106 or 306 Track Car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
106 or 306 Track Car
So what would you guys turn into a track car? A 106 GTi or a 306 GTi6 and why would you choose that car in particular. 

Trying to get an idea of what could be better Smile
Thanks given by:
106 GTi - lighter, revvier, etc.
Thanks given by:
306 GTi6. More stable, more roomy and safer. Also alot more scope for serious engine swaps if you wanted to go mental or fit the mi16x4 drivetrain.
Thanks given by:
i would love a 106 gti but 306 gti would be roughly the same prices with 30 bhp extra.

And the 106 as more of a twat factor when your not on track.A 306 can blend in,doesn't stick out and sound like a bean can
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2015, 08:23 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: or fit the mi16x4 drivetrain.

Which whilst epic, copes with f*ck all power Sad

Theres pros and cons to both. 106 handles better, easier to mess around with. 306 is more stable at speeds and quite a substantial amount more room in the bay for a bigger engine. The TU 16v engine is a cracking little engine and can take a lot of stick but then again, so can the gti6 engine with forged goodies.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It's a tough choice. Love how light and nimble the 106 is but could imaging the GTi6 being pretty decent on track. Never driven a 6' so wouldn't know what they are like.

Im after something that's going to be decent power to begin with and really nimble. Seems a 106 GTi fits the bill better but not sure how a 6' would compare 
Thanks given by:
206 gti 180 IMO, genuinely impressed with the one I had & you can pick them up very cheap! Good mix of the two.
Thanks given by:
106 will be more fun for less money. 306s are a bit more serious as a track car imo, especially on a budget, have to push a lot harder to find the limit, perhaps something to upgrade to when you've reached the limit of the 106.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
You could always tune the 1.4 lump. Doesn't the VTS head fit, get some bodies and you'd make VTS power from the 1.4 but TBH being fast on track isn't all about power. You need decent tyres suspension and brakes as goo handling will give you an extra 10mph in the corners and then all the way down every straight where power will only make you faster on the straights. Also you need 30% more power to be 10% faster.
Thanks given by:
'6 felt pretty heavy and lazy on the road compared to a 1.8 let alone a 106, wouldn't want that on track imo!

If you're doing a big track with long fast straights the '6 would be better. For a quick revvy pull out of corners and something nimble enough to chuck it where you like on a tighter track it'd be the 106 for me.

As Niall says there are pros and cons to both though.
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2015, 08:45 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: 206 gti 180 IMO, genuinely impressed with the one I had & you can pick them up very cheap! Good mix of the two.

Yeah was out on track with Pebbles 180 and it was pretty quick but not really a big fan of them 

(26-04-2015, 08:47 PM)Poodle Wrote: 106 will be more fun for less money. 306s are a bit more serious as a track car imo, especially on a budget, have to push a lot harder to find the limit, perhaps something to upgrade to when you've reached the limit of the 106.

Yeah 106's are pretty epic even though my engine isn't the healthiest was still pretty quick hit 120mph and still had more revs to go. Really fallen for them, may get the GTi. 

(26-04-2015, 08:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: You could always tune the 1.4 lump. Doesn't the VTS head fit, get some bodies and you'd make VTS power from the 1.4 but TBH being fast on track isn't all about power. You need decent tyres suspension and brakes as goo handling will give you an extra 10mph in the corners and then all the way down every straight where power will only make you faster on the straights. Also you need 30% more power to be 10% faster.

Mines the 1.6 8v. People have got them to GTi power but takes a lot of money and work. Would rather start with a GTi and work from that. Already have a rear beam and springs to go on it

(26-04-2015, 08:50 PM)Toms306 Wrote: '6 felt pretty heavy and lazy on the road compared to a 1.8 let alone a 106, wouldn't want that on track imo!

If you're doing a big track with long fast straights the '6 would be better.  For a quick revvy pull out of corners and something nimble enough to chuck it where you like on a tighter track it'd be the 106 for me.

As Niall says there are pros and cons to both though.

Will be a Combe most of the time the 106' really seem to thrive on that track
Thanks given by:
Personally I've come to the conclusion that the last thing you want is a 'serious' track car, as it just means all the fun is had at much higher speeds, and they tend to be a lot less forgiving when they let go. 106 GTi is as serious as I'd want to get, I imagine you can have plenty of fun with them without having to do over 100mph
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Tough decision for me, but id go 306 GTI
106 GTI's cost a fortune these days, can pick up a 306 GTI pretty cheap!
Both great but the extra room/stability/safety of the 306 would swing it for me
Thanks given by:
Yeah the106 GTi is going for a lot these days. Wanna spend around a grand
Thanks given by:
From what I can see, the 306 would stand up to track abuse better than a 106 will in terms of braking, suspension etc... IMHO the GTi6 engine is as much of a peach as the TU16v engine, it's just that the TU16v takes so much better seemingly to modification than the GTi6 engine - obviously less fragile too. Also the 106 is much better at quick changes in direction, naturally so, it's a good bit lighter.

It totally depends what kinda track you're taking it to also, the bigger, longer tracks will suit the GTi6 more than the 106 - it's swings and roundabouts for certain, I'd prefer the better stability at high speed... From having limited experience in a 106 GTi, I felt it wasn't as friendly beyond the limit as the GTi6, the GTi6 to me is much happier with a lick of trailing throttle into a corner, allowing it to neutralise just to the point that you have to apply ever so slightly less lock and powering out vs the 106 just felt to me like it was less controllable at the point it goes neutral, the ever so slight slide would always go a bit further than you were expecting and ended in more of an "oh shit" moment than "that's what I wanted the car to do"...

