Front mount intercooler mountings/brackets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front mount intercooler mountings/brackets
Star 
Bought myself a front mount set up complete with pipe work ready to bolt on, only thing not included was the brackets.

Had a look through this guide

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=29759

And he uses 8mm threaded rods to mount the intercooler.

Is it just the case of threading them into the cooler then finding somewhere on the chassis or subframe to mount them too? My pipe works is a bit different to his.

Also saw this thread about brackets-
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28823

Which one would work better? My intercooler kit is more like the one in the second thread.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
There's no right or wrong way of doing it. It's more a matter of offering up the intercooler and pipework and seeing where you can secure it.

I like Paul's installation and am pretty much following his install, except the top hose and the fact I'm keeping A/C (Intercooler gets pushed out a little further).

Took me ages to decide. All I can suggest is Google 'Peugeot 306 HDi FMIC', select images at the top of the search page and have a look.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Like you I'm wanting to keep air con as well, guess I don't know until I've done a trial fit and see which way will be easier. I do prefer Paul's method but my intercooler is a big longer than his so that might create some problems with mounting it.
Thanks for your help will let you know how it gets on.
Thanks given by:
The cross member is perfectly located to support the inter coolerr bottom. With the appropriate bracket either welded on or bolted through that in someway..

tHe top can be braced slightly by running some straight bars across from the slam panel to the top of int cooler..

It would help if there was a picture of the ic. Specifically the brackets.

We have JUST finished welding a couple of brackets on. There will be a post in a couple of days. Showing mine..
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Pictures of the cooler:
[attachment=23495]

Think I'll go down the bolt root, not got much experience in welding!

And the top:
[attachment=23496]

[attachment=23497]
Thanks given by:
Really easy then.

Get some angle, make small brackets and bolt it through the front of the cross member..

Hang the topfrom the slam panel.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yeah that sounds like a plan, won't be fitting for a few weeks just wanted to get all the parts together. Thanks for the advice!
Thanks given by:
You'll need a thin fan.
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've read into some guides about the slimline fans - apparently some ebay specials will do the job - will 2x12" ones do the job?
Thanks given by:
They'll do the job, but aren't exactpy quality, problems seem to appear after a few thousand miles.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Look for stoney racing, 10inch are more than enough
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
    Here's the pipework kit I got with my intercooler, do I need anymore pipework or does it look like it's all there? I did line it up how it'll go on the car and I get the feeling something is missing.
Thanks given by:
Looks like you're missing a few bits, exactly what depends how you route it, so best bet is to mock it up and order bits to fill in the gaps.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Where did you get that kit from?
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's what I thought too poodle, and Chris it was bought off ebay second hand
Thanks given by:
is it me or is the small end chopped off the lower pipe? will be useless if it is
Thanks given by:
I think you may be right... Confused

Ebay are good for buyers, if it was advertised as complete/ready to fit or whatever you will be able to get your money back, the seller will have to pay the return postage too.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The lower pipe looks to have been trimmed.

I've messaged the lad and he's adamant that it bolts straight on, but he never fitted it. He bought it from a mate. Hopefully I'll get something sorted if it doesn't bolt straight on.
Thanks given by:
you need a new lower pipe......
Thanks given by:
It'll fit, but you'll probably find it keeps blowing off. 100% sure you need more bits though, there clearly aren't enough silicone bits to join all the metal and plastic bits if nothing else lol.

If the bloke is being difficult could just remind him that you're trying to resolve this pleasantly without starting a dispute. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Definitely need a new lower pipe, just noticed this ones got a whole in! There is a bag of silicone pieces and some clips that came with it. We'll see how we get on! thanks for your replies
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front mount intercooler hdi vinny 0 962 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM
Last Post: vinny
  Front mount on stage 1 JTaylor2005 40 7,989 13-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Front side mount exhaust? JTaylor2005 5 1,577 20-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005