Clutch issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch issue
Hello everyone

First post and hopefully someone can help me.

2000, standard 306 HDI

The other day I was driving along and my clutch went straight to the floor and wouldn't come back up.

After inspecting the cable, the bung had come out of the clutch fork and off the cable.

I thought a new cable would fix this... After having the new cable fitted at a garage, the clutch seems very bitty (for want of a better word), it kind of feels like it's rubbing on something and the pedal doesn't always come up, it stays around an inch to low.

It still works fine just doesn't feel right some how and is the second clutch cable the car has needed in the last year.

Help anyone?
Thanks given by:
Remove the spring on the pedal.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've been reading up on this, will try first thing in the morning. Thank you.
Thanks given by:
Bit the bullet and Pinged it off, nearly took my eye out!!! But unfortunately no different... Any other ideas??
Thanks given by:
You'll need to reset the clutch cable auto-adjust mechanism - stamp on the pedal and slip your foot off a few times, usually does the trick. Failing that you may find the mechanic hasn't installed the bulkhead grommet properly, had this issue a few weeks back with another lad off here. The grommet goes through the bulkhead just underneath the brake master cylinder servo, it should sit flush.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have a very similar problem, I just tuck my foot under and pull it up Big Grin so you're saying it could be the grommet...I might have a looksie.

Its been happening for over a year haha :/
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
The clutch seams to feel different everytime I get in the car. The biteing point is at the top now and the clutch feels harder to press, But think I'm just going to use it and let it develop.

Is there a way of checking the gromit??

The mechanic said the exhaust and cat are goosed and it needs anti roll bar bushes...

On slightly different note are there any cheap de-cat options?
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 11:10 AM)Farmingstock Wrote: The clutch seams to feel different everytime I get in the car. The biteing point is at the top now and the clutch feels harder to press, But think I'm just going to use it and let it develop.

The mechanic said the exhaust and cat are goosed and it needs anti roll bar bushes...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1427742937 

Great guys too. Or you can get a cat from ECP for a similar price
Thanks given by:
Have a look with a mirror, if it's not seated properly you'll be able to see the gap. More likely it just needs readjusting, as per my previous post.

Decat means she won't go through an MOT unless you're friendly with your tester, just so you know.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 11:10 AM)Farmingstock Wrote: The clutch seams to feel different everytime I get in the car. The biteing point is at the top now and the clutch feels harder to press, But think I'm just going to use it and let it develop.

As Iceman says, thats the route i'd go...although, i still have the 'cat' on ;D

Clutch is always hard mate, you could change the cable for a new one but it won't be long before it goes stiff again. Its toooo hot for it, I think I remember people trying to wrap in zaust sock on another forum to shield it but never found out if that worked...someone might come along and speak from experience though Wink

(09-04-2015, 01:42 PM)Poodle Wrote: Have a look with a mirror, if it's not seated properly you'll be able to see the gap. More likely it just needs readjusting, as per my previous post.

Decat means she won't go through an MOT unless you're friendly with your tester, just so you know.

Is this a can of worms... it thought they couldn't pull you up on that, depending on age and fuel... aren't 306's a bit too old for the legislation?
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 01:42 PM)Poodle Wrote: Have a look with a mirror, if it's not seated properly you'll be able to see the gap. More likely it just needs readjusting, as per my previous post.

The ebay link actually make a point of saying it will still pass. Is it no longer just a smoke test for diesels? 
Thanks given by:
We might be opening up old wounds here Ice Wink
Thanks given by:
My mate is an mot tester so i'm good either way lol
Thanks given by:
Not at all, it used to be a grey area, but that changed a few months ago. It is still just a smoke test, but if the vehicle had a cat fitted as standard it must be present at time of test, simple as that tbh. Whether or not the tester gives a shit is an entirely different matter. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think the guys I take it too wouldn't give a rats about it... KwikShit might though....tossers!