All IMHO of course - it's a personal thing, depends whether you like to drive crisp packets or the slightly heavier baked bean tin - to me the baked bean tin just felt sweeter in it's responses.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(26-04-2015, 11:15 PM)Ruan Wrote: From what I can see, the 306 would stand up to track abuse better than a 106 will in terms of braking, suspension etc... IMHO the GTi6 engine is as much of a peach as the TU16v engine, it's just that the TU16v takes so much better seemingly to modification than the GTi6 engine - obviously less fragile too. Also the 106 is much better at quick changes in direction, naturally so, it's a good bit lighter.

It totally depends what kinda track you're taking it to also, the bigger, longer tracks will suit the GTi6 more than the 106 - it's swings and roundabouts for certain, I'd prefer the better stability at high speed... From having limited experience in a 106 GTi, I felt it wasn't as friendly beyond the limit as the GTi6, the GTi6 to me is much happier with a lick of trailing throttle into a corner, allowing it to neutralise just to the point that you have to apply ever so slightly less lock and powering out vs the 106 just felt to me like it was less controllable at the point it goes neutral, the ever so slight slide would always go a bit further than you were expecting and ended in more of an "oh shit" moment than "that's what I wanted the car to do"...

All IMHO of course - it's a personal thing, depends whether you like to drive crisp packets or the slightly heavier baked bean tin - to me the baked bean tin just felt sweeter in it's responses.

Thanks Ruan Smile really great breakdown there. I get what you're saying about the responsiveness of the 106 on track fighting for grip which was down to tyres but you get a sense of how lively they are. Even dropping a gear into a corner the backend was stepping out a little. I absolutely love how the 106' preform in the bends. 

As for the 306 I imagine it being very stable and predictable. I will be at coombe 95% of the time and the 106 seems to be more suited to it. As I've said I've never driven a 6' or even been in one round track, so might see if I can get a passenger ride at FCS to see how they do round track. Give me a better idea of what I want then Smile 
Thanks given by:
Nathan I hope to have the rallye out at FCS and don't yet have a co driver so your welcome to come along and see what it's like. Obviously it's not a stripped out track car but it'll give you an idea.
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 08:55 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Nathan I hope to have the rallye out at FCS and don't yet have a co driver so your welcome to come along and see what it's like. Obviously it's not a stripped out track car but it'll give you an idea.

That would be awesome thanks mate Smile 
Thanks given by:
Maybe what I'm also trying to say is I think you'll find it easier to get into a rhythm with the 306 - that's not to say the 106 you can't get into a rhythm, but I felt it was definitely more difficult - there's also the fact that I really don't fit in 106s, I feel like I'm fighting the pedals all the time and my knees are jammed up on the steering wheel, whereas a 306 I just about fit.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
If you want a peugeot 106 gti for track use but they're too expensive you can pick up a tatty saxo vts for next to nothing these days.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 11:51 AM)RetroPug Wrote: If you want a peugeot 106 gti for track use but they're too expensive you can pick up a tatty saxo vts for next to nothing these days.

I was about to say this, VTS is probably the answer for budget/power if you decide the 106. I personally would go for one over a '6 purely on the basis of having something a bit different for the track. 
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 12:02 PM)JJ0063 Wrote:
(27-04-2015, 11:51 AM)RetroPug Wrote: If you want a peugeot 106 gti for track use but they're too expensive you can pick up a tatty saxo vts for next to nothing these days.

I was about to say this, VTS is probably the answer for budget/power if you decide the 106. I personally would go for one over a '6 purely on the basis of having something a bit different for the track. 

Yeah I was about to say I'm edging towards the 106 purely because it's different to what I drive daily. I'm in no massive rush so willing to save for a GTi Smile
Thanks given by:
306 far better built car and easier to work on from my experience of owing a handful off both 106 parts getting rare to . you would enjoy one as much as the other thou
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 09:18 AM)Ruan Wrote: Maybe what I'm also trying to say is I think you'll find it easier to get into a rhythm with the 306 - that's not to say the 106 you can't get into a rhythm, but I felt it was definitely more difficult - there's also the fact that I really don't fit in 106s, I feel like I'm fighting the pedals all the time and my knees are jammed up on the steering wheel, whereas a 306 I just about fit.

Yeah you've got to remember this is essentially a car review from sideshow bob. 

Good shout on getting a vts instead. Surprised people reckon the 306 is easier to work on, horses for courses i guess.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
306s tend to be lest rusty than 106s so will need less welding over the coming years if your planning on keeping it.
Thanks given by:
Saxo is a brilliant shout for a track slag, the image problem makes them dirt cheap.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Yeah seems the 306 would be a bit cheaper and easier to get hold of but already have a new beam, su frames and springs for a 106. Like the liveliness of the 106 
Thanks given by:
xsara vts ???

Absolute steals at the moment better rack and beam just look abit gay
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(27-04-2015, 06:42 PM)7057sam Wrote: xsara vts ???

Absolute steals at the moment better rack and beam just look abit gay

Nah it's either going to be a 106 or 306. Think I'm decided with the 106 to be honest. Light and revy plus would keep up with a 6' if not actually be quicker 
Thanks given by:
I suppose another up side with the 106 is that with the right trailer you could tow it with the 306.

IIRC the bigger engined 3dr 306s can tow up to a gross weight of 1150kg braked. I reckon your car is sub 800kg so that gives you 300kg to build a braked trailer out of a caravan chassis. IIRC you have had your licence f*ck all time so would need to take a test to tow that but most of us here could tow that.
Thanks given by: