SRowells Black Rallye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRowells Black Rallye
Ooooohh, that makes more sense. I was huh-derping trying to work out why it might have a HDi crank, thought maybe it was something to do with 2.1 conversion.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-08-2017, 08:26 AM)Stef205 Wrote: the ttv flywheel uses m8x1.25 clutch bolts not m7 like standard.

thanks for clearing that up!
Thanks given by:
Update time.

So the first thing that happened was I was sick of the cobra buckets. I sat in steves corbeaus and they were a lot comfier so I got onto a forum member who works there for some ace mates rates. Seats arrived along with a tow strap. Fitted those one day and now theyre comfy. Also saved some weight but I fear ive lost the numbers. I think it was about 13kg once the frames were out.

Dad also managed to smash one of the rear lights when he forgot he had panniers on his new bike. I replaced that.

Toms306 came over (yes he still exists) and we checked the car over for the chistmas meet. Replaced a bulb that was out at the back. Small coolant leak from the lower thermostat pipe. Light white smoke from the rocker cover breather (possibly blow by) and some white smoke from the exhaust manifold which hasnt happened since. Possibly just water moving off as it had been sat for a while and we had held it at 3k for 5 minutes trying to jump the range rover.

Christmas meet ready! Ive already done the 155 miles to warwick where im working at the moment.
Thanks given by:
best update this.

So it made the christmas meet and all was well there. We had some great drives and great banter.

Today it passed its MOT with an advisory for surface rust on the rear discs, caused by it being sat for the past few months. Also the battery is flat, probably dead so will see how that goes. the second and final advisory was for the oil leak so thats going to need some investigation.

Ive got spring action day tickets and a small amount of track time just to check it over before we head off to the nurburg ring!
Thanks given by:
update!

Its vaguely clean and ready for the nurburg ring. Its been with Carl Chambers for two weeks getting sorted out.

The oil leak from french car show was the rear main oil seal. It wasnt seated correctly and the fly had worn through it and split it. Box and fly pressure washed and refitted with a new one. No more oil leaks!

At the same time a xsara ph2 2.6 steering rack was fitted. You can go round roundabouts with quarter turn now but it does seem to be pulling all over the place. Not sure whats going on. Sometimes its noticeable sometimes its not.

It had replacement calipers from dans 306 as they had seized. New pads in as well which seem to be cleaning up the discs nicely. Handbrake is now where it should be.

The fuel lines had perished despite me being the right stuff. Looks like I had done them up too tight and crushed the plastic elbows on the drivers side of the bay. These have now been replaced and its fueling properly.

The walbro pump i fitted wasnt sealed properly at the bottom which caused some strange fuel issues. A standard one has now been fitted.

Spare wheel cage now fitted so the wheel isnt just lying around in the car with me.

Oil breather now goes into a rudimentary oil bottle which has stopped the fumes coming into the cabin.

Accelerator cable has been cut and rerouted. Throttle linkage has been flipped on the bodies so its a lot tidier now.

Now just to clean the inside, pack, final clean and off to the nurburg ring we go! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Even with a standard rack & standard 195's I find the 306 is prone to 'wander' due to imperfections in the road surface.  Ruts created by lorries are particularly noticeable but sometimes it's from something I can't even see.  Other cars I've driven don't seem to be quite so dramatically affected.

In the past I've convinced myself that something like a track rod end had play in it but whenever I've checked everything's good n tight.

I guess a fast rack might make that kind of thing even more noticeable, esp on lower profile tyres?
Thanks given by:
Update sounds good, where did you get the xsara rack from Sam?
Thanks given by:
Sam if you have that ATB fitted get the tracking checked as it will pull like hell on and off the power if the tracking is slightly out

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
its on 50s so not partcularly radical profile change.

xsara rack was from the breakers in thetford. They come up now and again

its not and off the power. Its just on any turn at constant speed.
Thanks given by:
Assume you had wheel alignment done after rack change
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Does sound like classic alignment issues, try driving something new and German before saying these pull as standard. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Get it tracked properly with decent equipment no car should pull.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
So its been forever since and update but in reality nothing has really changed. Ive done 300+ miles in it this week to get to London and back. Its been horrible driving conditions and its been spinning up in the wet and one terrifying understeer moment.

Still smells super fuelly both inside the cabin and outside so think Ill have to get it mapped again.

In terms of future plans... think I just need to wait until the summer and get some track time! Also euro trip 2019 should be good!
Thanks given by:
You need to post more regular updates ....you're pushing toward 100,000 views on this thread! Even for Youtube that's a good count!!!

Are you smelling raw fuel or a rich exhaust?
Thanks given by:
Rich exhaust. You wouldn't want to be behind it! People have been on meets and get a headache. I get a headache driving it as well so don't have the fan on so the cabin is more sealed.
Thanks given by:
Havent updated this for a while! We obviously went on the eurotrip and are planning to go and do another but not sure when.

The car has sat on the drive without the cover as its been covered in dust. The fuel lines now need to be replaced before it can be taxed and motd. Insurance has also ran out and I wont be renewing with flux who wanted £809!

Not any more mods planned. Just fix and get on the road. Then probably pulling off some arch liners and doing some preventative restoration on it.
Thanks given by:
Nice to hear you still have the car. Hopefully you find the time, energy & motivation to get it sorted. Getting anything done at a garage is tricky at the moment. Sad
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boring Black Rallye wainwrightj 57 19,796 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  SRowells 3D Printed Cup Holders Eeyore 17 5,723 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  SRowells Diablo 1.8 - Jenvey 45s & OMEX600 Eeyore 1,246 366,764 26-12-2015, 12:56 AM
Last Post: procta