'Lumpy' steering advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Lumpy' steering advice
Looking for advice please or pointed in the direction of a relevant thread. The steering on my phase one DT has gone lumpy, like it's being steered with a 50p in the mechanism rather than something round and there's no self centering. There is plenty of fluid (although I have no idea how old it is) and the belt and tensioner have been replaced so no slipping. Sometimes I think it gets smoother the further the car is driven but may just be getting used to it.

What area should I be looking at next? Does anyone know if it's more likely to be the rack or the pump?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks given by:
again I'm a tyro with these cars so can only offer very basic advice......

how long have you had the car and how long has this been happening.....have you kerbed the front wheels or similar.......how is the uj connecting the steering columb to the rack knackered??

with the front wheels in the air, is the steering still notchy??

is it possible to jack the front of the car up via the steering rack??   do not do this as I assume the rack will be damaged for ever!!

thats about my limit, hope it helps....
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the reply. Have had the car for a couple of years. Steering has been notchy for a few months now. Front wheels haven't been kerbed and uj seemed fine but will definitely take a closer look. I hadn't thought to check if it was notchy with the wheels off the ground so will do that at the same time.
Thanks given by:
Worn top strut mount bearings possibly.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down advice removing steering wheel kingy 17 7,705 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Last Post: cully