Too much fuel?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too much fuel?
Hi guys,

When I'm driving my 6 I can always smell petrol, like the cars not burning it off properly?

Can this happen? Or is it another issue?

All comments welcome as always! Smile
Thanks given by:
As in unburnt petrol smell or burnt? Could be exhaust blowing bit?
Thanks given by:
Not sure if it would apply to a petrol but on my hdi the constant fuel smell was diesel leaking around the injectors
Thanks given by:
If its blowing before the cat, it can smell quite rich. If not, i would say either your coolant temperature sensor or lambda sensor is goosed and more than likely lambda.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Injector seal, pipes to the fuel rail, decat, exhaust leak, pipe to charcoal canister not connected right
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I forgot to subscribe to the thread!

I've just had a brand new back box put on it, and the mid section has been removed and replaced with a 2.5" stainless steel pipe. The cats fine as my mechanic has checked it when he put my back box on.

It smells like there's unburned fuel when I'm going along at 30, smells like she's running really rich?

Also I stuck a tenner in her earlier and got about 40 miles out of her and I was taking it relatively easy! Would getting her plugged into a diagnostics machine find or remedy the issue? If there is one?
Thanks given by:
Best bet is putting on emissions tester at mot garage that way youll know if its rich
Thanks given by:
A diagnostic would help, especially if you can see live lambda readings. Or as Seb says, use an emissions test.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Could be a split fuel pipe in the engine bay, worth checking them as they do start to crack with age.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies guys! Smile

I'll get her plugged in next week when I'm getting the driveshaft seal and gear box oil change done.
Thanks given by: