Effects of a shagged ream beam?

Poll: To rag or not to rag?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yeah, she'll be rest, drash on
33.33%
1 33.33%
No, you fool, you'll kill the car and be stranded
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effects of a shagged ream beam?
Thumbs Down 
So my ream beam is dying a death. It's noticeably lower than it was, and there is visible camber now. 

This actually isn't a problem, as I have my original, 76k, un-f*cked-with beam in the shed that will be going back on anyway. 

My question is, I have the chance to go on another free track day with work, and although there are other cars available for me to use, I am considering giving the 306 the final hurrah it deserves. 

The complication is that I need to be able to drive it hone for easter weekend to complete the work on it. What's the worst that can happen if I hoon a car with a dying ream beam? Dodgy handling isn't too much of a worry, as it's a low speed sprint course with plenty of run-off, I just need to know it won't break :-P 

Am I being a twat, or will it be fine for one last thrash?  
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Seems a bit pointless giving it a final run with broken suspension imo. In reality though, the wheel won't fall off or anything lol. You may end up losing the back end unexpectedly and writing it off though. Tongue
Thanks given by:
They can last for months like that... if you're gentle. I wouldn't personally want to do it, but then i'm naturally pretty cautious and reluctant to do anything that could screw me over later, especially if i've got the parts and facilities to sort it out. From what i remember of driving on a knackered beam you wouldn't want to take it round a track anyway, unsteady and constantly changing in the corners, with unpredictable snap oversteer as a bonus.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The more and more you drive on a nackard beam the less chance it will be good enough to rebuild, once it wears through the dead bearings and the races it will start rubbing on the tube. Personally id either swap it for a known good one or rebuild it, for the time it takes to swap them over its not worth the risk.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Yeh the more you run it the less salvageable it will be! Up to you.
Thanks given by:
That's not the point, I don't need it, they barely sell for over scrap value anyway. I just want to know if it will jeopardise me getting it home safely lol.

I've had the old girl for 5 years, I'm about to pass her on, I thought it might be a good send off :-P
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
I would highly advise against it, after seeing the state and condition of assured good axles but it's down to you at the end of the day.
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Thanks given by:
who cares they are only £500 cars now just get another Tongue

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
I've been driving on a f*cked axle for a while now. Bit iffy in corners but it's fine. Doesn't stop me.

Go ahead mate, give it the send off Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
How can you check to see how shagged a rear beam is whilst it's off the car? Mines knocking a lot, went and picked one up today and not sure how to check how much life is left in it.
Thanks given by:
Its very hard to tell off the car and generally the only way to tell its condition if its not visibly obvious is to strip it down but by time you do that its not really viable putting back together. Stand on the tube and bounce the arm with one foot note its movement and try pull the arm in and out to see if it moves.
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gti-6 ream beam conversion Aaron _d95 4 1,751 18-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Last Post: puglove