Spinning TRE ball joint.....HELP!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinning TRE ball joint.....HELP!!
samass Wrote:placcy bag it to stop the rain getting in. hot air gun will do the trick, just protect the shaft so that doesnt heat up too

Meh...Im not going outside again tonight, just showered and got my dirty/wet clothes in the wash.....

How can I protect the shaft? Confusedhock:

Also, do I have to be careful of heating up the bearing? Surely that wouldn't be good for it?
Thanks given by:
Tom, havent read this properly, but you were trying to replace the driveshaft? Why are you trying to take the TRE off? all you need to do is pop the bottom ball join off and then just swing the hub/strut with the TRE still on...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
gotta make sure you wrap up, might get a disease Wink

JK, i used a socket, just enough to deflect the hot air. wouldn't worry bout the bearing, you wont get it hot enough to wreck it. might be worth greasing it up again after if you an tho, just to be safe.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:Tom, havent read this properly, but you were trying to replace the driveshaft? Why are you trying to take the TRE off? all you need to do is pop the bottom ball join off and then just swing the hub/strut with the TRE still on...

You can't move the strut anywhere near enough with the TRE still on....I tried.....
Thanks given by:
you can if the shaft is out at the hub end, but that stuck, and youd already got the tre spinning, so whatever lol

Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
Connor Wrote:Tom, havent read this properly, but you were trying to replace the driveshaft? Why are you trying to take the TRE off? all you need to do is pop the bottom ball join off and then just swing the hub/strut with the TRE still on...

You can't move the strut anywhere near enough with the TRE still on....I tried.....
You can on a 306, I did it earlier :dance:
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:You can't move the strut anywhere near enough with the TRE still on....I tried.....
You can on a 306, I did it earlier :dance:

Probably...but due to the lack of PAS on this, the tre is like halfway up the strut....can't even pop the bottom ball joint off with the TRE left on! Doh
Thanks given by:
I bet i could...
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:I bet i could...

You probably could.....but I couldn't. Tongue
Thanks given by:
For f*ck sake.....car fell off the stands last night, think I should probably give up tbh. :/
[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Good job you weren't under it pal!
Has it done any damage?
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Shit, how did it manage to fall off though? Lol.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:You can on a 306, I did it earlier :dance:
[/quote]

Yes you did, we had slight leakage though lmao
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:Shit, how did it manage to fall off though? Lol.

Probably the wind, was right windy last night, or the stand sunk into the ground at one end.

Take the disc and caliper off, give yourself some more room.
Thanks given by:
unlucky dude, get a sledge on that driveshaft while it's on the ground lol

looks like theres just enough room to get a scissor jack under it?

Thanks given by:
Low entry jack FTW!! Got it up eay enough and the stand bent 'some peice of metal' underneath which JUST saved the brake lines from being broken lol. I'll stick up a pic of the stand in situ lol....gimme a minute....
Thanks given by:
Can pic the corner of one of those up if you try, I did it with the back of my old one.
Thanks given by:
[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Probably the wind, was right windy last night, or the stand sunk into the ground at one end.

Yup both.

The thing is though, this is how I was hoping to leave the golf while I fix it.....definitely gotta rethink that now! :o

Update on this, I've just broken a bearing puller trying to get this bastard out! Tried heat as well and still nothing.

Caliper and disc are off for the puller so now just looking for a complete strut to swap on. f*cking french shit....not I remember why I went German! Bolts dont snap and round so easy, everything on the golf is clean whereas its covered in oil and grease on the pug and everythings seized to f*ck on here too.
Thanks given by:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Can pic the corner of one of those up if you try, I did it with the back of my old one.

Tbh you'd probably break it trying to pick it up.....I gently leant on the wing yesterday to sit down (getting old, need something to lean on lol) and the whole wing pushed in. lol No wonder pugs dent so bloody easily, they're made of tin foil, I often lean on the golf wing with no problem. :?
Thanks given by:
lol

so, you kept a car on axle stands over night, in the wind and rain, on sand/slush and now let me get this right, you're surprised this fell over?! lmao
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:lol

so, you kept a car on axle stands over night, in the wind and rain, on sand/slush and now let me get this right, you're surprised this fell over?! lmao

What other choice did I have though? :roll:
Thanks given by:
Well you were stupid for having the stand so high on an uneven surface... probably have been alright if you didnt jack it up so high or had it on solid ground
Thanks given by:
I dont have solid ground to use unfortunately.......trying to get the 'rents to have a concrete driveway lol!!

And I had to get it high to get under there.....

It's been alright like that before with the nice heavy golf giving it some downforce.....and I did rock the pug before I left it and it seemed fine lol...obviously it wasn't. But meh, thats not really an issue now.
Thanks given by:
Iirc Tom's driveway is sloped so it was probably high to keep the car level and less likely to erm...fall off the stands lmao
Thanks given by:
Haha, well that, and high to drain all the gearbox oil out.....with the peices of metal too. lol
Thanks given by:
Should stick a nice lump of flat wood under it Wink if you haven't got solid ground... Make some Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
That might work on grass but the wood just slips on gravel, I've tried. Sad
Thanks given by:
Paving slab?
Thanks given by:
bigcheez2k3 Wrote:Paving slab?

Yeah that might work. I've only got one spare though lol.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ball joint/ Hub to strut pinch bolts Uberderv 7 2,392 04-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  fitting a front suspension ball joint impotentials 3 2,014 29-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Bottom ball joint sizes Xsikid 4 1,631 04-05-2016, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Paul_13