Pic Request-HDI On Lowering Springs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pic Request-HDI On Lowering Springs
Hi guys,

Can you guys post up your lowered HDIs with a bit of info as to what springs you are running with what drop was achieved please? Considering my different options and not sure whether to uprated the shocks at the same time as springs.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
BUMPY

I'd be a bit interested in this actually Wink
Thanks given by:
Have a look at my estate in my sig pic below, i think its about 40mm lower on the front (previous owner lowered it on springs), but in short, if you go any more than 40mm, you'll definitely want uprated shocks. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
60mm lowering springs at the front, not sure on the back as that was done before i bought the car, car is on cyclones with 50 profile tyres.
Thanks given by:
About 50mm all round on 60 profile tyres:

[Image: DSC_0321_zps37f2cb68.jpg]
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks guys... Keep em coming! What make of springs are they too?

Found a set of PI front struts & 30mm springs and rear shocks for £250.....Can't find anything more than 30mm on eBay though.
Thanks given by:
Mine's on avo coilovers. Tbh mate if you're going to buy silly cheap struts you might as well not bother, they'll most likely give a pretty poor ride and give up the ghost within a couple of years.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Would you say spax are cheap shite poodle?
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
Depends what end of the range you go for IMO
Thanks given by:
Eibachs or don't bother imo.... Wink Only do them in 35mm drop as well so no impractical lows possible there either. Big Grin

I had some cheap shite on my second car (spax or gmaxx iirc) and ruined the ride completely. Though of course if you're going for a 60mm drop you're not bothered by comfort anyway I suppose. lol

Xsara shocks and springs are a great cheap alternative, give a ~25mm drop without compromising ride and cost sod all, think mine were only £35 posted!

But best I've had by far were the Eibach's...good drop, good ride, reduced roll, only thing to fault them on is the price lol.
Thanks given by: highwayman306
(09-04-2015, 08:32 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Eibachs or don't bother imo.... Wink  Only do them in 35mm drop as well so no impractical lows possible there either. Big Grin

I had some cheap shite on my second car (spax or gmaxx iirc) and ruined the ride completely.  Though of course if you're going for a 60mm drop you're not bothered by comfort anyway I suppose. lol

Xsara shocks and springs are a great cheap alternative, give a ~25mm drop without compromising ride and cost sod all, think mine were only £35 posted!

But best I've had by far were the Eibach's...good drop, good ride, reduced roll, only thing to fault them on is the price lol.

Nice one mate, I've made a mental note for the xsara springs and shocks...what model xsara were they from and was the ride nice?
Thanks given by:
Has anyone got any pics with Eibachs on at all? They say only a 30mm drop. Seems very tame especially on Cyclones which I will be on very soon.

ConorTRG..... Sorry mate I can't reply to your pm yet.
Thanks given by:
I haven't been in a car running spax to my knowledge, so can't really comment. I've been very impressed with the b8/eibach combo, same goes for gaz golds and avos on the coilover front, although neither can compete with KWs... All comes down to the old adage: you get what you pay for. If you just want it dropped on its arse and don't care about ride quality, handling or longevity then just get some TA technix/racelands.

What're your plans for the car? Might help us give you some more relevant information and advice if we know what you're aiming for.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sorry, theyre from the Xsara VTS, basically equivalent to GTi6 but with shorter shock bodies and a smoother ride I found.

30mm isn't a massive drop, but is the best compromise for handling and ride as well as looks. If you want a big ~60mm drop you will sacrifice both of those. I do have pics but not had the time to find them and post them here, they're in my previous project threads. China Estate was on Eibachs, China 3dr and Moonstone 5dr were on Xsara's.
Thanks given by:
Yeah the geometry goes all to f*ck with anything much past a 30mm drop.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My ideas are for handling, ride quality and longevity really (I know, I know...its french) , I'm not fussed about slamming it, I drive a 306... it already looks good haha Wink

I thought the HDi Dturbo's came with GTI6 suspension setup though...? Could I mash up the VTS shocks with springs I have?... Excuse me if its dumb, I don't really deal much in the ways of suspension, hense the interest Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I rate my Apex lowering kit highly, it rides really well and gives a nice drop.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 02:19 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: I rate my Apex lowering kit highly, it rides really well and gives a nice drop.