I think sorting my MAF out is a must if its to be smoke tested at MOT lol

I'm dying to get my posts up to see the forsale section, are there any parts dealers on here???

PS sorry for hijack Confused
Thanks given by:
My maf is fooked as well, just driving with it unplugged. Im hoping the one i bought off Tom works, fingers crossed!
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 04:00 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: My maf is fooked as well, just driving with it unplugged. Im hoping the one i bought off Tom works, fingers crossed!

Im unplugged too haha, I need to get one asap, EML is pissing me off now lol best of it was the light was one for nearly 4 months before I realised the it was the MAF that was screwed Big Grin

I got in and thought 'ffs this is sluggish, it used to pull like a train uphill' then a pulled the plug and WHOOSH!! haha dumbass
Thanks given by:
You're sorted then. Smile

Honestly, just buy a genuine new maf, vdo is what you need. You get what you pay for and the balance is usually worth it on sensors.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replys everyone, the clutch seams to be usable now, still stiff and notchey but I can't see this grommit?? Probably a silly question but Should I be looking for it inside or underneath??

I'm not to fussed about it having a cat. The car has 11 months mot so I will deal with that problem when I get to it and I know a guy, so should be ok.

I read somewhere online, that you can use a Dturbo cat free exhaust the flange just needs changing and these are only £20 Ish???
Thanks given by:
Whats actually wrong with your current cat and exhaust? 
Thanks given by:
Both cat and centre section are split and blowing, will last a little while but in all honesty I bought the car as a spare whilst I had my other car fixed. 3 years later it has never missed a beat at all until now really... It's done almost 180,000 and gets shall we say used. It has taken everything I could possibly throw at it and I think it's about time I moved on, but until I find a new motor I want to keep it "saleable".
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 10:47 PM)Farmingstock Wrote: Both cat and centre section are split and blowing, will last a little while but in all honesty I bought the car as a spare whilst I had my other car fixed. 3 years later it has never missed a beat at all until now really... It's done almost 180,000 and gets shall we say used. It has taken everything I could possibly throw at it and I think it's about time I moved on, but until I find a new motor I want to keep it "saleable".

Just get them welded, won't cost much
Thanks given by:
I think they are past welding or already have been welded. But I'll have another look at it!
Thanks given by:
Grommet is in the engine bay, that's where the brake servo is. The dturbo pipe doesn't fit well even once you've swapped the flanges, just buy an hdi pipe, you can get them for about 40 quid iirc.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
You can get HDi decat pipe for £40, the centre pipe which bypasses the centre box £40 and a cheap 2nd-hand back box ~£20

The clutch is a bit more, I think a new cable is £30+ and the clutch itself is between £70-£120 just depends where you get it and what the make is...then there's fitting the damn thing Confused
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 06:25 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: You can get HDi decat pipe for £40, the centre pipe which bypasses the centre box £40 and a cheap 2nd-hand back box ~£20

The clutch is a bit more, I think a new cable is £30+ and the clutch itself is between £70-£120 just depends where you get it and what the make is...then there's fitting the damn thing Confused

You can get a new dturbo backbox with chrome tailpipe for £22, mid silencer for £22 and cable around the same price from ECP
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replys guys, I'll look into the exhaust. I had the clutch cable changed the other day and that is when the problems started. Honestly before the actual cable snapped the clutch was absolutely perfect and fine, with the new cable fitted it's horrid.
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 09:08 AM)Farmingstock Wrote: Thanks for the replys guys, I'll look into the exhaust. I had the clutch cable changed the other day and that is when the problems started. Honestly before the actual cable snapped the clutch was absolutely perfect and fine, with the new cable fitted it's horrid.

Take it back to who fitted it and tell them to sort it. Simples Smile
Thanks given by:
Done that and they changed the cable again, better than it was the first time they did it but still not right!!
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2015, 10:56 AM)Farmingstock Wrote: Done that and they changed the cable again, better than it was the first time they did it but still not right!!

Take it back again until they sort t?
Thanks given by: