gas soldering iron

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas soldering iron
has anyone got a gas soldering iron and if so what's your opinion compared to a normal soldering iron? cheers
Thanks given by:
I have and its handy as anything when your trying to solder in a car with no electric Tongue

IMO it heats up faster than an electric one and works great with the added bonus of no wires.................what more is there to know?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I've got this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dremel-Multi-T...7398wt_802

and it's awesome, wouldn't use anything else. Did have a cheaper Draper one before this (the one you can get in Halfords) and although good, the tip has worn away to almost nothing now... Sure you can replace them though.
Thanks given by:
as mark said, heat up quicker, havent got the hassle of a wire wrapping around your arms etc.. lol
Thanks given by:
I've got two and their great. Get through a fair bit of lighter fluid but we get it cheap from RS so not too bad!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
sorry .... RS ??
Thanks given by:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

We make massive orders so get stuff cheap but not sure what their prices are like for small orders. Either way, they sell basically everything you could ever need electrical related!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
We get com rices at rs if not they are feckin expensive otherwise!! Try farnell they are generally cheaper to the public
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
got an iroda solderpro70 from maplin for £30, its equivalent to a 70 watt iron and won't make ignition wire soldering look like pigeon shit. came with heat gun, blow torch, hot knife and soldering attachments. once fully filled it lasts quite a while too. electric free soldering FTW Big Grin
Thanks given by:
well i have ordered the dremel versatip ...brand new should be on my doorstep tomorrow or wednesday !! im happy !!
Thanks given by:
I have an RS one, but it dosent last very long thats the issue, if your using its every 30 seconds odd, you cant keep turning it off, but you also cant leave it on, if you get me. I have 50W electric one which are like £5 off the bay,, portability though gas ones cant fault.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
not allowed to use a gas soldering iorn in work its against their hot work policy
not allowed to use any flames in any hospital area without a hot work permit
to many flamable patiants around

only allowed electric or battery soldering iorns
Thanks given by:
cully Wrote:not allowed to use a gas soldering iorn in work its against their hot work policy
not allowed to use any flames in any hospital area without a hot work permit
to many flamable patiants around

only allowed electric or battery soldering iorns

lol at the patients bit!

Also, is a normal soldering iron not just as hot? (which is kinda the point is it not.....) just wondering how it makes any difference what is making it hot?! stupid hospital work rules, lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
its the flame bit they are avoiding as patiants on oxygen tend to burn quite well
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:I've got two and their great. Get through a fair bit of lighter fluid but we get it cheap from RS so not too bad!

What you talking about. Neither of the bloody things work properly...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
1 of them does!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
The one that kept cutting out when we tried to use it last time? Confusedhhh:
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Nope fine now. Used it plenty of times and it's fine. Except for when I burnt a hole in a carpet. It stunk a bit!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
i use one for work
only a cheep aldi one (just as good as a snap-on my boss has)!
Thanks given by: