Hello...Looking for some help please

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello...Looking for some help please
Hello All,

Good to have found this forum and thanks for letting me join.

Ever since they came out, I thought the 306 Cabriolet was a great shape and after almost 20 yrs, I still think the design stands up well so have decided to get out there and buy one and would welcome some advice and opinions.

I am looking for a 'Keeper', one for the long haul so it needs to be the right one. Ideally I am looking for something that is perhaps a little unique, perhaps a rare colour available for a short period, or one that sold in low numbers. Engine spec is not important (No boy racer antics here) but originality is. I am a sucker for early versions of anything as they are closest to the designers original idea, but is this the right approach? I am a long term classic owner (Morgan 4/4 since 2000) so recorded history would be a big plus

I am researching on line any buying the original brochures to increase my knowledge, but I know many here will have expert knowledge. What should I be wary of, what are the important things to check, what in terms of parts etc are scare or unavailable? Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club Smile
Cabbies seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground now, especially ones that have been looked after well but providing you aren't in a rush, I'm sure you will find something! The cabby came in a few colours that the other models didnt (sundance yellow and a burnt orange colour spring to mind) and also got things like full leather seats (black, tan and red colours) as well as leather door cards.

Cabby specific issues, i don't think there is any really. The roof mechanisms are about as reliable as most other cabriolets and even if yours fails, its a simple system and second hand spares are fairly plentiful. General 306 things to check are rear axles cambering (park on level ground and get down behind the car and look at the wheels. You may find one or both rear wheels have cambered quite badly. New axle time then!), rust around the front sub frame mounts where the car has been incorrectly jacked up in the past, worn front suspension bushes (listen for clunks and knocks. Suspension refreshes are fairly cheap but obviously if you can avoid it, the better!). Air con never works. If it does work, you must be friends with the virgin Mary! Engine cooling fans can fail. Normally water ingress in the plug to the fans which can be fixed easily. Other than that, its just usual things you would expect from a old car!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: 1616six
His pretty much covered everything. So welcome
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, is there any easy reference to the model designations, colours, optional extras and specs offered during the manufacturing run short of getting hold of every brochure for every year, something on the web perhaps? Had a look but can't find anything
Thanks given by:
Firstly hello and welcome to the forum Smile definitely in the right place!

Secondly, if i was looking for a cabby with all that in mind, i would be looking for a Ph1 roland garros

[Image: Peugeoty-306-Cabriolet-Roland-Garros_zps0dvkdkam.jpg]

Cannot get anymore special edition than that Big Grin lovely colour, cream leather with red seatbelts etc and on 205 gti wheels as standard!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
We don't have anything like that on here but you've put an idea in my head that we probably should write one!
There were never huge differences in specification with 306s. Some cabby's did have cloth seats but most are leather. Its just a case of choosing your leather colour. The Tan and red are a bit marmite. Personally i love them but some don't. All had electric windows, Ph3 models (late 1999-2002) had auto wipers. The PH1 cabby (1994-1996 i think?) came with a 2.0l 8v engine. Not a bad engine, nothing special. The ph2 and 3 came with either a 1.8 or 2.0 both 16v. Personally, i think the 1.8 was the better lump. Only 15ish BHP less but substantially lighter being a ally block and head. Both engines suffer from ICV issues but this isn't a issue really. If you want to do engine modifications, the 1.8 ECU is pretty terrible unless the engine is kept standard.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I always find autoevolution a great site for general knowledge on specific models Smile

http://www.autoevolution.com/peugeot/306/

Happy hunting!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Not usually a fan of cabbies myself but that Rolland Garros looks epic tbh! Always seem to like RG spec'd Peugeots.

Welcome btw.
Thanks given by:
Hello and welcome along Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Welcome bud. Smile
Thanks given by:
Welcome Smile
Thanks given by:
Hello & a warm welcome ....
Thanks given by: