Engine cutting out 306 hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine cutting out 306 hdi
I have changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the fuel strainer in the tank. I could hear the bubbles in the tank clearing out. This stopped the car having fuel blockage problems.

But now when driving on hills mainly but now started on flat roads the car just cut off and dies. It will start right away sometimes then other times leave for 10 or 20 seconds. There diesel in the tank I know I've looked inside the fuel tank and the gauge works fine.

The pump makes a thump noise in tank and then primes. I check my other 306 to see if it sounds the same.

I put my foot down plenty of power more now since I've done both filters. But now it's cutting out more now the only things I can think of is the pump in the tank going due to fuel strainer problem before or engine pump?
Thanks given by:
Removed your duplicate thread for you. Smile

I'm no expert (and i'm sure someone will be along shortly to potentially make me look a bit silly Wink ), but I'm thinking lift pump in the tank?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds a lot like it tbh, maybe worth taking it out and having a look to see if it's got any blockages in the plastic pump housing bit. Failing that, sounds like a new pump.

Or, how much fuel do you have in exactly? I found mine cut out sometimes with anything less than 1/4 of a tank, especially after railing a roundabout and ragging it up a hill.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-06-2015, 09:47 PM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds a lot like it tbh, maybe worth taking it out and having a look to see if it's got any blockages in the plastic pump housing bit. Failing that, sounds like a new pump.

Or, how much fuel do you have in exactly? I found mine cut out sometimes with anything less than 1/4 of a tank, especially after railing a roundabout and ragging it up a hill.

I cleaned out the hole housing on the fuel pump in the tank along with the strainer. I will take it out again tomorrow to see if its picked up anymore crap after being blocked. It may have collected more after I cleaned the strainer out with not being able to catch all the rest.

The pump in the tank does sound like it could be the problem.

Can you tell when the pump in the engine going apart from bits in the fuel filter?

Is there away to test these fuel pumps or just a pressure test only?
Thanks given by:
No real way of testing it without getting it on a flow bench.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Do the scan tools read the 2 fuel pump pressures and to see there working correctly?
Thanks given by:
No, there's no monitoring of the low pressure pump, when the LP pump starts failing it'll cause the HP pump to lose pressure since it can't supply the fuel fast enough to it - an LP pump failure can look like a HP pump failure.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(03-06-2015, 11:17 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote:
(03-06-2015, 09:47 PM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds a lot like it tbh, maybe worth taking it out and having a look to see if it's got any blockages in the plastic pump housing bit. Failing that, sounds like a new pump.

I cleaned out the hole housing on the fuel pump in the tank along with the strainer. I will take it out again tomorrow to see if its picked up anymore crap after being blocked. It may have collected more after I cleaned the strainer out with not being able to catch all the rest.

The pump in the tank does sound like it could be the problem.

Can you tell when the pump in the engine going apart from bits in the fuel filter?

Is there away to test these fuel pumps or just a pressure test only?

I've just taken the lp fuel pump out of the tank again. There was just a few bits in the housing so cleaned it out again. But nothing which would cause blockages. 

I have 2 options left I think.

I have to take the other lp fuel pump out of the tank on my other 306 hdi and do a test.

Then if this does not change the problem a fuel pressure test will be needed on the hp pump and any other parts.
Thanks given by:
The 2 lp fuel pumps look the same apart from the numbers on the top and green and blue plastic labels both are vdo.

Will they both work the same or they different lp pumps?

There one 306 hdi 1999 and other 306 hdi 2000

[Image: 11401047_10155684902315790_6070355215319656724_n.jpg]

[Image: 11412298_10155684902575790_4086574402176886092_n.jpg]

[Image: 11390178_10155684902420790_7708125934357931669_n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've swapped the lp pump over now they look the same just the plastic fuel pipe different colour.

I've been for a small drive it smokes alittle when the turbo comes on black. It stopped doing this along time ago but it might be running ok now. I do a test driving in later on today when the traffic quiet on the roads.
Thanks given by:
The pumps are interchangeable, as you've discovered. Sounds like you've worked it out for yourself tbh, keep doing what you're doing lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(04-06-2015, 05:27 PM)Poodle Wrote: The pumps are interchangeable, as you've discovered. Sounds like you've worked it out for yourself tbh, keep doing what you're doing lol.

I thought I may as well give it a try lol

I took the car for a 60 miles trip on the known hills and roads where the car cuts out. The car was fine no problems since I changed the lp fuel pump over.

The car now has lots of POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I think over time the strainer been getting blocked more and more and the power was going down slowly. Then due to being blocked it damaged the lp fuel pump.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's most likely the cause. New lift pump time then!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2015, 11:28 AM)Poodle Wrote: Yeah, that's most likely the cause. New lift pump time then!

I've done 120 miles since and everything running like new now.

So it will be lp fuel pump time so I can put a new one in the 306 hdi I drive now. Then put back the other lp fuel pump back in my spare 306 hdi to keep them both running.
Thanks given by: