General d turbo questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General d turbo questions
Hey guys well after a year of being out of my gold hdi I have bought another 306 for the missus :-) I just can't seem to stay away lol it's abit tatty but for 300 quid can't complain righty basically have just a few general queries

The bottom crank pulley had started to squeak I'm assuming it's a common problem ?? Is there an jotted part I can get to replace ??

The engine is very loud I think most of the noise is water pump wich had no coolant in it just manly water so should I replace it ??

The idle imo is a little higher at 1k ?? Won't adjust any lower Undecided any tips to sort that would be great :-)

I'm new to the d turbo an a little unfamiliar :-( had it been a hdi is be ok Amg help would be very much apreciate :-)
Thanks given by:
Can't comment on the bottom pulley squeak, not a common problem iirc - is this the belt, the aux belt? how is the condition of the belt / tension?

Same with water pump, are you certain the noise is coming from there? Running plain water shouldn't affect it btw.

High idle - assume then someone has fettled the pump if you can't bring it down with the idle adjustment screws, you can bring it down by adjusting the main fuel screw back anti clockwise a tad.
Thanks given by:
Belt looks to be in good condition but I'm gunna get a cambelt water pump and aux belt change just to be safe and not 100% on the water pump but it is very very noisy surely running just plain water will effect internals ?? I was under the impression coolant has a chemical in it that stops water damage to corroding metal ??
Thanks given by:
It does, but to be effective it needs to be regularly changed.
On an old DT you can bet it's probably not been changed since it left the showroom.

The bottom pulley, it could be the Aux belt tensioner pulley - that has been known to go.
Look down the engine from above and look at the aux belt pulley.

If it's flapping about like mad it's probably shot.
Thanks given by:
By the looks of the water indint think it had ever been changed gunna do a cambelt and service so hopefully itl cute the loud engine so Ito just be a case of the high idle :-(
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The General Lee 406 (pics) Doseph 11 3,131 13-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  general question thebluepearl 40 7,180 17-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Turbo questions... mspdan 8 1,963 15-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Toms306