Proctas Rover Metro GTA 16v

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proctas Rover Metro GTA 16v
(12-11-2012, 09:23 PM)procta Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 08:50 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: love it mate, im building a 2 litre mini at the moment so always nice to see a fellow small rover, massive engine enthusiast. keep it up haha

are you putting in a vtec or redtop engine in the mini?
i have had a bit of a time with the car, now iam improving and setting up things.
also the 1.4 16v runing gear that was in this car went into a mini. not sure if the lad ever got the build finshed.

redtop, havnt managed to source a decent engine yet though, there all knackered, hopefully be able to get a nice race spec one from one of the autograss lot. got some other rather nice bits ready for it ready though, things like titanium radius arms and such Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
good stuff pal!
the mini lads said that the vtec minis cannot get the power down well, that was why he went k series.
this engine is out of a lotus elise, it behaves like a 1.4/HDi. keeping the revs down, opening it up and it can be a right laugh and shock a few faces. i suprised a ford fiesta driver, he had to take off his sun glasses to see what the hell was up with the car. also a ford focus driver got a nasty shock when he tried it on at the lights with me. my dad was ill with laughter.
you got that to come with your mini!
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 09:29 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 09:23 PM)procta Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 08:50 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: love it mate, im building a 2 litre mini at the moment so always nice to see a fellow small rover, massive engine enthusiast. keep it up haha

are you putting in a vtec or redtop engine in the mini?
i have had a bit of a time with the car, now iam improving and setting up things.
also the 1.4 16v runing gear that was in this car went into a mini. not sure if the lad ever got the build finshed.

redtop, havnt managed to source a decent engine yet though, there all knackered, hopefully be able to get a nice race spec one from one of the autograss lot. got some other rather nice bits ready for it ready though, things like titanium radius arms and such Smile

Don't do it, Shit engine in a good car!

Always wanted a Metro Gta for my first car, couldn't find one for the price I wanted one for though Sad bet this surprises alot of people!
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 09:42 PM)procta Wrote: good stuff pal!
the mini lads said that the vtec minis cannot get the power down well, that was why he went k series.
this engine is out of a lotus elise, it behaves like a 1.4/HDi. keeping the revs down, opening it up and it can be a right laugh and shock a few faces. i suprised a ford fiesta driver, he had to take off his sun glasses to see what the hell was up with the car. also a ford focus driver got a nasty shock when he tried it on at the lights with me. my dad was ill with laughter.

its going to be even more epic with the mini since its bright pink haha, i bet a k series in a metro is pretty scary, ive been in a lotus with that engine and that was insanely quick!!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Nice project procta, I've followed this for about 2 years. You've come a long way!
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 10:53 PM)Dicky Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 09:29 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 09:23 PM)procta Wrote: are you putting in a vtec or redtop engine in the mini?

Don't do it, Shit engine in a good car!

Always wanted a Metro Gta for my first car, couldn't find one for the price I wanted one for though Sad bet this surprises alot of people!

oh aye it does, with them not been practically extinit up here, people see them as crap cars, micra drivers try it on but the table gets turned, also a few ford focuses try it on too. if they get the run on me it turns out in a chase of cat and mouse.
a few golfs and A3s have tried to sit off the bumper on the twistys. but nothing really happens as they turn off. a few lads have stopped and looked as i have flew passed which is a laugh.
this model is rarer than the gta 8vs and the gtis, as these were only in production for 3 years and not many made.

(12-11-2012, 11:01 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(12-11-2012, 09:42 PM)procta Wrote: good stuff pal!

its going to be even more epic with the mini since its bright pink haha, i bet a k series in a metro is pretty scary, ive been in a lotus with that engine and that was insanely quick!!

your mini is the same colour of my metro rio i had, plus my aunty had the same model of mini, the mini 35 in navana red.
k series metros are nippy to start with like the a series ones. the bigger engine ones are another world! i havent red lined this thing at all up the box. so temped too. i let my pal put is foot down and it scared the shit out of him! he calls it the red bull.

(13-11-2012, 12:02 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: Nice project procta, I've followed this for about 2 years. You've come a long way!

if it wasnt the support of the members of the 306, i think i would have give this the elbow . closest thing i have to experince on what you lot have with the 306s as in repairs etc. i havent pulled my 306 to bits as its been great car.
just got to make the metro better now,
Thanks given by:
yeah, nevada red, ive had it resprayed and tbf the colour shoo guys did a brilliant mix, its a much nicer colour than rovers original effort, ive had a good look at other nevada minis and they all look a bit pale and faded compared to mine, pluis its a great colour to match anodised aluminium parts to Smile having a white 306 is pretty good too as pretty much anything looks good against white.
have you ever thought of going rwd on your metro? i saw a rwd turbocharged k series metro at a mini show once, i bet that would be bloody terryfying in such a tiny car haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2012, 09:35 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: yeah, nevada red, ive had it resprayed and tbf the colour shoo guys did a brilliant mix, its a much nicer colour than rovers original effort, ive had a good look at other nevada minis and they all look a bit pale and faded compared to mine, pluis its a great colour to match anodised aluminium parts to Smile having a white 306 is pretty good too as pretty much anything looks good against white.
have you ever thought of going rwd on your metro? i saw a rwd turbocharged k series metro at a mini show once, i bet that would be bloody terryfying in such a tiny car haha

i loved my rio, it was better shell than this one, shame i got shot 8 years go!
that car had new archs in and practically resprayed.
i havent thought about going rwd, but talked about fitting rear turrents and throttle body the engine. but that will put the car into another league. my dad wants to take it to shows. iam not into that sort of thing, just start it and drive it and do the odd track day with it.
i have just bought some uprated rear mounts for the front subframe i think next year i will try and buy the exhaust.
Thanks given by:
im not as familiar with metros as minis, you had much difficulty getting uprated performance parts for it? i know you can get anything for a mini in ultra light/ultra strong variations.
if you ever feel like the k series isnt quite enough honda b16 vtec engines are pretty much a direct fit as its the same basic shared design as the k series, just had alot more head development. also superchargers are wicked with a k series Smile
just some food for thought
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2012, 11:08 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: im not as familiar with metros as minis, you had much difficulty getting uprated performance parts for it? i know you can get anything for a mini in ultra light/ultra strong variations.
if you ever feel like the k series isnt quite enough honda b16 vtec engines are pretty much a direct fit as its the same basic shared design as the k series, just had alot more head development. also superchargers are wicked with a k series Smile
just some food for thought

a lot of performance parts are starting to get a little thin on the ground now sadly. thats due to rover going bust and rover sport went with it.
a few things like the shock mounts for the front end, rear droplinks and rear arb fittings have been made again. also a lot of upgraded parts ( mpi) are really thin on the ground now as well as gti bits. its took me about 4 years to sorce what i need so far.
vtec in metros are not that comon at all, in fact i think there is practically very very little info on the subject. seen about 3 vtec metros. one was an aseries metro and the other two were later mk3 and mk4 metros. you dont really see the a series metros getting engine convertions at all. mainly the mk3 and mk4s,
i have read about a reworked a series turbo metro van that got 170 bhp and also a V8 been slotted in the back of another a series metro. ( that was an engineering job and a half)
turbo kseries engines are starting to come into play now. was un heard of a few years ago about those been dropped in mk3 and mk4 metros.
one supercharger convertsion was done about 5 years ago, no one didnt follow that route anymore and that cars been dismantled. shell is used as a track car and engines where abouts is un known. he got that to about 200 bhp as i read.
i know the mg metro cup boys have got a few tricks up their sleves with a few bits and pieces.
Thanks given by:
spent some time this week, me and my dad fitted rear upgraded front subframe mounts, the old ones were about dead! also we changed the drive shafts, the passanger side one dropped to bits before it was removed from the gear box. drivers side one wasnt that far off from dropping to pieces either! also i swopped the stearing arms over to metros ones instead of mgf units. as they were causing bump stear. i have to get the cars tracking checked over to be sure its all ok.
next up is sorce why my floor pans are wet again!
Thanks given by:
it wouldnt be a proper british car without a few leaks, character building haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(25-11-2012, 10:37 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: it wouldnt be a proper british car without a few leaks, character building haha

thats true! laugh is thing car hasnt had any welding to the floor pans yet.
its a character like, my mate calls it the red bull.
Thanks given by:
this is been a pain in the arse again, its spat a top hose made another one up and it spat that one!
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2012, 03:16 PM)procta Wrote: this is been a pain in the arse again, its spat a top hose made another one up and it spat that one!

definatly a rover then haha
my lotus did that once when the headgasket popped, sprayed mayonaise shit all over the screen Sad
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2012, 05:44 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(30-11-2012, 03:16 PM)procta Wrote: this is been a pain in the arse again, its spat a top hose made another one up and it spat that one!