Is that what you are rocking Kezzie? Wink
Thanks given by:
HDi DTurbos came with similar shocks and springs to the '6 but they aren't the same having swapped between them! Plus a lot have been replaced with pattern parts now anyway. The GTi shocks and springs raise a HDi as the GTi engine weighs nearly as much as Piggys 2.1... Itwasntme

The HDi springs would physically fit on Xsara shocks, but its a bit pointless when you can buy a pair of Xsara shocks, springs and decent top mounts for under £40 posted imo. Also not sure how the drop and ride would be with HDi DT springs.

Standard DTurbo HDi height (original OE shocks!)

[Image: IMAG3552_zps0d6e5ba7.jpg]

Xsara shocks and springs -

[Image: IMAG3713_zpsf32bd3f1.jpg]

Beleieved Meridian height on a DTurbo Rolleyes

[Image: IMAG3334_zpsa0638ef6.jpg]

[Image: IMAG3329_zps1e29fc89.jpg]

Xsara shocks and springs -

[Image: IMAG3568_zpsfda43555.jpg]

Eibachs on GTi struts -

[Image: EstateMilage015_zps6307f500.jpg]

1.4 on cheap shite springs ~40mm with 16s (oh dear!)

[Image: Photo-0226.jpg]

Same setup but 15s

[Image: Photo-0231.jpg]

1.4 on Koni shocks and 40mm springs on 16s

[Image: Photo-0022-1.jpg]

Same setup on 15s

[Image: Photo-0026.jpg]

Cheap shite 60mm on 17s..no rear lowering. Fail.

[Image: IMAG3180_zpsc1bba6d4.jpg]

And for perspective, Meridian height haha. lol

[Image: Photo-0119-3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine looks like the 2nd to last 'fail' one lol 

Both my front springs have been changed prior to my ownership on seperate occasions but must be the wrong ones as it sits like a lowered car at the front and high at the back lol
Thanks given by:
Mine looks lower than the first one and more like the 2nd Confused and it's standard afaik ??? Confused Im on cyclones with 195/50/15 tyres and I am sure that nothing has been changed

I could be wrong, the missus has the car atm Sad boo and I can't compare from memory haha... Big Grin

(09-04-2015, 08:32 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Xsara shocks and springs are a great cheap alternative, give a ~25mm drop without compromising ride and cost sod all, think mine were only £35 posted!

So where can I get these from then Tom? Big Grin
Thanks given by:
50 profile tyres make a big difference, all of mine were on the correct 55 profiles.

Unfortunately I never measured to compare any of them, as the picture angle obviously makes a slight difference. It is possible that the OE DTurbo shocks had had their springs replaced now I think about it, I only got the part number from the shocks.

Bought mine from ebay, theres usually a guy called 306gtiparts or similar selling pairs of Xsara struts, as well as randomers as well. Or of course the local scrap yard.
Thanks given by:
Mine was on Apex, it's a monster truck now and the Apex set up is for sale.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Missus is back, il go get a pic and upload then you can tell me Wink brb

Not the greatest pic and it needs cleaning, drastically lol (MAF issues) but I think you will get the idea Wink

[Image: IMG_20150409_174426.jpg]

Back looks high as drive is a slope and handbrake is naff on n/s lol Wink plus the rear tyres are 195/55/15
Thanks given by:
I was really contemplating going with Bilstein struts and Eibach springs but put off by the fact that they only give a 30mm drop. The struts and springs have been on the car since I bought it and not really sure what they are but I'm sure it's around a 40mm drop over standard and wouldn't want to go much higher because I just don't like the look as much. Since my current springs are old I'm guessing they've sagged a lot (and certainly bounce around) I'm very dubious about getting cheap springs as I want the car to feel tight and handle well as well as lasting longer than a year.

At this point after reading this thread I may just go for Eibach springs and match the rear height if I have to, although I wont regret the handling improvements it's an expensive purchase if I hate how the car sits on them.
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2015, 01:28 PM)td163 Wrote: Has anyone got any pics with Eibachs on at all? They say only a 30mm drop. Seems very tame especially on Cyclones which I will be on very soon.

ConorTRG..... Sorry mate I can't reply to your pm yet.

[attachment=22592]

Thats mine on Bilstein B8s with Eibachs on 16" wheels
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the pictures guys! Ended up going for Bilstein front and back shocks with just some 40mm budget lowering springs just to see if that's enough of a drop or not before committing alot of money.
Thanks given by:
that's anice moonstone there in the first picture toms.. when it had a bonnet haha
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Does it no longer have a bonnet? Taking weight saving a bit too far... lol
Thanks given by: