need a helping hand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need a helping hand
can you lads help me, on how to draft up a covering letter and up date my cv for this job
https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/...261&GQId=0

now its a change of career to me, as I have stacks of experience in retail.
but I do have two metro builds on my side, how can I work that into my cv and cover letter for this job?
any great help would be gladly rewarded with rep and even beer tokens if I get a look in.  
Thanks given by:
What's the job?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2015, 07:33 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: What's the job?

the job is Manufacturing, so building cars, i could be putting odds and sods on to a shell or even making a shell. 
Thanks given by:
I has a metro, it was red now its blue, i change everything including underseal. I put a huger engine into it to make it betta..

Along those lines? :p
Thanks given by:
Is it production line work? If it is, they don't really give a crap about anything other than you being capable of following a set process to complete a task. 
Thanks given by:
Yeah, as above tbh mate, i put a lot of work into rehashing my cv for mechanics only to find nobody really cared.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-06-2015, 05:26 AM)Poodle Wrote: Yeah, as above tbh mate, i put a lot of work into rehashing my cv for mechanics only to find nobody really cared.

well, last night I reworked my cv, looked at a few online, and I found what the problems are, I have had too much shite on the personal profile. I reworked it, and banged it in, just have to wait and see,
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, good luck with it. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-06-2015, 04:30 PM)Poodle Wrote: Fair enough, good luck with it. Smile

cheers, i am going to need it!
Thanks given by: swampy
(06-06-2015, 07:16 PM)procta Wrote:
(06-06-2015, 04:30 PM)Poodle Wrote: Fair enough, good luck with it. Smile

cheers, i am going to need it!

Not really. You'd be suprised the lack of experience/knowledge you need to work on a production line. Mainly because you'll never actually be doing anything for longer than a couple of minutes, which is pretty easy (and extremely boring) stuff tbf
Thanks given by:
Yeah, easier than working retail and they know it. Or at least it is if you're not one of the mongs that manages to spend an entire 8 hour shift putting out 1 cage and serving 10 customers. lol
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
retail sucks on so many levels, ive been doing it since i left school back 1999, started as a shelf stacker now up to management level, and thats with 3 different retail companys.

my advice would be get out of retail as soon as you can, its soul sucking with crap pay (no matter what level you are at), you get shit from the staff above and below you, im kind of stuck with it as its all ive done so ive got no experience with anything else and with me being in my 30's employers dont want to take a chance.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2015, 09:51 AM)tsotd Wrote: retail sucks on so many levels, ive been doing it since i left school back 1999, started as a shelf stacker now up to management level, and thats with 3 different retail companys.

my advice would be get out of retail as soon as you can, its soul sucking with crap pay (no matter what level you are at), you get shit from the staff above and below you, im kind of stuck with it as its all ive done so ive got no experience with anything else and with me being in my 30's employers dont want to take a chance.

I felt the same so i left retail when i was 21 and will never go back. Being a store manager has it's perks though; can employ decent staff to make your job easier, come and go as you please, run the store how you would like to etc but at the end of the day it's still shit lol

You can easily get a job in other customer service areas like call centre's etc which pay more than most retail jobs. 

Never too old to try something new, just keep applying and ask for feedback about where you went wrong so you can be better next time
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2015, 09:51 AM)tsotd Wrote: retail sucks on so many levels, ive been doing it since i left school back 1999, started as a shelf stacker now up to management level, and thats with 3 different retail companys.

Don't you belive it mate, i managed to land a mechanics job two years ago with no previous experience or qualifications, and i'm 29. Took some serious doing, mind you, but was totally worth it. Just got to be willing to go back to minimum wage for a short while and do shit jobs to start with. I was an mot assistant to begin with - "sidelights... headlights... nearside indicator... washers...." - fascinating stuff lol. I stuck with it and now they're using me as a full time mechanic, putting me through my nvqs and other courses.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
update, they are sent me two online tests, which sounds ok to me, so my CV or something must have passed!
where I am now, there is no movement for anyone for nearly 5 years, and the way things are going, I am not sure if i will have a job there in the distant future, as there is more to come sadly with pay offs, We are losing our music and video desk, and one lad i trained in, has took his lot, been with the company 5 years, and only got 500 quid for redundancy!
Thanks given by:
What kind of tests are they? JLR have time based math/number patterns tests online which are pretty easy
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2015, 03:45 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: What kind of tests are they? JLR have time based math/number patterns tests online which are pretty easy

they are  Reading Comprehension test and a Mechanical Comprehension test
Thanks given by:
well that's that, failed their two tests. back to square one sadly.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear, mate. What kind of questions did they give you? 
Thanks given by:
Bummer Sad give us a bit more info on these tests. Seems a very black and white arbitrary way of picking potential employees..
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
Mate sorry to hear it Sad get onto cv library and get looking. Try and sign up with a recruitment company as thats how I got my job, it helps they try and fight your corner for you to get employed too
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
^ Steve speaks wisely. Exactly the way i obtained my job.
Resident cat lover 
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2015, 07:27 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Mate sorry to hear it Sad get onto cv library and get looking. Try and sign up with a recruitment company as thats how I got my job, it helps they try and fight your corner for you to get employed too

As a manager involved with hiring, recrtuitment agencies frustrate me. Since they get paid per candidate hire, they really do channel every type of shit candidate at you. Have to wade through dozens of CVs to weed out the gems in the dross, even more so as the EU grows and everyone wants a job in the UK. Nospeak

the last guy I hired was a real gem, buried knee deep as a wild card in a 20 page list of candidates. 2 years later he's proving me right.

I wouldn't dissuade yourself from doing it, but make yourself stand out as you'll most likely appear as an abridged paragraph in a booklet to potential employers.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
With the job Procta applied for, it just depends on whether you do well on the tests or not. If you do, you'll get through to proper interview stages.

I personally think it's a good way of doing it, rather than wasting hundreds of staff hours (and applicants' time) interviewing candidates who clearly will never be given the job.

With JLR you have the online tests, pass them and you get invited to the first stage of practical assessments, pass them and you finally get a proper formal interview with drugs screening.

Just keep applying for the same job. If you're allowed to re apply straight away then do it and you can always do better as you're now prepared for what tests they'll give you.

My mate got rejected by JLR 2/3 times but is now working for them, so it's worth perservering.
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2015, 06:17 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Sorry to hear, mate. What kind of questions did they give you? 

i couldnt tell you on the questions,  
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TerraClean - Anyone have first hand experience? Ben 22 6,538 27-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Last Post: anto
  Left hand drive 205 rallye :) Sian 6 2,197 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Last Post: puglove
  need a hand tomorrow Just Sean 8 2,683 23-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Just Sean