definatly a rover then haha
my lotus did that once when the headgasket popped, sprayed mayonaise shit all over the screen Sad

looks like iam gonna have to revert back to the hose setup i had before and retap into somewhere else.
Thanks given by:
sorted the hose failure, going to look at tapping into somewhere else.
when the car was tracked the mot tester found that the car was miss firing. i found out the hard way.
when i reached over to blead the system, i put my hand on the side of the engine where the leads were. one of them must have been shorting out on the metal hose pipe. i got a f*ck off belt and stopped missfiring. i found damage to the outer casing to one of the leads, so eleccy taped it till after xmas.
also found my stearing wheel was off set so i corrected that.
i think thats it now until after new year.
Thanks given by:
Bet its a relief to have it sorted for now though
in other news, ive decided on a new direction for my mini project, due to the lack of decent vauxhall engines availible, im going to have a go at modifying my custom subframe so that it can take a peugeot engine Smile never seen a pug powered mini before, could be interesting
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
XUD mini? Yes please!!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 08:58 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Bet its a relief to have it sorted for now though
in other news, ive decided on a new direction for my mini project, due to the lack of decent vauxhall engines availible, im going to have a go at modifying my custom subframe so that it can take a peugeot engine Smile never seen a pug powered mini before, could be interesting

it is so i can fire it up after the new year.
there is a pug powered metro called the rover metro CD and a Rover 100 called the R115. both not really that comon as the petrol counter part, the two dervs ran the same engine as the 106/ax/saxo. also metros use the same gear box too.
be interesting to see a derv powered propper mini! not sure how you would turbo it, something mite turn up for your mini,
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 09:11 PM)procta Wrote:
(09-12-2012, 08:58 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Bet its a relief to have it sorted for now though

it is so i can fire it up after the new year.
there is a pug powered metro called the rover metro CD and a Rover 100 called the R115. both not really that comon as the petrol counter part, the two dervs ran the same engine as the 106/ax/saxo. also metros use the same gear box too.
be interesting to see a derv powered propper mini! not sure how you would turbo it, something mite turn up for your mini,
Il certainly look into making an xud mini, only thing about a diesel lump is that its incredibly heavy so could potentually ruin the whole point of a mini which is epic handling. if thats the case i might look at trying to squeeze a 206 gti180 or mi16 engine in it,. if people can fit vtecs and other 16 valvers into minis i dont see why a pug transplant would be so difficult. maybe even a 205 gti lump on throttle bodies....
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
thats the thing you can upset the handling of the car, some of the hardcore track lads fit mgtf subframes when they mate throttle bodies to kseries engines. iam not sure if i will go down that route yet, as its a different ball game then.
Thanks given by:
I cant imagine the standard metro sub frame would be able to hold the power of a k series on bodies, might end up separating itself from the car :/
suppose it would make sense to use an mgtf sub frame since it was designed for the k series
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2012, 09:54 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I cant imagine the standard metro sub frame would be able to hold the power of a k series on bodies, might end up separating itself from the car :/
suppose it would make sense to use an mgtf sub frame since it was designed for the k series

laugh is the mgf is practically a metro in drag. it uses two metro front subframes and a other bits. all just bolts in with a few bits off the subframe removed and swopped over. only thing is traction problems but with the right tyres and lsd your laughing.
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 05:35 AM)procta Wrote:
(09-12-2012, 09:54 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: I cant imagine the standard metro sub frame would be able to hold the power of a k series on bodies, might end up separating itself from the car :/

laugh is the mgf is practically a metro in drag. it uses two metro front subframes and a other bits. all just bolts in with a few bits off the subframe removed and swopped over. only thing is traction problems but with the right tyres and lsd your laughing.

metro in drag haha, good point though Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 07:00 AM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(10-12-2012, 05:35 AM)procta Wrote:

metro in drag haha, good point though Smile
i hated the mgf i broke, not a fan of them at all. they are a right f*ck on to work on. make great donor cars for metros tho!
Thanks given by:
fired this back up this afternoon, 1st time since before xmas,
checked a few things, coolant and taped up one of the spark plug leads that was damaged ( temp fix)
i think i have a slight coolant weep on the top rad hose where it connects the rad. i pushed the rubber seal down a little, seemed to ease the leaking. Then i took the car for some petrol as it was nearly in the red. a chav in a clio who was filling up his bit clio with big bore. said thats a mint motor that pal! his chav mates in a new shaped corsa asked if it was quick. i told them it goes ok for a 20 year old car, costing me 180 quid. i thought i was going get some trouble as i was expecting them to sit off the bumper. so i could wind the car up, but they stayed behind.
Took it for quick sprint afterwards, then noticed the temp gauge climbing, so blead the coolant and all is well.
so we will see what happens this year with the old metro, shes 21 just gone!
Thanks given by:
Have you seen the metro I've just bought?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2013, 05:05 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Have you seen the metro I've just bought?

no i havent, you using it as a donor car?
Thanks given by:
Nah, found a metro convertible at the scrappy, sister fell in love with it so now its a restore project, put a thread in the photos of cars section Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells P38 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Eeyore 10 4,643 11-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Rover 214si tenwierdufos 172 54,546 09-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Last Post: tenwierdufos
  My First Car - 1991 Rover Mini Neon [Image Heavy] phillmoore 39 13,491 26-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: silverzx