Removing headset (is nothing ever easy)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing headset (is nothing ever easy)
I thought i'd tackle the nice easy job of finding out why one of my speakers isn't working, and typically, the bloody headunit won't budge.

Both removal keys lock into place and the right side starts to move but the left does not budge one iota. It must not be releasing the catch or something, but without being able to see in there it's impossible to see what's going on.

Frustrating is not the word, anyone got any tips? I've got two sets of removal keys and both have the same issue, also tried doubling them up on one side but still the same.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
In the old days you could put a finger in the tape deck and pull it out... lol

Now you're buggered really. Small thin screwdriver or knife could help release the tab. Or as a last resort can you get behind it by removing something else? I've had to pop the clocks out to remove a 306 one before. Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Is it an aftermarket stereo?
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2015, 04:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: In the old days you could put a finger in the tape deck and pull it out... lol

Now you're buggered really.  Small thin screwdriver or knife could help release the tab.  Or as a last resort can you get behind it by removing something else?  I've had to pop the clocks out to remove a 306 one before. Dodgy

screw a 4" wood screw into the CD slot should be able to pull it out then Tom

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
(31-05-2015, 04:13 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Is it an aftermarket stereo?

Yeah aftermarket, on a Type R though.
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Ep3?

Just take out the gearstick surround and take out the whole fascia, it's easy enough apart from the flimsy tabs on the gear surround! I think the stereo might be screwed in from the side in its own harness.
Can't 100% remember
Thanks given by:
Yeah ep3. I put the head unit in, had to put an adapter fascia in as it still had the OE head unit. You're right it's not a hard job, bit of a pain though.

The original head unit was screwed in from each side into the harness but IIRC the aftermarket one was not.
Serious.
Thanks given by:
Generally if cars have a harness, even an aftermarket stereo would screw into it as a cage wouldnt fit. In my experience anyway. 
I gutted an interior of an ep2 to make it an ep3 replica a couple of year back lol
Thanks given by: