Front mount on stage 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front mount on stage 1
That to my95??
Thanks given by:
Yeah, i didn't realise there was a question in your post?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just wondering if the facepalm smiley was a reference to something I had said haha
Thanks given by:
I can do one for you too if you like. Not sure what at yet, but daresay i'll find something. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Basically more boost = more air. If you're already running remapped without altering the boost (stage 1) then you've already used all the spare air, you can't have more power without a bit more boost because it will just produce smoke. You probably will get a tiny bit more power from the stage 1 map and an inter cooler because you're burning it more efficiently with a cooler denser charge, but it's not going to make a massive difference until you add more fuel and more boost to burn that fuel.

As a very rough calculation you can make a lineariation of boost pressure vs BHP output, but it's not spot on and it's nowhere near ideal but it seems to be what is being asked of this thread. For example stock boost pressure is 14 psi with 90 BHP, boost for 150 BHP is 20 psi.

This works out roughly 1 psi per 10 BHP of extra fuelling, so if you want to cleanly burn 130 BHP you're going to want around 18 psi of boost. Basically you can't have more power than a stage 1 without increasing the boost as boost pressure = air mass flow = power.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I was just saying Stage 1 to make it more understandable Piggy as im currently running a standard stage 1
Yes I had 140 in mind like the 110
Was planning on intercooler and decat
What psi are normal stage 1s running as well as very high stage 1's Steve? (as in standard car remapped vs intercooled car remapped) 
Thanks given by:
What im wondering is tihis.

The stock 14psi that I keep hearing, Is that with an intercooler set-up on and measured at the intake manifold? Or is it with no intercooler and measured at the turbo outlet from the wastegate actuator pipe?

I have 125hp worth of fueling mapped in. It's fairly smokey when proper flooring it. If I was to put an intercooler on and up the boost from 14-17 would that be a reliable and good setup?

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
So a standard stage 1 runs about 16 psi without adjusting the boost, I'd imagine putting an intercooler on will drop that a couple of psi at the manifold but you should get the same effective mass flow, it's hard to give an exact answer because I've never set up an intercooler build without touching the boost.

The answer to your question is basically if it smokes with the intercooler on, turn the boost up a tiny bit until it doesn't, you can go safely to 20 psi no matter how much BHP the map is running.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve
So the more supporting mods you have the easier and higher psi the turbo will be able to push out? Or does it drop?
Thanks given by:
Haha touche. Tongue

Exactly as you say, for the most part. Think of it in terms of air flow and density. Reducing restrictions helps air flow. The intercooler acts as a restriction, but with positive effect on air density (because of the cooling) - the net effect is beneficial, but to gain much from it the boost output from the turbo must be increased to counter the loss across the intercooler.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Nice, well I am gonna stick a cooler on and then up the boost to about 16/17ish and see if that clears up some of the smoke Smile

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front mount intercooler hdi vinny 0 965 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM
Last Post: vinny
Star Front mount intercooler mountings/brackets 306rhys 20 3,370 07-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Last Post: 306rhys
  Front side mount exhaust? JTaylor2005 5 1,579 20-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005