What next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What next?
So took the expansion tank off today and drained it all out. Was filled with crap. All the pipes seem to have clean coolant running through it apart from 1 the pipe pictured is lined with all the oil that was in the tank. What's that pipe for? It's the one the runs from the bottom of the expansion tank then behind the o/s light to the back of the engine. 

I drained it all out and cleaned the tank up but it's come back again. Not as thick but there's still bits of oil floating around. 

Getting to the point where I'm considering an engine swap

[attachment=23693]

[attachment=23694]
Thanks given by:
To be honest mate, every XUD I've had has had a leaky HG, it's common. Either live with it or fit a new HG, no need for an engine swap, do the cambelt as well.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2015, 02:40 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: To be honest mate, every XUD I've had has had a leaky HG, it's common. Either live with it or fit a new HG, no need for an engine swap, do the cambelt as well.

So you think the HG could be leaking? How could I get the oil out that hose? 
Thanks given by:
If you've got oil in the coolant it can't be anything else mate, it'll be a leak between an oil gallery and a water channel if there's no pressurising or overheating, or there's been a leak that's been fixed but the pipe hasn't been cleaned out. The only way to get the oil out would be to get the hose off and wash it out, but if it's still leaking it'll just gunk up again.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2015, 03:11 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: If you've got oil in the coolant it can't be anything else mate

Of course it can.

Heat exchanger for one..
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2015, 03:22 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(09-06-2015, 03:11 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: If you've got oil in the coolant it can't be anything else mate

Of course it can.

Heat exchanger for one..

Good point, didn't think of that. How old is the rad?
Thanks given by:
Heat exchanger has been replaced recently. Really struggling to diagnose it to be honest 
Thanks given by:
Shit in your carburettor.

Who's done that?
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2015, 03:44 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Shit in your carburettor.

Who's done that?

Very helpful. You posted that there could be other reasons, care to venture one?
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2015, 03:54 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:

Who's done that?

Very helpful. You posted that there could be other reasons, care to venture one?

I did, it could be the heat exchanger, if Nathan fitted a used one it's likely to be a similar age to the one that failed so there is no reason why that one wouldn't fail too.

You just seemed to post incorrect information leading him to think it could only be the HG which is wrong.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2015, 04:00 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(09-06-2015, 03:54 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:

Who's done that?

I did, it could be the heat exchanger, if Nathan fitted a used one it's likely to be a similar age to the one that failed so there is no reason why that one wouldn't fail too.

You just seemed to post incorrect information leading him to think it could only be the HG which is wrong.

You said heat exchanger for one, that implies there's more?
Thanks given by:
I'll have to try find another heat exchanger. Does anyone know where that pipe goes to? 
Thanks given by:
Try and give it a really good flush out. Like put a rad flush in it drive it for a day or so then drop it out and refill. When its drained try and run some water through it to help clear it out. Poss do it a couple of times. Thats what i would suggest to start with as its cheap and easy
Thanks given by:
dishwasher tablet springs to mind to help flush if you don't have anything else.
Thanks given by:
Dishwasher tablet for 2 goes, then flush a few times - always worked well for me.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2015, 09:58 AM)Ruan Wrote: Dishwasher tablet for 2 goes, then flush a few times - always worked well for me.

So pop a dishwasher tablet in the expansion tank. Let the engine run to circulate then drain the system? 
Thanks given by:
Yeah second the dishwasher tablet. Buy ones that crumble. Crumble one in. Bleed system up. Run up to temp then drain. May have to do a couple of times.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Just make sure you do a proper job of bleeding the system.

Plenty of XUD's have gone pop because the system wasn't bled right, and air bubble formed and the HG got cooked.
Thanks given by:
This ^^ Always ensure you pressure bleed the system, i.e. top up header tank to brim, open each bleed point working upwards, last being the heater matrix one, place hand over tank, get pipe that connects to side of header tank where the cap goes, and blow until the stream of water becomes solid with no air bubbles.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Awesome thanks guys I'll have to try it out 
Thanks given by: