WARNING! Crankshaft pulley issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WARNING! Crankshaft pulley issues
Its probably not life threatening or massively dangerous but if you do not want a sewing-machine-sounding car, probably best to buy decent one first!

I had a screechy sounding manual tensioner on my HDi and decided to change the crankshaft pulley and the tensioner. I haven't changed the crankshaft pulley since buying the car 5 years ago and I don't believe the previous owner did either so i thought nows a good time as any...

I bought this from ECP for £45.54 and it looks a whole lot different to the original:
[Image: IMG_20150409_100835.jpg]

Now this one ^^^ has been making the ticking/tapping noise and it is brand new!? Not a happy bunny.
But I am over it now as I have refitted the old one back on, it was a bit rusty but its QUIET.

I suspect the casting on the new one is slightly out and when i find my vernier and micrometers out, I'm going to measure the hell out of it...I am convinced, by eye, that it is not running true.

Here's a picture of the old one refitted back on car:
[Image: IMG_20150409_100736.jpg]

Please excuse the filth and oil...I had a spillage during servicing Big Grin OH, don't fall for the pissed washer, it gives the impression that its not centred, but it is Wink and there are two washers on the bolt as I, and a mate, think the bolt was bottoming out due to stretching...

Oh and here's a pic of the engine-side of new pulley:

[Image: IMG_20150409_100847.jpg]

Sorry for the glare, you can't really see the difference here but the casting around the hole looks thicker on the one side! I suspect that this is what is throwing it off and causing ticking noise.

I will get the measuring kit out later and check it out with pics posted.

I just wanted to warn people of the cheap ECP parts. I will add to this when I have spoken with ECP and I'm considering just getting a refund as there is no noise now and the tensioner has been changed.

Men, this is a boring thread, sorry...just warning y'all Wink
Thanks given by:
Ots because someone already put a solid one on your car. Hence no noise I 5 years. Plus ecp are mainly crap.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 10:02 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: Ots because someone already put a solid one on your car. Hence no noise I 5 years. Plus ecp are mainly crap.

The old is a solid one??? The previous owners were an old couple and didn't state whether they changed it or not so i assumed they didn't...intriguing. I still looks like its dampened and in two parts though, are they just classed as solid?

I agree ECP are mainly crap, I need to get my posts up to see if there are any sellers on here for genuine pug parts...are there?
Thanks given by:
Im sure that's a solid one. Its just got rubber damping. Classed as solid. Off a 307. Its common for garages to swap them out for solid ones as its less hassle. I know we do.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
That's definitely the updated design there. I think the thread title should be changed to "euros shite warning", do you believe us now?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 01:31 PM)Poodle Wrote: That's definitely the updated design there. I think the thread title should be changed to "euros shite warning", do you believe us now?

Ive always believed you guys, ECP was just convenient...and thats how they get you! Money was an issue too so I thought, 'why not'

How very silly of me, live and learn though I guess. I had another look through the history of my car and there is no mention of that, which seems strange, as its something worth putting down, I would have thought. Anywhoooo, whats the life span of those new type solid face ones? I wanna see if its worth refunding or replacing...for a spare like Wink
Thanks given by:
Got to be careful with euros
the chronic coolant leak I had from the headgasket job was being the euro thermostat had a much smaller o ring to the original. Pays to check before fitting
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 02:16 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Got to be careful with euros
the chronic coolant leak I had from the headgasket job was being the euro thermostat had a much smaller o ring to the original. Pays to check before fitting

I'm thinking more about changing the title to this thread lol
Thanks given by:
are we saying that a FEBI BILSTIEN crank pulley 26922 ( item 1446440 @ micksigarage.co.uk....is it ok to put this in as its advertising??? ) @ £48.47 inc vat and free uk delivery, is the one to go for....it seems to have a rubber bonded harmonic balance type, classed as "solid"......pug 307

is this the one to go for??

I realize that a different drive belt will be needed aprox 1175mm length....?

feedback welcomed. no im not mick.....and I do not work for them.

part number 26922

item number 1446440

from RP number 10248 ( no idea what RP number means )

inner dia 30mm

outer dia 158mm

width 27mm

it looks very similar to the one in the post above........3 cast webs on centre boss and keyway....

it tried to copy and paste the picture but that didne work.
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 02:28 PM)pug306driver Wrote: are we saying that a FEBI BILSTIEN crank pulley 26922 ( item 1446440 @ micksigarage.co.uk....is it ok to put this in as its advertising??? ) @ £48.47 inc vat and free uk delivery, is the one to go for....it seems to have a rubber bonded harmonic balance type, classed as "solid"......

is this the one to go for??

I realize that a different drive belt will be needed aprox 1175mm length....back in a mow with tech detail quoted  from the I site

feedback welcomed. no im not mick.....and I do not work for them.

Im using http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peugeo...8b0&000108

That has been running on both pulleys, there was enough swing in the auto tensioner...
Thanks given by: pug306driver
as above my post....with aircon use a 1748? rather than the shorter one ( airconless )
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 02:38 PM)pug306driver Wrote: as above my post....with aircon use a 1748? rather than the shorter one ( airconless )

Yeah, the belt I used is for aircon Wink

1748 is the same as 1750 iirc, negligible difference of 2mm but don't take my word for it Wink but the belt I posted is 1748...missus has car atm lol so can't go and get the dimensions from the belt print Wink

(09-04-2015, 02:38 PM)pug306driver Wrote: as above my post....with aircon use a 1748? rather than the shorter one ( airconless )

Also, I think w/o aircon the belt is longer Confused... I think Confused

**COULD SOMEONE CONFIRM**

http://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/...t=aux+belt

post number 12 Wink

Hold on, hold on.... 1478??? thats smaller methinks......Im confused and i bet you are non the wiser sorry Confused
Thanks given by:
Don't mind me, i'm mostly just trolling. Wink

Am almost certain the non-ac belt is shorter. The 1175mm belt is just for those who did have aircon and have removed it but not used a non-aircon aux belt tensioner arrangement. That febi part is fine, pretty sure that's what i've got.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 03:33 PM)Poodle Wrote: Don't mind me, i'm mostly just trolling. Wink

Am almost certain the non-ac belt is shorter. The 1175mm belt is just for those who did have aircon and have removed it but not used a non-aircon aux belt tensioner arrangement. That febi part is fine, pretty sure that's what i've got.

Sound mate, my head was a shed from jumping backwards and forwards.

Trolling is fine lol its people who can't take it that are the problem haha...Although some trolls on the internet can be a tad harsh Wink
Thanks given by:
It'd probably help of i used a few more smileys or put lol more often, but cba lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 08:35 PM)Poodle Wrote: It'd probably help of i used a few more smileys or put lol more often, but cba lol.

Irony: say you should use 'lol' more often but can't be bothered. Ends sentence with 'lol' Tongue
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 09:20 PM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(09-04-2015, 08:35 PM)Poodle Wrote: It'd probably help of i used a few more smileys or put lol more often, but cba lol.

Irony: say you should use 'lol' more often but can't be bothered. Ends sentence with 'lol' Tongue

No, it's realization he doesn't say it often? 

and you just reminded me of this

can you tell I can't sleep? lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
The irony was him saying he cant be bothered to type 'lol' (where needed), yet uses it unnecessarily at the end of his sentence lol
Thanks given by:
lol Wink

Half the fun is making people think you are being serious though, isn't it? Big Grin

I can come across as a right miserable, old git Big Grin....

Now get back to the f*cking topic!...

Wink
Thanks given by:
Exactly, deadpan humour doesn't work on teh interwebz. Meh, we can be grumpy old bastards together.

Indeed, back on topic, crankshaft pulleys are gay.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If I'm honest, I like being grumpy...makes it better when I aint alone Big Grin I does enjoy a good moan Wink

LOL ECP ones are tbh... I gotta get some cash back for the cacky new one! Tossers, the make is Q-drive just so you have all been warned Wink
Thanks given by:
ECP do sell some decent stuff... Depends who the maker is...if its in a Q-Drive box best to avoid! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 05:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: ECP do sell some decent stuff...  Depends who the maker is...if its in a Q-Drive box best to avoid! Tongue

I bloody know that now lol, conti belt is a decent price I thought Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeah I always buy the Conti belts there.
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 05:50 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah I always buy the Conti belts there.

VW swear by them and I don't hear of shit going wrong with them much...if any Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Conti belts are very very good. Q drive as tom said should just be avoided at all costs unless you wish to be constantly replacing parts!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 06:22 PM)Niall Wrote: Conti belts are very very good. Q drive as tom said should just be avoided at all costs unless you wish to be constantly replacing parts!

Unfortunately I found that out the hard way, but money was the issue at the time :/

Fortunately though, this is my 100th post, WEHEY!!! finally...crack out the bubbly...pour yourselves a drink, I don't Sad lol

Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crankshaft Pulley JTaylor2005 5 1,421 21-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  Crankshaft Pulley - removing bolt? CaptainHair 19 3,328 10-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Last Post: CaptainHair
  HDI- Which Crankshaft Pulley td163 25 9,444 09-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Last Post: highwayman306