Any descent mechanics blue smoke?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any descent mechanics blue smoke?
Hey guys I know there's a few threads on blue smoke but haven't found a definitive answers and I've asked my course tutors but there f*cking useless so basically what happen was....
A while back I changed my oil and over filled a little bit, after that I had an oil leak across the whole back of engine suspected rocker cover gasket(not from a single point). It also started giving off abit of a cloud of light blue smoke, I then drained some oil to bring it between the marks, it carried on smoking and leaking. Recently I smashed my cat through and same time tuned my fuel pump max fuel 180 and boost comp in a quarter/half tune since the it's abit more than just a cloud it bellows out.
It only does it when the cars been sat for 5+ hours and goes once I've started moving. It also doesn't seem to be using a noticeable amount of oil
My thoughts
Vale stem seals- but i was told it would also puff if it's been sat in traffic when I pull of but from what I can see it doesn't 
Turbo seals- don't really know much, turbo boost fine, whistles quiet loudly but apparently normal and hasn't changed since I brought the car when it was fine.
Piston rings- f*cking hope not haven't had it compression tested but apparently would smoke all the  time.
Sorry about the essay, any help would be appreciated 
Thanks given by:
Does the blue smoke smell like oil? Sounds stupid but could be diesel aswell.. Timing slightly out etc
Thanks given by:
Yea was just gunna Say about this after I played with the pump I was told it smelt like diesel so was thinking timing but it smoked before I tuned it
or maybe glow plugs as a long term thing as its abit lumpy when it's started but I was told the plugs had recently been changed.
Thanks given by:
Tried changing the static advance on pump, slacken it off and rotate pump towards the rear of the engine
Thanks given by:
Yea think I'll do that as it might lessen it from where I tuned it, one of my tutors suggested that when I over filled it my crank case breather pipe might be block and that's what cause it originally. Thoughts
Thanks given by:
I think I would be checking the turbo more closely, could well be leaking oil.
Dum-Dums 4x4 thread will tell you what can happen when the seals fail spectacularly.
Nearly happened to me once also.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
I was reading ruan thread about runaways and I'm really not keen for that, thing is I have got another doner car with a d8a engine, bosch pump, t2 turbo and hdi box but just trying to find the motivation to swap it all as im relatively new to machanics
Thanks given by:
The guide to changing an xud..

Unplug stuff..

Remove grill and bumper

Remove shafts

Unbolt engine

Remove engine

Replace with new engine,

Repeat original steps in reverse order.

With regards to the smoke, the oil smoke will be Hazy and have a very very obvious blue colour,  diesel smoke will be a more whitish grey colour and smell like diesel   Pump advance seems off.. Maybe regime the engine properly. 

If the turbo oil seal is leaking it will be using quite a bit of oil, and also the smell is quite distinctive if it is burning oil. 

If the piston rings are shot, burning oil isn't a likely candidate as the high pressure would mean that the diesel would tend to blow by into the crankcase and dilute the oil with diesel somewhat. A different problem in itself.  You would also start to see symptoms of this elsewhere, less power etc..

Try to ease some of the max fuel off, or alternatively turn the boost up on the turbo a little and see if it makes a difference, as others have said. Try the timing a little, advance it until the revs begin to rise and then back it off just a touch and see if the blue smoke goes. 
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
This gold car was smoking a lot of blue smoke be for this happend but not saying thats wats up with your car lol but just watch it [attachment=23021][attachment=23022]
Thanks given by:
Cheers toseland I think it's possibly a combination of valve stem seals and timing as origanlly wasnt to bad but is defifinatly hazy blue it gets worse the longer it's left and timing because it was only after tuning the pump up that it almost doubled in smoke and started smelling more like diesel. But does strike as strange it's only ever smokes stall when it's been left for awhile.

Also if I disconnected everything from the donor car before, how long do u reckon it would take to swap it in to my car. Do you recommend hiring a hoist and possibly a stand and sorting it out abit or just chuck it in
Thanks given by:
is it loosing oil? is the level of oil going down at all?
Thanks given by:
In all honesty haven't checked in to long as cars normally parked on a slop but it didn't really look like it was loosing much when I last looked but bare in mind I blow my rocket cover gasket Aswell so still leaking abit through that
Thanks given by:
keep an eye on the oil then, see how it goes. adjust your timing properly to rule that out too.

engine can come out the top with a crane, or through the bottom with jacks
Thanks given by:
Right so checked my plugs ones gone so will replace that at some point, still not convinced that's the whole problem, checked the oil but every time getting very different readings but in general don't think it's using much considering it's got a cam leak Aswell
Thanks given by:
What oil did you put in it?

Are you sure it's not actually leaking from the vacuum pump - the seals hate certain types of oils and tend to leak if some oils are used.

The smoking sounds unrelated - pull off the boost pipes and see if they're covered in oil. Does the smoke clear up once warmed up?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
http://youtu.be/kVPkLxlxj8Y here's a link to a start up after 2days
Thanks given by:
i used 10w/40 semi syn.
dont think its the pump. although ive not removed the intercooler to have a proper look, it seems to be coming from above the head and covers the whole back of the engine left to right not from a single point.
i feel that alot of the smoke is down to the timing, as it went from a small cough to well what you can see after i tuned it (but also after i decated but told defiantly not that)
then i think abit of its down to valve stems, as my theory is when i overfilled with oil, the pressure above the head blew the valve stems and the cam cover gasket
Thanks given by:
If the back of the engine is coated like that, I'll bet you it is the vacuum pump - it dribbles down the head to the headgasket line, runs along the head gasket line and then just coats everything in a nice even film. If it were the rocker cover, you'd be moaning that every time you nail it, it STINKS of burning oil from it dripping on the exhaust manifold.

Guaranteed the starting problem is nothing to do with oil - that's timing related smoke from poorly combusting diesel - it's actually not burning the diesel, rather boiling it and turning it into a vapor. Check your glowplugs for operation - sounds like duff ones to me - and check for any air ingress - does pumping the primer bulb before you start it help it clear up faster? Sounds reasonably advanced timing wise, so I'd put money on air ingress or glowplugs.

It's misfiring like a bastard when you start it - that is nothing to do with oil.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Right I had a little go with the timing :/ and bloody hell I underestimated it, I advanced it way to much So called it a night, started it in the morning and absolutely no smoke however also no performance Until I planted and the comp came in and got 19 psi.
So retarded it abit now got abit more boost but still not original and the smokes back Sad sooooo anyone got a suggestion of how to time it properly should I just keep working it untill it's right oor I notice there's a clip on the pump with 5.Someonething on should I use that and gauge?

Ps I did scratch a mark on the flange before I started so should have a reference
Thanks given by:
Ive always just advanced them to the max, then pulled it back abit until yhe knocking stopped
Thanks given by:
(23-05-2015, 12:53 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Ive always just advanced them to the max, then pulled it back abit until yhe knocking stopped

i tried that although even when retarded it sounds knocky. 

another question is there any correlation between power/torque (top/bottom end) and adv/ret
sorry for all the question but i am learning shit loads 
Thanks given by:
Priming the pump clears most of the smoke so where should I be looking for air ingress or how can I find out more
Thanks given by:
so this could of been the cause 

i also managed to fix the static timing of the pump just before my pump blew 
but now if i was to use that pump again would it need to be re timed like it is or could do it be done properly
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Blue Smoke KilianManning 10 3,240 28-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Last Post: KilianManning
  Light blue smoke Nathan1305 5 1,677 26-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Seb_Ryan
  Rough startup....smoke.. lots of smoke.. toseland 8 3,959 17-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Last Post: madmadmax