Image: P1010024_zpsqkwocl36.jpg]

wear groove and some melted plastic of the  cam belt cover......will have a go at removing the lower cam belt cover for better look and inspection.....

This saga continues......

Got a new gates pulley thru local and trusted motor factor, fitted, slight wobble but quit a lot of movement in the outer drive belt ring exposing a white nylon? washer come bush affair.

This movement towards the cam belt area was exposed due to finger and thumb grip of pulley and appling some force.

I have porriage for breakfast and am quite strong but bloody hell, this movement happens with virtually no effort.

Contacted gates, rep phones me and we chat.  Long and short he says if I'm worried ( which is why I complained ) I can swop.

Replacement pulley arrives today ( 30 minutes ago ).

Similar box with hologram seal intact ( as before ) .

Pulley in a seal plastic bag this time, rather than wrapped in a foam sheet.

Lady factor opens bag and immediately you can see the pulley is completely different!!

Gates ink stamp and numbers on the pulley this time, with a different design structure.

pictures of pulleys to follow.

im off home to fit and hopefully forget.

sorry admin, you can delete the repeated above section  as its at the very top and only repeats what already been written....
Thanks given by:
The difference in the pulleys is interesting. I looked up the pulley for my DW10 on ECP and it suggested one with a diameter of 162mm, and with a raised rim on one side.
I then looked up the pulley for an XUD engine and it was 156mm, with NO raised rim on one side.
Perhaps you have an XUD pulley on a DW10, or am I jumping to conclusions?
Thanks given by:
The belt jumped!! Blush

Anyways the pulley that the car came with is different form the s gates pulleys, and has a bigger offset from the cam drive sprocket, meaning the belt will align better now rather than touch the spring tensioner allan bolt, hence the squeak.

Pics below marked "gates" is the first pulley which arrived late last week, wobbled slightly, with the drive ring moving with finger and thumb pressure.

The pics marked R is the exchanged replacement pulley, marked with A GATES INK STAMP AND PART NUMBER.

The replacement  pulley is  totally different from the suspect one!

the r pulley is clearly totally different and a ""gates" product, unlike the other one.

the rear groove "land" and keyway are different.

will fit today ( no time left yesterday ) and report back

the gates rep said that it was probably a manufacturers mix up??

have sent picsd to him as well as gates team for their feedback.

I suspect that the gates pulley was taken out of the box by some toe rag somewhere along the distribution line and a cheap copy placed inside the box, as the gates seal was intact.  I do not suspect the local motor factor of anything dodgy, as the pulley came from a red Italian sports car make named supplier near the mersey. will try and upload pics via photobucket which is being naughty at the moment.

gates pulley suspect rear[Image: gates%20pulley%20inner_zpsvqtglv3r.jpg]

gates pulley suspect front
[Image: gates%20pulley%20outer_zpszxybtdrj.jpg]
gates pulley label[Image: gates%20side%20label_zpsfbnppjh5.jpg]

gates pulley box[Image: gates%20top%20label%20box_zpsqgfl5yvz.jpg]

r pulley label[Image: rpulley%20label_zpsux3panxr.jpg]

r pulley box
[Image: rpulley%20box%20number_zps4ofg7iia.jpg]
r pulley rear[Image: rpulley%20groove_zpsdlmltvkx.jpg]

r pulley front[Image: rpulley%20front_zpshxytorsr.jpg]
Thanks given by:
first pulley is junk ive had a simaular experince went through two then ended up buying a lynx pulley

[Image: Photo0307.jpg]

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
ok tidied up pics........yes i remember seeing your pic of the crap pulley......white stuff could well be the white plastic ( nylon ) washer affair coming out.

thanks for the heads up dudes.

DONT BUY STUFF OFF EBAY its a ripoff merchants dream!!

as to the pulley that the car came with, it must be the wrong one for the car as offset is incorrect? and it is damaged, the missing chunk of the inner drive peak which is well polished, probably helping all the belt flapping about on the run between the a/con and crank pulleys.

interestingly the gates tech site says the pulley must not be run without a belt fitted, and the bolt torqued up in 3 stages, a third at a time.
Thanks given by:
the engine must not be run without a pulley fitted or loose crank bolt Wink

unsure what he ment about without a belt ??

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Buying stuff from ebay is fine as long as you engage your brain first, it's exactly the same as buying anywhere else - if it's ridiculously cheap then it will be ridiculously crap. Glad you got it all sorted out ok without any serious dramas, good job you spotted it in time really.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crank pulley compatibility Dreijers 0 1,103 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Dreijers
  Pulley Noise, Belt Slipping Squealing sometimes when steering ollieh17 1 1,044 15-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Middle box delete and crank pulley allye 27 6,223 29-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Last Post: allye