Whats the big deal with the bosch pump?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the big deal with the bosch pump?
Question 
Hey guys,

So Im pretty new to owning a D-Turbo and even newer to the forum, so I searched for a simple thing as its a very popular topic and Im basically looking for a quick answer to "What is so special about a bosch pump?" and even more important "Do I need to change from a Lucas to a Bosch if I'm staying stock in mods?".

I mean it may sound noob or ignorant, but Im not really following why the pump would make a difference, I mean sure a pump will throw more fuel, but is that the only reason? Are the Bosch better quality? Are there any caveats with the conversion?

Thanks
Ex cars: '86 Opel Monza 1.6 GLS Puke & '97 Opel Astra 180ie 16v - oil spill & '07 VW Polo 1.9TDI (stolen) - Awesome car!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2015, 06:41 AM)timpug Wrote: Hey guys,

So Im pretty new to owning a D-Turbo and even newer to the forum, so I searched for a simple thing as its a very popular topic and Im basically looking for a quick answer to "What is so special about a bosch pump?" and even more important "Do I need to change from a Lucas to a Bosch if I'm staying stock in mods?".

I mean it may sound noob or ignorant, but Im not really following why the pump would make a difference, I mean sure a pump will throw more fuel, but is that the only reason? Are the Bosch better quality? Are there any caveats with the conversion?

Thanks

Bosch is better, lucas pumps leave you pretty limited to tuning. I think they have better pressure as well...

I don't think you sound noob or ignorant, if you don't know... you don't know. You've come to the best place to ask though Wink

Ive never owned the old xud Dturbo but there are plenty of guys on here that would go into depth with the differences. I think the main differences are ease of tuning and fuel delivery in a nutshell

I hope that helps, if not Poodle will be along soon Wink
Thanks given by: timpug
Poodle? Pahh he's a hdi gayer Big Grin .... In a nut shell, it delivers more fuel if required at higher pressure but it's the ability to change all the settings from outside the pump that make it good for tuning, Lucas you need to drain th e pump each time you adjust it, akso the LDA system on the Bosch helps deliver fuel at the right time to stop bogging down and minimise smoke and maximise power, also you can raise the rev limit also know as gov mod on the Bosch, want to run veg oil? You'll need a Bosch, I could go on but that's the basics Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Poodles more HDi tbh...you want toask Darren for XUD really... lol

Basically Bosch pumps are easier to tune and more potential for higher power. They are also more suitable for use with veg oil which is half the price of diesel.

Lucas pumps aren't terrible though, if you want to run ~125bhp on pump diesel there's nothing wrong with them!
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2015, 08:01 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Poodle? Pahh he's a hdi gayer Big Grin .... In a nut shell, it delivers more fuel if required at higher pressure but it's the ability to change all the settings from outside the pump that make it good for tuning, Lucas you need to drain th e pump each time you adjust it, akso the LDA system on the Bosch helps deliver fuel at the right time to stop bogging down and minimise smoke and maximise power, also you can raise the rev limit also know as gov mod on the Bosch, want to run veg oil? You'll need a Bosch, I could go on but that's the basics Smile
LOL got people mixed up haha...I cba to change nothing Big Grin But yeah much better desc. Wink

(16-04-2015, 08:02 AM)Toms306 Wrote: you want to ask Darren for XUD really... lol

Would that be Darrenjlobb Big Grin he 'da man!' Wink
Thanks given by:
Ok awesome that makes perfect sense Smile

I need to see what my car has actually, havent even really investigated anything, just get in and drive so far. Still loads of things I need to do!
Ex cars: '86 Opel Monza 1.6 GLS Puke & '97 Opel Astra 180ie 16v - oil spill & '07 VW Polo 1.9TDI (stolen) - Awesome car!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life." - Henry David Thoreau
Thanks given by:
On a 97 you'll have a Lucas unless its been replaced mate, look in the guides section at xud stuff, plenty of pictures of Bosch pumps in there Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
There should be a 'flying saucer' on top of it Wink if its bosch
Thanks given by:
Lucas tends to produce a much smokier tune than Bosch, you don't have as much adjustment. Also, having had 2 XUD's on Lucas and 2 on Bosch, Bosch cars get a few more miles to the gallon.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Bosch cars feel better to drive too like when you push the throttle it does more what you expect it to do.

If your not tuning it or planning on running on something that isn't diesel then stick with the lucas that is probably on there and save the hassle. on a standard car the swap isn't worth the hassle.
Thanks given by:
Better made, more efficient, much more adjustable and much more easily adjustable, the list is endless.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Got a lucas on mine, had to drain the pump 4 times to adjust it to go well and not smoke, it does take time to set up, but once ya done it you'll be well chuffed with the extra power! and still returns upto 60mpg!

I do want to change to bosch so I can run it on veg/diesel mix though
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slack in bosch pump? dt_ 14 3,390 21-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Bosch pump help for newbie PugRy 2 1,967 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jamie182
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,467 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby