XUD9 Ran Out of Fuel - now no power!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD9 Ran Out of Fuel - now no power!
This is my first post and I'm hoping for some help from across the pond since there is not a lot of expertise on these here in the states. So I have the XUD9AI in a lawn mower (toro 455-D groundsmaster) and the fuel gauge doesn't work very well. I ran out of fuel the other day. I changed the fuel filter and primed the system and got it running. But now it will not rev up much above idle and has limited power. It runs smoothly (almost too much so) until it is under load and then it starts to choke down and struggle as if it is starving for fuel. It has a Lucas pump.

I've checked for air leaks. The fuel filter was very dirty when I changed it. Anyone ideas on where to start... pump, injectors? It was running fine before so I'm thinking it should be something simple.

Thanks.

JC
Thanks given by:
has the fuel tank pick up inside the tank got a filter on? as this maybe slighly blocked (im not sure on a lawn mower).
Thanks given by:
Im wondering if the fuel filter relies on vacuum to pull the fuel through and up from the tank. In which case this could simply be letting in air. Try a pipe off the injection pump straight into a bottle (CLEAN!). See how she runs there i'm sure you'll find it more responsive.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How big is your lawn to need one of those?
Thanks given by:
I did remove and check the pickup tube that is coming from the tank. I haven't tried to run a direct line from a clean fuel source into the pump and bypass all the filter/primer etc.

We use it to mow an olive orchard. At 10.5 ft wide, it barely fits down some of the rows.
Thanks given by:
Here's a video of it running. Notice the lack of throttle response and some smoke. Am I looking at a pump issue or injector issue or perhaps something else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhSHzgFfIqk
Thanks given by:
new fuel filter offering too much restriction possibly.. there are no kinked fuel lines and or blockages are there?

injector issue would rarely affect all 4, most often it would run like hell cause 1 had packed up..

that is crying out for an FMIC and turning up the fuel a little though, the LOLS would be epic from that if tuned haha
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2015, 01:23 PM)toseland Wrote: that is crying out for an FMIC and turning up the fuel a little though,   the LOLS would be epic from that if tuned haha

OK... not up on the terms "FMIC" and "LOLS"? Confused
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2015, 01:56 AM)FLOlive Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 01:23 PM)toseland Wrote: that is crying out for an FMIC and turning up the fuel a little though,   the LOLS would be epic from that if tuned haha

OK... not up on the terms "FMIC" and "LOLS"?   Confused

Front Mount Inter-Cooler!!! yeah, it needs one of those HA!
Thanks given by:
First thing I'd check would be the fuel filter housing, make sure you sealed it back up. Need some pics of this beastie!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Here's a Pic of the beast.

[Image: 10931134_837688939650060_8518088736159300123_o.jpg]

https://drive.google.com/a/respondex.com...sp=sharing
Thanks given by:
Didn't even know they put XUDs in stuff like that, strangest thing I've heard of with one is the FSO Polonez [emoji38]
Thanks given by:
sweeeeet.

I worked at a bike shop / lawn mower shop years ago and Toro was one of the brands, good mowers, didn't know they went this big!

the councils all over the uk have ones this big and road legal, wonder whats in them?? probably kubota with a cvt.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
My mate drives one, 600cc Rotrax diesel.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Loss of power, likely due to clogged fuel filter? silverzx 14 5,274 16-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Last Post: silverzx